PDA

View Full Version : 1928 Sydney Harbor Ferry

myrnaboys
15th March 2006, 09:50 AM
Bit of a general post , but a few mates and I ( skiff sailors mainly) recently purchased and beaut old ferry built by that Adelaide Steam Ship Company out of Balmain in about 1928. She is 35 feet long with a a big overhanging stern and that last owner has added a forward wheelhouse whereas originally she was all cabin with a cabin mounted engine, it now sits beneath the wheelhouse

She was lying in Pittwater and had about 3 years worth of growth on her bum and hadnt run for the same amount of time, we slipped her and got her going and brought her up to Sydney in big 2 mtere swells a couple of weeks ago and we are now ready to fix what needs fixing

As I said we are skiffsailors and working on wooden boats is not our forte so we are looking for any advice and pointers towards books, websites or anything else that may help us. Overall she is pretty solid.The transom has taken a bang and we need to pull up the rear deck and repalce it and fix the planks that have popped and put in a new rubbing rail. Up forward there is another plank that need resetting and we have to finish the floor in the cabin and then whack some paint on her.

we are not totally clueless but any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a pic.............cheers

bitingmidge
18th March 2006, 07:30 PM
Just because we haven't replied doesn't mean we're not interested!

Please keep us updated with progress!

cheers,

P

jow104
18th March 2006, 07:42 PM
I have just run into your posting and also look forward to seeing progress.

The area I live in the UK have restored many of the old wooden fishing boats to their former glory. Perhaps a search on the web might throw up some helpful contacts. Paignton is next door to the Brixham fishing industry and Plymouth down the road you most probably know started the population explosion of the USA.

ptc
18th March 2006, 09:34 PM
You lucky buggers, bet you get some satisfaction
and a lot of fun.
very nice.
please keep us informed of progress on her.
What's her Name ?
Beautifull

craigb
18th March 2006, 09:47 PM
I'm sure I've been on that boat, or one very like her, that used to do the Lion Island - Pittwater - Basin run in the 70's.

Have you done any research on her history?

stevebaby
19th March 2006, 11:30 AM
Bit of a general post , but a few mates and I ( skiff sailors mainly) recently purchased and beaut old ferry built by that Adelaide Steam Ship Company out of Balmain in about 1928. She is 35 feet long with a a big overhanging stern and that last owner has added a forward wheelhouse whereas originally she was all cabin with a cabin mounted engine, it now sits beneath the wheelhouse

She was lying in Pittwater and had about 3 years worth of growth on her bum and hadnt run for the same amount of time, we slipped her and got her going and brought her up to Sydney in big 2 mtere swells a couple of weeks ago and we are now ready to fix what needs fixing

As I said we are skiffsailors and working on wooden boats is not our forte so we are looking for any advice and pointers towards books, websites or anything else that may help us. Overall she is pretty solid.The transom has taken a bang and we need to pull up the rear deck and repalce it and fix the planks that have popped and put in a new rubbing rail. Up forward there is another plank that need resetting and we have to finish the floor in the cabin and then whack some paint on her.

we are not totally clueless but any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a pic.............cheersShe is a good looking boat.Who is she? where is she moored?:)

myrnaboys
20th March 2006, 12:15 PM
she is called Myrna...........we know a bit about the history...in as much as we beleive she was used as the paymeaster ferry in Sydney Harbor for a while and then had an association with the Treharnes..and it may well have been used as one of the smaller Pittwater ferries........we have enough documentation to assemble a pretty good history............ but we are concentrating on getting her back to 100% first.

The change of cabin was a shock when I saw her initial configuration but it does make it a more workable vessel for out purposes...

We currently have her moored off Castlecrag in inner Middle Harbor......

ptc
22nd March 2006, 10:16 PM
When she's finished move her to Stanley.
you would make a fortune on fishing charters.etc.

myrnaboys
23rd March 2006, 06:00 PM
haha no she will remain on Sydney Harbor where she started........we have more important things in mind.......like long summer afternoons.........and cool autumns mornings................insert the appropritate beverage where necessary

we had a long chat about the floor last night...anyone got any good tips as to what we should do and use????

