PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Resin Euro Pen

CameronPotter
2nd March 2006, 08:40 PM
Well, here is my most successful pen from a homebrew PR.

I am pretty happy with it! :D

Cam

Wood Butcher
2nd March 2006, 08:55 PM
Looks Great Cam.

How hard was casting the resin and where did you get the ingredients from??

CameronPotter
2nd March 2006, 09:26 PM
I tried several times to get it right, but really that was my own stupid fault.

All you need to do is mix up two batches of resin (with half the prescribed amount of catalyst). Wait for the resin to get a little syrupy and pour them into a plastic container which will be your mold (you don't need latex). Give them a GENTLE stir and you are done.

Leave it 24 hours and it is ready to go.

The more syrupy it gets, the better the colour definition, but also the harder it is to stir without adding air bubbles.

A few pointers:
DON'T use opaques, transparents look a lot better and opaques overwhelm any transparent you use.

Use Pearlex (you can even only use it to colour the resin).

See www.penturners.org (http://www.penturners.org) and check out the articles there on casting resin.

Now, as to where to get it, I get it from my local fibreglass shop. Use "clear casting resin" which will need 1mL hardener to 100mL of resin (it usually says 50:1, but 100:1 works better for our purposes.

Cam

Tool Man
5th March 2006, 08:52 PM
nice work i likey very muchy...:) :D :) :D :p
love to try that casting bizzo one day but for now am happy
to stick with store bought. don't want to bite off more than i can chew:o

fxst
5th March 2006, 09:40 PM
Nice work Cam:D
I want to try it but no local suppliers here
where do you get your pigments from?
Pete

CameronPotter
6th March 2006, 09:55 AM
It really isn't hard (once you stop trying too much).

I get my pigments from our local fibreglass shop. The stuff you want is called Pearlex.

If you can't find any locally, I can buy some here and post it to you is necessary. Mind you, I reckon that there must be a supplier somewhere nearby.

Cam