PDA

View Full Version : Patching Pool paver joints

Geoff Odgers
12th March 2006, 03:23 PM
I have been asked to fix the cracked mortar joints around a pool, so far I have cleaned out the joints, went down to the local Big O and bought a bag of DRY PACk paving set, with the intention of just pouring it into the gaps and hosing it down to set. This is when I read the instructions and found that it is not suitable around pools and is only for gaps around 4mm, Some of mine are more like 20 mm. If I use a basic mortar mix wont this just crack again in a couple of years!

Any Ideas or products I can use please let me know.

Many Thanks

GO
:confused:

ozwinner
12th March 2006, 03:31 PM
Many years ago I used ordinary mortar with pva glue in it to resurface a stone window sill that had been eaten away by rain etc. ( it was painted so apperance was unimportant)

It set as hard as a rock, much harder than just mortar.

Seeing as its around a pool you might consider exterior pva.

Al :)

Geoff Odgers
12th March 2006, 03:55 PM
OK but how much do you put in the mix?

ozwinner
12th March 2006, 03:58 PM
A blobs worth.

I dont really recall, but being in the science of bricklaying it would have been a blob.

Al :rolleyes:

Geoff Odgers
12th March 2006, 04:10 PM
Sounds just like my wife, if I ask how much to put in on the odd occasion that I cook.

mic-d
12th March 2006, 06:55 PM
I just happened to work with a pool builder for a little while several years ago and we used a strong mix of 2:1 sand cement. And the cement should be the one low in flyash eg GP cement (- can't remember the technical name).
You want to ensure the pavers have been wet down well to be waterlogged (but not too much standing water) otherwise they will dry out the grout too quickly and also stain the pavers. Try to do it early in the morning. Don't forget an expansion gap of eg Sikaflex every 3m max and between the pavers and pool wall. I find a sloppy mix is easier to apply, but if you're doing coping you'll need a stiffer mix. Do managable amounts that you can sponge off before it dries.
It's no great problem if the pavers stain a bit, just wait a couple of weeks minimum and do an acid wash at about 6:1 water: pool acid (add the acid to the water and use safety glasses).
I've heard you can get grout bags (like piping bags in the kitchen) and you can pipe the grout directly between the pavers. Helps cleanup. If you're talked into using a latex additive as an addmix to the grout be prepared for an absolutely miserable time cleaning up the pavers.

Cheers
Michael