stevebaby
23rd March 2006, 07:28 PM
Floor timbers or deck? You will probably get a dozen opinions and they will all be right!
I guess it depends on how much time and money you want to spend and whether you want to restore her to her original condition or go for something practical.Assuming something practical...if you want to lay marine carpet (further assuming an interior deck) ply glassed over with epoxy is strong and durable and will tighten the old girl up a fair bit.You could also lay ply and epoxy as the base for a laid timber deck.Depending on what you want her to look like you could also just ply and 'glass it and just paint it too.
If she has a laid timber deck already and you just want to replace what is already there,my 2 bobs worth would be spotted gum...dense,very durable and usually available somewhere in Sydney at a reasonable price (as long as you don't say it's for a boat...the price instantly doubles:D:eek:).I've also seen a meranti deck that had survived 20 years in the open with no maintenance at all but it would be best to hand select it for the dense dark red stuff.Oregon tends to weather along the growth rings and produce an uneven surface .There are other timbers...many of the hardwoods used for house decking are quarter sawn (unlikely to cup much) and very durable and should stand up to the marine environment ok.For the amount needed on an interior deck the price should be pretty reasonable too.
If you haven't already seen/heard of it,there is an excellent brochure available from State Forests,PO Box 100,Beecroft 2119,(02) 872 0111 called "Timber in Boatbuilding",don't remember if it's free or costs a couple of dollars.
That's my modest contribution and I apologise if I've told you stuff you already know.I hope this thread attracts a few more opinions,there are some pretty experienced boat builders on the forum who could make a better contribution than I have.
She's a lovely looking boat and it's great to see someone preserving a boat with a bit of class and style.I hope to see some more pics.
Speaking of which,I think I'll just take another look.
Good Luck,and Godspeed.
Steve:)

Dan
23rd March 2006, 07:32 PM
You migh also get some advice from Duck Flat Wooden Boats (http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/)

bitingmidge
23rd March 2006, 08:07 PM
Not sure about SteveBaby's advice (about the epoxy ply and carpet that is). I know it was only one alternative and I'd have no problem if the old girl had no significance, but I reckon she'll be worth preserving, not "making do".

The last five or six issues of Wooden Boat Magazine have a detailed series on restoring old things.... a bit daunting, but worth a read.

I'd try to keep the original structure and finishes intact as far as possible eh?

Cheers,

P

Auld Bassoon
23rd March 2006, 08:35 PM
Not sure about SteveBaby's advice (about the epoxy ply and carpet that is). I know it was only one alternative and I'd have no problem if the old girl had no significance, but I reckon she'll be worth preserving, not "making do".

The last five or six issues of Wooden Boat Magazine have a detailed series on restoring old things.... a bit daunting, but worth a read.

I'd try to keep the original structure and finishes intact as far as possible eh?

Cheers,

P

Agreed!

A nearly eighty-year old boat should be treated with the care and attention that she deserves. Traditional methods may prove, also, to be a better investment.

stevebaby
23rd March 2006, 09:30 PM

Cheers,

PIt was just an option.We did it on a charter boat of similar vintage just to keep it working.Ply and epoxy really made a noticeable difference to the stiffness of the boat and the carpet was partly to prevent the punters slipping over and suing the owner.
For a privately owned boat,I agree a laid timber deck inside would be better.

myrnaboys
25th March 2006, 01:10 PM
what we were thinking was actually sectioning the floor...........that is.using marine play as a base in say 4/6 sections.....then laying the appropriate decking on the ply with epoxy then screwing the sections down at say 4 or 6 points

it means that we can still access the hull quite easily at any point, that we dont have a million screws to deal with and that we still get the effect we are looking for.......it alos lets us handle the more difficult bit ouside of the boat at any time.....or are we nuts????

Thoughts?

stevebaby
25th March 2006, 01:58 PM
what we were thinking was actually sectioning the floor...........that is.using marine play as a base in say 4/6 sections.....then laying the appropriate decking on the ply with epoxy then screwing the sections down at say 4 or 6 points

it means that we can still access the hull quite easily at any point, that we dont have a million screws to deal with and that we still get the effect we are looking for.......it alos lets us handle the more difficult bit ouside of the boat at any time.....or are we nuts????

Thoughts?I asked one of my boatbuilding teachers at TAFE about it and he had the same idea as yours,so it looks like you've found the best solution...a combination of modern adhesives and modern and traditional materials leading to a traditional appearance and convenience,strength and durability.:) Steve
And now for another squiz at that photo...

myrnaboys
3rd April 2006, 03:14 PM
it has been suggested we use tallowood for the flooring in the interior, any thoughts?

thackers
4th April 2006, 10:22 PM
Sounds like she has a bit of history so probably worth getting a shipwright to look at the transom - there are a few around Sydney. Try Ian Smith & Simon Sabudin at Chowder Bay or Stephen Gale for an opinion.

