PDA

View Full Version : nails

mic-d
1st March 2006, 03:05 PM
Just wanted to post the results of a little experiment to see the corrosion resistance of 3 types of nails, which was buried in an earlier thread. I placed 3 bright nails, 3 hot-dipped galvanised nails and 3 "galvanised" t-nails into 3 glasses of salt water. The bright nails started to rust within hours naturally enough. The hot-dipped gal nails are still unchanged and its been 10 days now.
The so-called "galvanised" t-nails started rusting after only 4 days and there in now considerable rust around the head and tip. Actually those areas seem to be rusting faster than the bright nails. This is one of the reasons why these nails are not recommended for exterior flooring and balustrades. I think it is quite misleading to label these nails galvanised, its just a crap zinc electroplate.
Cheers
Michael

Auld Bassoon
1st March 2006, 05:53 PM
This is quite possibly a very dumb question, but then I'm used to posing those :D

Does anyone still use bronze nails, or perhaps a little more contemporary, carbon-composite ones?

mic-d
1st March 2006, 07:08 PM
I think bronze nails are still used and recommended for use with WRC, but that's the only time I've heard of recent use.

Cheers
Michael

Markw
2nd March 2006, 09:23 AM
I think bronze nails are still used and recommended for use with WRC, but that's the only time I've heard of recent use.

Cheers
Michael

World Rally Championship :confused: :confused: :confused:

Ben (TM)
2nd March 2006, 03:36 PM
World Rally Championship :confused: :confused: :confused:
Western Red Ceder

Markw
2nd March 2006, 06:04 PM
Western Red Ceder

Doh

Please insert embarrased dumb face here

ptyltd
3rd March 2006, 12:10 PM
Just on this topic I had a question in regards to bright nails and rust. When I got my framing gun I purchased bright nails for the frame and roof construction because I understood this was what was used by most trades however in hindsight I am slightly concerned I should have gone with the galvanized nails because of the exposure to weather during construction. What I mean is once the frames are nailed until the roof is constructed and sheeted the frames (and thus nail ends) will get wet if it rains. If most builders are using bright nails and given I see a lot of frames exposed to the rain etc. what is the deal here in relation to the nails and rust? My frames have been exposed to a bit of rain this week (although they are mostly protected by a tarp) and I can see what appears to be rust discoloration on the nail ends. Is this normal or not etc?

ThePope
3rd March 2006, 12:50 PM
My frames have been exposed to a bit of rain this week (although they are mostly protected by a tarp) and I can see what appears to be rust discoloration on the nail ends. Is this normal or not etc?

Yes very normal and nothing to worry about, 99% of the time a frame is exposed to the elements for a very brief period, any minor amount of rust is not going to have any adverse effects.

You'd have to have many many months exposure before it became a concern and before that occured the timber will have 'walked' all over the place, in other words the frame will be stuffed long before the nails :)