PDA

View Full Version : Fitting out the new shed

TommyC
5th March 2006, 08:22 AM
Gday all, my first post.....

Reading this forum over the last few months, i can see that this is a group of people who are pretty passionate about their woodwork.

I have been building a shed (retreat, palace, cave or whatever name suits on the day) in my back garden over the last few months. It will be a fantastic place to do all sorts of STUFF!! I have picked up quite a few useful tips from the forum that i have incorporated into my shed, so i thought i should tell you all about how i am going about building mine.

I am a project manager for a construction company, so am as long on handy contacts as i am short on practical ability in the building department. I have used subbies to put most of my shed together, and have obtained a building permit from a private building surveyor prior to commencing works (almost.....impatience got the better of me at the start!)

It is a 7m x 3.5m concrete slab with a pine framed weatherboard clad structure, internal height is 2.5m to u/s of trusses. The roof is colourbond with insulation, and i have packed the walls with sound insulation material (Tontine material used for packing office partition walls) before lining the inside with 10mm hardwood faced poplar core ply. plenty of Fluoro lights, four windows and a dunny (to avoid unscheduled concentration disrupting trips inside...) I have a 1m wide verandah over the windows which provides good shade from direct sun in the afternoons. Will build a deck out there one day. At the back, and opening separately is a double door cupboard where all the gardening (read "non woodwork related") items are quarantined.

Inside is lots of power points (9) laid out so there is good access to power from anywhere in the shed and a roller door on the front, so i can open it right up.

Plan to build my first ever bench soon, but with Baby #1 due any day i can see that this will be a loooong proces, however enjoyable!

Thanks to all those that put their experiences on the forum for the benefit of all!

Tom

Simomatra
5th March 2006, 08:53 AM
Welcome to the forum TommyC

How about some pic's to share the journey

Cheers Sam

TommyC
5th March 2006, 10:16 AM
Will try to later, when other half can show me how to work this beastie.:confused:

Bluegum
5th March 2006, 11:21 AM
Tommy,

Welcome mate to the forum. Be good to see some pics of your shed when you get them on here. Was only talking to the wife about replacing the one here at hom this morning. Maybe a few of you pics will help me make a dream a reality.

TommyC
5th March 2006, 12:46 PM
Aha, here are the pics of the shed part way thru. I will put some more up to date ones up later!

Tom

Auld Bassoon
5th March 2006, 05:49 PM
Welcome Tom :)

Heaps of articles/posts on bench construction - indeed all things woodie!

Cheers!

Simomatra
5th March 2006, 05:59 PM
Aha, here are the pics of the shed part way thru. I will put some more up to date ones up later!

Tom

Just looks great Tom keep sharing the progreess

Then you have to start filling it

Cheers sam

TommyC
5th March 2006, 06:18 PM
Yes Steve, I have a few ideas, and will prob start with a simple flat top made from a door, with some heavy framing below. Was under my house recently, moving data cable from what will be baby's room into another room, and found some old redgum stumps. By the time I trim off the rotted ends, there will hopefully be enough length for some legs. Old OBHW from demolished shed may come in handy for stretchers etc. then a vice or two and shold serve OK for a few years.

Michael Q
20th September 2006, 12:13 PM
Gday all, my first post.....

Reading this forum over the last few months, i can see that this is a group of people who are pretty passionate about their woodwork.

I have been building a shed (retreat, palace, cave or whatever name suits on the day) in my back garden over the last few months. It will be a fantastic place to do all sorts of STUFF!! I have picked up quite a few useful tips from the forum that i have incorporated into my shed, so i thought i should tell you all about how i am going about building mine.

I am a project manager for a construction company, so am as long on handy contacts as i am short on practical ability in the building department. I have used subbies to put most of my shed together, and have obtained a building permit from a private building surveyor prior to commencing works (almost.....impatience got the better of me at the start!)

It is a 7m x 3.5m concrete slab with a pine framed weatherboard clad structure, internal height is 2.5m to u/s of trusses. The roof is colourbond with insulation, and i have packed the walls with sound insulation material (Tontine material used for packing office partition walls) before lining the inside with 10mm hardwood faced poplar core ply. plenty of Fluoro lights, four windows and a dunny (to avoid unscheduled concentration disrupting trips inside...) I have a 1m wide verandah over the windows which provides good shade from direct sun in the afternoons. Will build a deck out there one day. At the back, and opening separately is a double door cupboard where all the gardening (read "non woodwork related") items are quarantined.

Inside is lots of power points (9) laid out so there is good access to power from anywhere in the shed and a roller door on the front, so i can open it right up.

Plan to build my first ever bench soon, but with Baby #1 due any day i can see that this will be a loooong proces, however enjoyable!

Thanks to all those that put their experiences on the forum for the benefit of all!

Tom
I am thinking of doing something similar in Brisbane would you mind giving a rough guide as to the costs involved?
Regards Michael

journeyman Mick
20th September 2006, 06:08 PM
Michael,
as Tom is "in the trade" I'd say he's probably called in a lot of favours and scavenged up a lot of materials to build his shed, so his costs aren't going to be a realistic guide for you. I built my 75m2 shed for about $110 per m2 but that was threee years ago and some of the materails had been hoarded from jobs stretching back ten years. Sadly, when I extend I think it may cost me twice that or more.:eek: ;) Just a guesstimate, you'd be looking at maybe $500m2:confused:

Mick