Looks great and worth keeping true to it's provenance - they were well built.

we are not totally clueless but any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a pic.............cheers

Greg Ward
11th April 2006, 01:38 PM
A lot of old boats used Australian white beech as decking.
Mal from Boutique Timbers has a lot of this in various lengths, widths and thicknesses.
If you are interested in this or any other timbers call him on 0265 858296. He has provided a lot of Aust rosewood for boat interiors as well.
He delivers to Sydney monthly
Regards
Greg

myrnaboys
26th April 2006, 06:57 PM
The boys took a few weeks off and got to work on the floor, I have posted some new pics of the joists going in and the ply down and the ende result.....hasnt been coated yest but almost there, they did a great job..........now we just have to do the rest!

On the other side of the coin we have found out a lot more about her history and should shortly have a set of the original plans....

Cheers

Daddles
26th April 2006, 07:15 PM
Very nice.:D

Richard

ozwinner
26th April 2006, 07:21 PM
The one on the right is saying, " see, now this is a deck, not a floor"

Al :p

ptc
26th April 2006, 09:57 PM
That is a very nice DECK

bitingmidge
26th April 2006, 10:34 PM
IF I may interrupt this debate to stop you landlubbing swabs getting into too much more trouble.

In fact, the horizontal floor bit referred to in these photographs is probably not a deck at all.

I suspect that if the photographs are indicative of the form of craft, the deck will be a structure a little higher, say where the chaps in photo are sitting, and this is in fact a Sole.

The floor timbers are quite visible in the first two photographs however.

On a ship, each level is correctly called a deck, but a boat (such as this) is unlikely to have more than one.

So.

Great job on the new sole boys!

Cheers,

P

Daddles
26th April 2006, 11:01 PM
Ohhhh ... g ... g ... go suck on a wino Midge :D

Richard

scooter
26th April 2006, 11:38 PM
Midge, is the term "joists" right on a boat or is that something else too ? :confused:

Cheers.............Sean

bitingmidge
26th April 2006, 11:42 PM
Midge, is the term "joists" right on a boat or is that something else too ? :confused:
Nah, just to confuse you even more, they're "deck beams"! :rolleyes:

But the owners can call them anything they like! (refer rule 11 in the Ninja code of conduct!)

Cheers,

P
:D

Wild Dingo
1st May 2006, 02:56 AM
Just to toss a few bob into the bucket :D

You did check those frames before you stuck that ply down didnt you? Realizing that the pics are a bit iffy for a good looksee Id say just looking at that 2nd pic there are possibly a few that need sistering what about the keel and rudder post and stuffing box? what about the deadwood, the knees and carlins? what are the planks like how many need taking off and replacing? how is the caulking inbetween the planks? hows the landings on the rabbet? These along with other things are things that need to be looked at closely fixed properly BEFORE you even consider thinking about the deck!!

And I must ask... why the heck didnt you blokes CLEAN the bilges first?... so you can have a good hard long look down there... again before you put the ply in? I know Im not wrong here since the inside hull appears dirty with grime showing not only in the shots without the ply but also in the second last one above the new ply... why would you do that?

Why would anyone in their half right mind that got hold of such a fine boat of such vintage and do a half assed job of restoring her? Sorry to burst you bubble but do it bloody right eh! :mad:

Suggestion if I may? first pull that bloody ply back up and toss it... then get down and friggin dirty in the bilge and clean it up get the paint off the shyte off and see the wood for what it needs... both inside and outside YOU NEED TO SEE IT CLOSELY!!!

Do that and it may scare the shyte out of you and you will need to get into a real deep serious learning curve but at least you wont scare the crap out of yourself when the frames go the planks pop and she starts taking on water at a rate of knots the bilge pump wont handle... Do it right... Ive seen blokes get hold of some fine old boats and do half assed jobs of fixing them up only to find shes stuffed in one or more areas and because they didnt bloody well think it through and go over every friggin inch of her bit by bit and repairing or replacing every thing that needed repairing or replacing that not too long after "completing" the "restoration" they needed serious work to remove the epoxy and other crap work they had done to fix her then what happened? They got off at her and she sits rotting in some back bloody yard!! Do it right and she will be a beautiful asset and an utter joy for many many years to come do it half assed and she will be a burden

Looking at what youve given so far Id say just quietly that you have more work to do to her than any of you have even considered or think you can pass on some of it by covering it up with ply and she will be right... sorry mate boats that go on water dont work that way... fix her right and she will keep you and yours safe for many years dont and well we wont go there will we? but its what will happen if you dont stop and tackle her needs the right way

