PDA

View Full Version : My latest creations (bowl and pen)

CameronPotter
1st March 2006, 08:53 AM
This is a Mont Blanc pen made using store built acrylic (my first MB pen) - the centre ring fit was so tight I needed to use the press to squeeze it on... I know that this is not the pen forum, but the two were taken together, so I will post it here...

The bowl is from a "reject" from Kev Morse that he gave me to practice as a beginner. That dark line is a hairline crack - too be quite truthful, I don't really mind it...

The finish is to 1200 grit followed by EEE (love that stuff) and then a generous coat of walnut oil. This should make for a bowl that can handle all kinds of nasty rigours and come through with a nice patina - ala Richard Raffan.

The walnut oil is gorgeous and the wood glows.

The fiddleback and burl properties of the wood give real depth.

I think I need to order some more bowl blanks from Mr Morse...

Cam

ps Please ignore the icing sugar on the bench I took the photo on...

pps I tried to post this last night, but I think that either the site was down or simply too full!

hughie
1st March 2006, 09:24 AM
Cameron.
Great effort. I have been looking at pens but never got around to it.
Never mind the crack in the bowl, you should have seen my first efforts.... first rate fire wood. In fact I have made far more fire wood than anything else.........sign, the path of the turner is fraught with difficulties, knots and cracks.
hughie

ptc
1st March 2006, 09:25 AM
Are you sure that's icing sugar ????
Where do you get the Walnut oil from here in tas.

CameronPotter
1st March 2006, 10:58 AM
Well, it was crumbs of some kind - certianly not "icing sugar" if that is what you meant... :p

I got the walnut oil from the Health Food shop in Centrepoint in Hobart.

It was available from a few places, but none of them were cheap.

It come in a brown tin and is produced in France.

If you are in Hobart I am happy to show you what it looks like before you spend your money on something you may not like. It is about $12 for a small can.

Cam

CameronPotter
1st March 2006, 11:00 AM
Hughie, I wasn't at all worried about the crack. Actually, I don't mind it at all. But I pointed it out as it was why the blank was assigned "reject" status. I reckon that the wood is gorgeous and I am happy that I got it.

As for pens, they are very satisfying, practical and FAST to do...

Cam

KevM
1st March 2006, 12:26 PM
Cam,
Glad to see you are using the blanks for practice. Nice job. Greenie dispatched.

Looks like you may have now mastered the bowl gouge.

Let me know what sizes/species you need?

Kev M

CameronPotter
1st March 2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks Kev! PM on its way...

Cam

TTIT
1st March 2006, 02:03 PM
Cam - looks like you're finally under way with the turning. Good stuff! Stylish looking pen! Don't make excuses for the "features" in your wood. I find the greatest "oohs" and "aaahs" are generated by the crappiest bits of wood - cracks, knot holes - you name it. I don't even bother filling most of them unless they are a health hazard (mine!):D :D :D
After writing that, you'll see my next post as a bit hypocritical !!!;)

CameronPotter
1st March 2006, 02:27 PM
As I have said, I have no problem with the crack, but wanted to acknowledge who supplied me the blank. Then I also wanted to point out how generous he Kev was, and how nice the piece of wood was, even though it has an imperfection.

As for filling it, the crack can be seen, but is so small that it can barely be felt.

Cheers

Cam

ss_11000
1st March 2006, 03:20 PM
This is a Mont Blanc pen made using store built acrylic (my first MB pen) - !

whats the acrylic number?

btw, me thinks the pen looks great:D and the bowl looks cool:D

CameronPotter
1st March 2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks Stirlo. I don't know what you mean by acrylic number.

I bought it from the local supplier for Carbatec stuff and it was a marbled acrylic pen blank with white and red and black definition lines.

Cam

ss_11000
1st March 2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks Stirlo. I don't know what you mean by acrylic number.

I bought it from the local supplier for Carbatec stuff and it was a marbled acrylic pen blank with white and red and black definition lines.

Cam

at carbatec they have a red and white and black acrylic number S53. i was wondering if it was the same one you used. but now that i look again i see it probably isn't.

CameronPotter
1st March 2006, 03:39 PM
I just looked it up. Yep. It was s53.

For me, I just picked it up from the counter though! :p

Cam

ptc
1st March 2006, 05:02 PM
Cam
thanks for info on oil,
will see if it available in Burnie next time I go.
with all the talk about cracks ( is that what was on the table ????)
only kidding.

CameronPotter
1st March 2006, 05:09 PM
with all the talk about cracks ( is that what was on the table ????)
only kidding.

:D :D :D

As for the oil, no problem.

If you want to try some and can't find it, let me know (PM) and I will get a can from here and send it up to you.

Cam

ptc
1st March 2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks Cam.
Will try burnie,
if I am unable to locate some.
will contact you.
What made you use it. ?

CameronPotter
2nd March 2006, 08:59 AM
I did a lot of searching for what was recommended for food bowls that may have moist foods in them. There were a list of responses but the most appealing one (to me) was walnut oil. Apparently it is what French turners have used since turning began.

Cam

ptc
2nd March 2006, 10:14 AM
The old way is some times the best.

CameronPotter
2nd March 2006, 10:19 AM
Yep. That is not to say I will give up on the modern things (like Shellawax Cream which is awesome), but for food bowls, I think I like Walnut oil.

Moviefan
4th March 2006, 08:58 AM
Great work Cameron :)