PDA

View Full Version : Roof Query On Metal Aircraft Hanger

Metal Head
7th March 2006, 01:19 PM
Hi,

Well my neighbours have named it that given it's size:D. Well as you can hopefully see from the photo provided is that the previous owner of the property put this bat like material in the V shaped top of the roof.

My query is what would it be there for, except as a half baked attempt to put some basic insulation in:confused:. The garage has no other insulation in it and I am worried that it could be a fire hazard given that it is wrapped around the floro's. There are a couple more floro sets that are not in the photo.

All advice or opinions are much appreciated.

Cheers
David

rodm
7th March 2006, 04:01 PM
Good question and who knows why people do strange things sometimes. :rolleyes:

Going by the colour of the timber it does look like there has been some water entry through the ridge. Pehaps the previous owner stuck this up there in an attempt to seal the ridge - hopeless solution as you would know.
If there is a water problem make sure the sheets are turned up on the ends and that the ridge capping is wide enough to overlap the sheets.
I think it would be safe to remove it but best to turn off the power before doing so. Wait for a couple of replies before doing anything as there may just be a logical reason for it to be there.

DavidG
7th March 2006, 04:08 PM
Wind and bird stopper??????

silentC
7th March 2006, 04:10 PM
It's been shoved in there to block the gap between the sheet and the ridge cap, my guess for one of the following reasons:

1. Draft exclusion
2. Pest exclusion
3. Heat retention

Or maybe all three. Or another one I haven't thought of. Doubt it's a fire hazard but you are supposed to keep insulation away from heat sources. Pull it out if you're worried about it. Then you might find out why it was put there ;)

outback
7th March 2006, 04:21 PM
4. Interesting conversation piece.

Termite
7th March 2006, 04:54 PM
Cant see an outside view so this is a guess.
Its not uncommon for the ridge cap to be elevated a bit from the roof sheets to provide ventilation. However the rain has a tendency to bounce off the roof sheets and come down inside the shed. This may be why the crud is stuffed up there. Try a wider ridge cap if this is the case.

Metal Head
7th March 2006, 05:57 PM
Thanks lads for the quick replies. It could have been put there for reasons already mentions but I was interested to hear more experience views of the possible reason. I have now removed the offending stuff and I may yet regret it but I was worried that it may catch fire - as small as the possibilty was. As regarding retaining the heat that is very true - it had been said by friends that most sauna's were cooler than the hanger!!.

I have attached a picture of the roof and has been said/suggested I may have to put a larger rig cap but I will wait and see if the rain proves to be a problem. I apologise that the picture isn't from a higher view but my helecoptor is presently grounded with mechanical problems!!.

Cheers
David