PDA

View Full Version : Thicknesser advice please

DonR
1st March 2006, 11:10 AM
Just read the discussion in 2002 about 12.5" thicknessers and wondered if I could ask for advice from those with more knowledge of these things than I have. I'm in the market for a 14" or 15" single phase thicknesser for moderate home use and have done the usual thing - compared specs and prices on the net and from local suppliers.
There is the usual range of Taiwanese/Chinese machines which look suspiciously like clones except for cosmetic differences.
But what of the quality of the machinery itself ? How do Carba-tec, Jet, Master, TWM etc compare? The finish on some of the machines I have looked at has been pretty average but there's not a lot one can tell about performance from looking at them!

Aprofessional furniture maker I know has the 15" Master (from Glenfords, ex Taiwan!) and he is very happy with that. Jet also seems to get good raps.

Are there other brands (say from Germany, UK, etc) I should consider - and where are they available? I have easy access to Bne although I am out of town a bit.
I would rather pay a bit more for quality since I've found that cheap is usually expensive! Any recommendations and suggestions from members of the Forum would be very much appreciated.
I'm prepared to pay in the $1500 - $2000 range if necessary for a 14"- 15" machine. And good 2nd hand is also an option.
Many thanks . . I have just joined the forum and have found the discussion threads very interesting.
Don

underused
1st March 2006, 11:24 AM
Hello Mate,

If You are looking for a good thicknesser, as with all tools, buy the best You can afford.
If space isnt too much of an issue (it is for me...) I'd be looking for an old, 2nd hand industrial thicknesser. It'll last forever. If You dont fancy that, from the names You mentioned above, I like the Jet 15" thicknesser. very solid (taiwanese made) machine. Wongo has one I think. Look him up mate.
Cheers. Gary.

DonR
1st March 2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks Gary - I agree with buying the best one can afford (at the time). Have emailed wongo re his thicknesser. Will look around for a 2nd hand industrial machine, but I suspect I'll need either a crane to shift it, or I'll have to marry a much stronger wife, or two. Don

Fossil
1st March 2006, 01:21 PM
If you send me a PM I will tell you where there is a 15" jet in as new condition as you can get for a second hand machine. It only looks like it has had 2 or 3 boards though it. The guy wants $1100.00 for it. It is in Sydney though, so transport costs would need to be factored in.

Wood Butcher
1st March 2006, 02:09 PM
I don't know if it is sold yet but Majorpanic had a thicknesser for sale at the meet & greet in Brisbane a few weeks ago. Try sending him a PM, never hurts to ask!

Here's the link to his thread! (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=17356)

Nuggett
1st March 2006, 02:26 PM
Hi
F.W.it's Worth I own the jet enclosed base with castor's, excellent machine. had mine for about 2.5 years. heavy but able to move around the workshop very easily, When I bought this I also bought the performax sander after putting the boards though the thickeners run em through the performax with about 400- 600 grit comes out as smooth as baby's AXXX. Also I own the Jet
8ins jointer can't have one without the other- Having said that there I jig available to straighten the boards but I feel there a limit to what they can do?
That price quoted for second hand Jet sounded good -might be worth a look.
Good luck

Regards Nuggett:)