PDA

View Full Version : New Router Table - Function over form

dazzler
27th February 2006, 09:04 PM
Hey

Finished my new router table.:)

Sticking with my "function over form" motto I spent most time on the top and little on the base.

For the base I used one of those prepack steel workbenches that you can get from bunnings and can be dissassembled when you move. As long as they havent been apart much they are very stable.

I have inverted the bottom rails and top and mounted castor wheels (lockable) so that it can move around.

The top is 2 x sheets of 18mm MDF glued and then finished with five coats of danish oil on all surfaces and then finished with wax. (the method that pat warner uses). The top is 1200mm x 600mm and is edged with Tas Oak.

The top is screwed to the 12mm mdf top that comes with the workbench.

Two mitre tracks are fitted for the fence (yet to be finished).

Down below is a box that is a snug fit up against the base of the top to give it some support and is fitted with a 4" dust extractor fitting.

Have fitted my Ryobi ERT2100 that has had the spring removed and above and below table adjuster. (see hyperlink)

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=28207&highlight=spring

A woodpeckers extreme extension collett raises the bits for above table changes and enough bit height.

All up cost was Just under $400 which I think is a barry bargain given it has variable speed, above table adjusting and bit change.

I use a $10 dick smith cordless drill for fast raising/lowering.

cheers

dazzler

Caliban
27th February 2006, 09:15 PM
Dazzler that is awesome.
Just one question, how does the screwdriver raise and lower the router.? Also what is an above/below table adjuster? Sounds like I need one(or two) for my pair of $39 gmc fixed base routers.

Auld Bassoon
27th February 2006, 09:23 PM
Good stuff Dazzler!

What are you going to do for the fence, and also for dust collection?

BTW, and just as an observation, I thought of doing much what you have done wrt the top, but went with a (as they were) Woodpeckers engineered table top as it is both stable and very flat - and fits the insert plate.

I must admit I do keep "humming & hawing" over an nice Incra router table fence setup, but in all honesty, my shop made jobby does all that I need.

Methinks I'm moving from the 'gizmo' stage to the "will it make me a better woodworker" one. At some point, yet to be determined, I'll reach the "now how can I make this as good, but cheaper for me" stage... :rolleyes:

dazzler
27th February 2006, 09:23 PM
Dazzler that is awesome.
Just one question, how does the screwdriver raise and lower the router.? Also what is an above/below table adjuster? Sounds like I need one(or two) for my pair of $39 gmc fixed base routers.

Hey mate

I have a threaded rod that runs through the router and I can adjust the router up and down with the nut on the top or the nut on the bottom.

Have a look at the hyperlink and it shows how I did it. Dont know about the GMC but if you take some photos and upload should be able to tell if its possible.

Or I could just go into bunnings with a screwdriver........
:p
"Sir please dont pull our routers apart":rolleyes:

Below are the adjusting nuts.

Thanks Steve,

I am going with an aluminium 1200mm long fence with mdf faces and a 600mm mdf short one. And the rocker jig;)

cheers

dazzler