PDA

View Full Version : Box With 90 Degree Brass Hinge

DPB
11th March 2006, 01:25 PM
In another post in the Box Making Forum, I indicated that I had purchased 90 degree brass hinges from Veneer Inlay Australia. http://tinyurl.com/pd56n

The advantage of this kind of hinge is that it supposedly doesn't require a lid stay. Although, since using these on this box, I am a little concerned that when one opens the lid it places too much stress on the hinges and may cause them to break out from the timber. Because of this concern, I epoxied the hinges as well as screwing them into the timber side walls of the box which are only 15mm thick.

I learned after cutting the hinge mortises, that the hinge has to sit with the barrel portion hanging over the edge of the box, or it won't open. If you look closely, you will see where I had to patch up the mortises that were cut before I realsied my mistake. (Good lesson, but had I experimented with some scrap pieces, I would have avoided screwing up the box.)

This picture shows the hinge in its open position.
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/8361/dbbox57ym.jpg

I used these hinges in this Myrtle box made with a Walnut burl veneer inset in the lid and Walnut accent pieces. This box is my own design, with sides slopping 5 Degrees toward the top, and the lid sides sloped 5 degrees the other way. The lid frame has a raised panel effect by cutting a bevel in the frame. It makes the lid appear thin where the lid meets the box sides, but allows sufficent thickness to accept the veneered panel and Beech retainer strip. The compound angles were a challenge, but fun to work out.

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/3820/dbbox41vk.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/5940/dbbox17dz.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8121/dbbox25ej.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9831/dbbox32ks.jpg

zenwood
11th March 2006, 06:04 PM
Don, that is a wonderful, wonderful box. You're an inspiration. I love the interplay of angles - almost art deco style.

Could you expand on the timbers and finishing process, please?

Auld Bassoon
11th March 2006, 07:07 PM
Don,

Your have surpassed yourself! That box is almost magical!

The craftsmanship is superlative, as always, but that Walnut burl really sets it off; it's fantastic! Where can one obtain some of that? It brings to mind some of the splendid creations from the (Italian, especially) Renaissance.

Now, can I pull your chain (awful pun, I know) a bit? Thought about Ian's fund raiser, hint hint :) :)

DPB
11th March 2006, 07:08 PM
The primary timber is Tasmanian Myrtle. It has a slight pinkish hue. The accent timber is American Walnut left over from a table building project. I did my best to match the grain direction of the two bands that run around the box to the flow of the grain in the Myrtle. This is a simple saw curf cut into which I fit the Walnut. The mitre keys were cut on a jig I made for the purpose. They are angled at 15 degrees, but since the side are already slopped by 5 degrees, I think the net effect is a 10 degree angle on the keys, or is that 20.:confused: :D

The Walnut Burl veneer in the centre panel is laminated to both side of 3mm MDF. The lid frame is mitred and also reinforced with Walnut keys. The underside of the panel is surrounded with Euro Beech. Not shown is some nice 1/4" plywood in the bottom of the box. It will not be seen unless the box is turned over. I will put a felt liner in the bottom of the box.

I finished with Organoil Hard Burnishing Oil sanded to 1200 grit with a random orbital sander. This fills any imperfections in the wood and joints. Then it is coated with Pure Tung Oil - 2 coats wiped off after 15 minutes and left to dry 24 hours between each coat. Finally, two light coats of MinWax Wipe-On Poly, again with 24 hours between each coat and a light buff with 0000 steel wool, then a buff with a Swansdown Mop and Ubeaut Traditional Polish. It's a rather elaborate process, but the finish is worth it.

Only one problem the sloped sided make it very difficult to place a tray in the box, so it's a rather large undivided cavity. Don't know what it could be used for - I don't think it's suitable as a jewelery box.

Auld Bassoon
11th March 2006, 07:13 PM
Don't know what it could be used for - I don't think it's suitable as a jewelery box.

Don,

That box is so lovely that it is a worthy object in its own right. It doesn't need a 'use' in my view, but if it were to be used to hold something, then I'd suggest just a single small thing of great quality.

Cheers!

Peter36
11th March 2006, 07:42 PM
Now that is really exquisite- excellent workmanship . Luv all the contrasting woods . Particularly the walnut burl . Are you able to tell where you got that .
Peter:)

AlexS
11th March 2006, 08:42 PM
Another great result Don, excellent choice of timbers too. More please.

DPB
11th March 2006, 11:01 PM
Now that is really exquisite- excellent workmanship . Luv all the contrasting woods . Particularly the walnut burl . Are you able to tell where you got that .
Peter:)

Peter Scott-Young
East Rigwood, VIC, 3135
03 9870 8733

zenwood
11th March 2006, 11:08 PM
Don,

That box is so lovely that it is a worthy object in its own right. It doesn't need a 'use' in my view, but if it were to be used to hold something, then I'd suggest just a single small thing of great quality.

Cheers!
Well put, Bassoon. That's what I love about small wooden boxes. They seem like they are obviously useful, but they kind of wink at you, because the craft that goes into them is often way too much for pure utility. Lydgate says in "The Art of Making Small Wood Boxes":

The handcrafted wood box is among the most intriguing of objects, and one that provides as much pleasure for the person who makes it as for the person who owns it. The woodworker creating the box experiences the challenge of design, and exercises the skill of fabrication, detailing, and finishing. The person who owns the box enjoys its visual and tactile qualities, and feels repeated delight every time the box is opened to reveal its secrets.

BobL
12th March 2006, 01:12 AM
The box is surreal! I had to look closely I thought it was so even and regular it had been drawn using a computer graphics program. Definitely greeeenie material.