PDA

View Full Version : Painting Aluminium

Wood Butcher
1st March 2006, 10:53 AM
I am currently renovating an old bandsaw that I was given and the last job I have is to repaint the aluminium wheel guards. I had always thought that you have to use an etch primer with aluminium but I was wondering if it is absolutely essential. The surface has been roughed up by the wire brush used to strip the old paint off and I do have some oxide primer that I could use.
I don't really want to get more paint as the cost of etch primer is high and I wouldn't have any use for the leftover (the guards are about the size of an A4 sheet of paper each so I don't need much).

Thanks in advance!

echnidna
1st March 2006, 11:04 AM
you can get an affordable etch primer in a spray can from supercheap autos

durwood
1st March 2006, 07:56 PM
If your oxide primer is enamel based (thinned with turps) it will stick to the aluminium OK. If its lacquer based the aluminium will need a good scratching and won't stick quite so well.

As its only for the wheel guards any reasonable paint process should work but a coat of etch out of a pressure pack can as suggested by echnidna would be better. The etch should last for a good while in the pressure pack tin in case you need to use it for something. Its always a better first coat on any metal.