PDA

View Full Version : Gifkins Jig

Bluegum
5th March 2006, 11:06 AM
I am looking at trying my hand at some box making, I think there is nothing finer than dovetailed boxes. I have no experience with dovetails and after seeing the Gifkin's when doing a search. I ask if many members have one and how good are they. I was after a bit of feedback before deciding which jig was right for me. the jig looks fairly simle to use and I hope that Roger will be at the brisbane WWW show. Thanks for any advice.

Just George
5th March 2006, 12:22 PM
Roger always comes to the WoodShow, his jig is very good but you need to establish the thickness timber you want to work with first before you buy otherwise you could end up with the incorrect template. I have a Gifkins Jig(and 3 templates), you are welcome to come and see it, I live near the city which is a bit of a drive for you but the offer is there. Send me a PM if you are interested. There are also a few other option other than the Gifkins as well, these I haven't used but they are worth a look at though.

Grunt
5th March 2006, 12:34 PM
I think it is just great. The Gifkin jig is about the easiest jig on the market to use. I've got a couple of templates.

Ashore
5th March 2006, 12:50 PM
I am looking at trying my hand at some box making, I think there is nothing finer than dovetailed boxes. I have no experience with dovetails and after seeing the Gifkin's when doing a search. I ask if many members have one and how good are they. I was after a bit of feedback before deciding which jig was right for me. the jig looks fairly simle to use and I hope that Roger will be at the brisbane WWW show. Thanks for any advice.
Definitely the gifkin for mine, but have a look at his box making router bits as well these are also very handy

Rgds

Zoot
5th March 2006, 02:12 PM
I ask if many members have one and how good are they. I was after a bit of feedback before deciding which jig was right for me. the jig looks fairly simle to use and I hope that Roger will be at the brisbane WWW show. Thanks for any advice.

I am also a Gifkin's user ... I only have 1 template at the moment, but will definitely get the 2 other sizes in time.

As others have said, it is very easy to use and the results are great. I did a Summer School with Roger in January at the Sturt Wood School at Mittagong ... it took me 4 years to get into the course, but well worthwhile. Rogers jig is the only one (that I know of) where you use the router in a table and the jig moves around on the router table.

If you are interested, I posted some pics of my first boxes under the post name of "Zoot Boxes" ... if I could work out how to include a reference to that post I would, so you will just have to search for Zoot Boxes!!!

Cheers,

Zoot Esq.

Bluegum
5th March 2006, 09:23 PM
Thank you to all that have answered my original post. Its a starting point that I will be looking into as I would like to further my wood working ability by learning something new. :) :)

Shedhand
6th March 2006, 12:26 AM
G'day mate
I have the Gifkins Deluxe kit.With the A10 and B10 templates and the box making Gifkins router bits.:)

I think I've said before when describing the Gifkins Jig:
Simply brilliant, brilliantly simple.:)
Cheers

Zed
6th March 2006, 08:11 AM
gifkins is good. aussie made, proven.

cheers