PDA

View Full Version : external enclosures for dust collectors

BobL
15th March 2006, 12:27 AM
My shed is quite small and I'm planning to locate my DC {and associated fine dust) outside the shed. I would be interested to hear about and/or see examples of enclosures "any of use woodies" have installed for external DCs.

Thanks

DanP
15th March 2006, 01:35 AM
any of use woodies

Mate, Dontcha no nuffin. Its 'youse'. I woulda fought youse blokes from Perf woulda known that...;)

Dan

PS. I'm just subscribing to this thread...:D

la Huerta
15th March 2006, 12:24 PM
hey mate...

well you know how on some bag DC's how here's a 5in hose between the bag and the blower, well i put this 5in hose through the wall, i unbolted the blower and sat it in the workshop, the hose runs through the wall and the bag section is outside...a couple of 4in hoses hang around for the machines and that's it...quick and simple solution for a small workshop...

BobL
15th March 2006, 01:32 PM
hey mate...

well you know how on some bag DC's how here's a 5in hose between the bag and the blower, well i put this 5in hose through the wall, i unbolted the blower and sat it in the workshop, the hose runs through the wall and the bag section is outside...a couple of 4in hoses hang around for the machines and that's it...quick and simple solution for a small workshop...

Nice!, I hadn't thought of separating the bags from the blowers, but what happens when it rains, don't your bags go all soggy?

BobL
15th March 2006, 01:38 PM
Mate, Dontcha no nuffin. Its 'youse'. I woulda fought youse blokes from Perf woulda known that...;)

Dan

PS. I'm just subscribing to this thread...:D

Sorry for the spelling mistake, I thought about using ewes, uze, youze, yuze or yuse but not youse!

Wood Butcher
15th March 2006, 01:48 PM
Nice!, I hadn't thought of separating the bags from the blowers, but what happens when it rains, don't your bags go all soggy?
Put up a small lean-to on the side of the shed for the DC to go under. If you make it big enough you could use it for some timber storage too.

BobL
15th March 2006, 11:14 PM
Put up a small lean-to on the side of the shed for the DC to go under. If you make it big enough you could use it for some timber storage too.

That's the sort of thing I had in mind. The sort of space I have outside the shed means using something a narrow (50 cm) wide eve and joining together a couple of sheets of plastic roofing to wrap-around the sides/front for weather protection. Sound dumb?

BobL
29th March 2006, 11:01 AM

And here it is - sorry the photo does not show it all that clearly. It's difficult to get a decent angle down the side of the fence/shed. It's made from painted treated crapiata battens and corrugated poly for its light weight. It looks like it's sitting on bricks but the whole thing is actually suspended/screwed onto the side of the shed and can be very easily removed. Instead of making it big enough to hold timber I decided to use the extra space to store some of the dirty garden crap that is currently cluttering the shed ie fertilizer, weednfeed, poisons etc.

Just after I finished it I realized that, although there are plenty of gaps and vents for the air and very fine dust to escape, with all the fine dust coming from the DC filters and the fact that it is faced in Poly the whole thing will eventually be coated inside with the fine dust. I'm not worried about how it looks as it's located in a position where it's very hard to see. I guess an occasional hosing out the inside will remove the internal dust coating and that means less fine dust annoying the neigbors.

Shedhand
29th March 2006, 12:15 PM
Sorry for the spelling mistake, I thought about using ewes, uze, youze, yuze or yuse but not youse!or in NZ..girls...:D

Shedhand
29th March 2006, 12:18 PM
And here it is - sorry the photo does not show it all that clearly. It's difficult to get a decent angle down the side of the fence/shed. It's made from painted treated crapiata battens and corrugated poly for its light weight. It looks like it's sitting on bricks but the whole thing is actually suspended/screwed onto the side of the shed and can be very easily removed. Instead of making it big enough to hold timber I decided to use the extra space to store some of the dirty garden crap that is currently cluttering the shed ie fertilizer, weednfeed, poisons etc.

Just after I finished it I realized that, although there are plenty of gaps and vents for the air and very fine dust to escape, with all the fine dust coming from the DC filters and the fact that it is faced in Poly the whole thing will eventually be coated inside with the fine dust. I'm not worried about how it looks as it's located in a position where it's very hard to see. I guess an occasional hosing out the inside will remove the internal dust coating and that means less fine dust annoying the neigbors.Looks good. Does it generate much noise? (To bug the neighbours).

BobL
29th March 2006, 05:20 PM
Looks good. Does it generate much noise? (To bug the neighbours).

I think noise wise it's reasonable especially when compared to my two "potentially difficult" neighbors which fortunately both make some noise on a regular basis. One uses a garden vac every weekend for about an hour that is a heck of a lot noisier than my DC. The other neighbor uses a spa/pool pump for many hours into some summer evenings that is not that much quieter than the DC. I haven't had the DC long enough to know how I will use it - my guess is a total time of half a day each week. My bigger concern is the TS which fairly screams when in use although it only gets used in short bursts/

I have a noise meter at work and I might make a few measurements with so that I am prepared for the possible complaints.