PDA

View Full Version : MC-900 Problem with vibration

Kirwilli
4th March 2006, 06:29 PM
:mad: Lately I have been having some vibration problems when using my MC-900. The noise/vibration appears to be coming from around the motor and gear housing. The head is securely locked down and the bench is well bedded down. I can hear some occasional minor rattling from the gear housing. Has anybody had this problem with this brand of lathe.

Henry

Jim Carroll
4th March 2006, 08:16 PM
As indicated in the past start with the belt then check the pulleys on the motor and headstock spindle.
Wear and tear on these parts is common.
Pull it all apart and make sure nothing is excessivly worn and check the belt for undu wear, replace if necessary.

TTIT
5th March 2006, 12:33 AM
Hows your drive belt??? I found when my original belt started to shred itself there was a bit of noise and vibration. If it's worn out, grab an 'A' section (A22) belt instead of the original ('M' section I think), it'll last forever.:)

Kirwilli
5th March 2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the help on the problem. Yes it appears that the belt is worn and may require replacing. However I also found that that littel pin on the headstock claw is missing. It is the rear one that missing. I have placed a temporary drift into the hole until I get a new one. It has reduced the vibration considerably. Hoping that when the belt is repaced all vibration will be gone.

Thanks again

Henry

Tornatus
8th March 2006, 04:14 PM
I also found that that littel pin on the headstock claw is missing. It is the rear one that missing. I have placed a temporary drift into the hole until I get a new one. It has reduced the vibration considerably.

This problem with the MC900 has been addressed previously in a number of postings - the same thing happened to me, and after reading the advice on this forum, I went to my local specialty fasteners shop and obtained a high-tensile bolt of the right dimenions to go into the hole in the end of the lock-shaft. I then drilled the hole right through, and secured the new bolt/pin with a nylock nut. So far, there has been no sign of the bolt shifting and the headstock has stayed firmly locked down.

Kirwilli
9th March 2006, 07:10 PM
:) I have just replaced the original belt with an A22 and fitted the missing pin from the rear of the head stock. MC900 running fine, slightly slower speeds due to the thickness of the A22 belt. But running better than it ever did.

Henry

TTIT
10th March 2006, 08:59 AM
:) I have just replaced the original belt with an A22 and fitted the missing pin from the rear of the head stock. MC900 running fine, slightly slower speeds due to the thickness of the A22 belt. But running better than it ever did.

Henry

Good to hear! I found the slower speeds a big advantage for large/roughing work and sanding and you should find you'll still have enough at the high end for small spindle work, burnishing etc.:D