PDA

View Full Version : Splitting / sealing / seasoning logs

Caveman
8th March 2006, 06:20 PM
Hi,
Have done a search on the treatment of green logs for seasoning and come across many methods – including splitting the logs lengthwise then leaving to cure. Log ends need to be coated/sealed with wax or some such product.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Most of the process has been covered before but I can’t readily get hold of any wax – would bituminous paint do the same job and effectively seal the log end???Can’t see why not?
Also read somewhere that some remove the bark as well – does this help? Or will it dry too quickly?<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I have too much at the moment to be able to rough turn before it cracks (daytime humidity <20%, temp 30’c / night time humidity >80%, temp <12’c – not very friendly for wood/timber:( ) so really need to be able to season some of the logs then turn it dry sometime down the road. What's in the picture is only about a quarter of what needs to be dealt with and is already cracking badly - it's an Acacia so it splits easily).
<o:p></o:p>
Advice / comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th March 2006, 07:36 PM
In a pinch, I've found almost any paint'll do. A dedicated sealant works best of course but almost anything is better than nothing; personally I use a 50% diluted PVA wash (ie. my wood glue!) when I run out of sealer.

I don't bother stripping bark unless it's patchy/flaky/in danger of falling off anyway... but I definitely recommend splitting the wood lengthwise! Leaving 'em intact almost guarantees radial shakes and splits. I seal all end-grain (branch stumps included) and rarely seal the long-grain, except when I'm handling fruitwoods. They're really prone to splits, so I'll split 'em, peel the bark and coat the whole thing in proper sealant. Often I'll reseal the ends (at least) a few days later... and at intervals when I'm checking the logs and notice small splits.

Won't lay claim to 100% success... but I doubt anyone here would. ;)

Caveman
8th March 2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks Skew,
Nice to have confirmation of what I was thinking of doing.
Now where's that chainsaw hiding!

hughie
9th March 2006, 12:08 AM
Caveman,

thats a healthy pile of logs.....need an assitant to help with the turning:D :D
Sealing. I go with skew, except i use a mixture of polystryene the insulation/packing stuff, melted down into a thick paste with turps.
Its so thick I have to put it on with a putty knife, sometimes redo it a couple of days later. It holds up well and apart form the turps generally is free.
hughie

Caveman
9th March 2006, 03:12 AM
Caveman,

thats a healthy pile of logs.....need an assitant to help with the turning:

:) feel free to pop round and give a hand:D :D :D

A previous thread that came up on my search for sealing logs also came up with something similar, polystyrene and thinners I think - sounds like a dangerous concoction:eek: . I guess this is more stable?

Have plenty bituminous paint from another job so will use that up for now.

Cheers,
Andy

hughie
9th March 2006, 08:50 AM
Andy,
Yeah, its way more safer. I tend mix up a brew and keep it in a couple of PET jars, it seems to keep just fine. When you get the mix some where near right the turps keeps the brew away from the side of the container. So you have grey...sorta slime ball inside.
The turps massively reduces the polystyrene, you need heaps of it, maybe 50x the 750ml container shown, but its plentiful here.
hughie