Mate shes a beautiful boat with a great history so get her back to what she was by doin the job properly please

Wild Dingo
1st May 2006, 03:04 AM
Sorry if that sounded harsh and angry but mate shes a real beauty with an age of solidity behind her... and Im sick of seeing people buy such as she and then stuff around "fixing" her but failing to do the MUCH needed work... the paint should have been taken off the grime and old oil grease and gunk in the bilge should have been stripped out... this is the ONLY way to see closely at the wood of the frames for a start to know if theyre cracked or split but its still there after you laid the ply!! I guess I just saw such a fine old girl and saw the paint and grime there in the bilge and thought "shyte no! not another botched up halfassed job!" Im getting tired of seeing it happen to the old girls 1928 and you dont look at the frames? man! that timber down there has seen a heck of a lot of water pass under her a heck of a lot of stress pressure and who knows what sort of maintenance program shes had over that time! Please do it right

HJ0
1st May 2006, 07:25 PM
She sister to the african queen, she'll be right lol

HJ0

Daddles
1st May 2006, 11:02 PM
She sister to the african queen, she'll be right lol

HJ0

I love that movie and I'm not sure I'd be comforted :D

Seriously, who else watches African Queen for the boat first, the actors second and the story third :confused:

Richard

HJ0
2nd May 2006, 12:57 AM
Acting story then boat, But only until bogart gets thrown on to the wagon by hepburn. Then the acting steals the show lol.

Acting and story takes place mainly in a boat, so the boat wins hands down.;)

HJ0

Daddles
2nd May 2006, 01:10 AM
Let's be honest, with Bogy plus Hepburn AND a wooden boat, cripes, the film's a classic before you even consider the story, and I'm a story first man from waaaayyyyyyy back :D

Richard
are three glasses of red too many? **damn, there's no pithed smilie**

myrnaboys
9th May 2006, 12:17 PM
hmmmmmmmmm nothing like someone who doesnt take the time to read what we are doing..........if you had bothered to read how we laid the floor you would have understood that it is , as yet, not fastened down and is removable in about 10 minutes........

as to your comments re the bilge........it has already been cleaned and checked.....we are lucky enough to have some good freinds who are capable boat builders and restorers and who offer encouragement rather than misguided spiteful comments......................

if you plan to post something you should get your ducks in a row............actually no come to think of it judging by your comments we arent interested in anything you have to say.........

as to everyone that has been encouraging and helpful.many thanks

myrnaboys
9th May 2006, 12:19 PM
oh sorry I forgot to insert the word "wanker"..........

Sorry if that sounded harsh and angry but mate shes a real beauty with an age of solidity behind her... and Im sick of seeing people buy such as she and then stuff around "fixing" her but failing to do the MUCH needed work... the paint should have been taken off the grime and old oil grease and gunk in the bilge should have been stripped out... this is the ONLY way to see closely at the wood of the frames for a start to know if theyre cracked or split but its still there after you laid the ply!! I guess I just saw such a fine old girl and saw the paint and grime there in the bilge and thought "shyte no! not another botched up halfassed job!" Im getting tired of seeing it happen to the old girls 1928 and you dont look at the frames? man! that timber down there has seen a heck of a lot of water pass under her a heck of a lot of stress pressure and who knows what sort of maintenance program shes had over that time! Please do it right

HJ0
9th May 2006, 12:29 PM
Wild dingo gonna be mad lol

More pics please boys.

HJ0

Daddles
9th May 2006, 05:49 PM
oh sorry I forgot to insert the word "wanker"..........

Yer reading Shane wrong mate. Sure, he read you wrong and had a rant, but I don't think he was chewing you. In any case, you won't find anyone more enthusiastic or supportive than the Mad Dingo (his work keeps him away from the forum which is why you haven't seen much of him lately). This is just a case of wires getting crossed, badly crossed

Richard

Wild Dingo
9th May 2006, 08:53 PM
Well now so cause I dare assume from your comments from your first post
but a few mates and I ( skiff sailors mainly) that you have little experience with the sort of boat Myrna is and based upon your further statements in that first post ala this wee statement that:
As I said we are skiffsailors and working on wooden boats is not our forte so we are looking for any advice and pointers towards books, websites or anything else that may help us. and further down the thread
anyone got any good tips as to what we should do and use???? and then of course I took some notice of this
...or are we nuts???? Thoughts? that you were looking for advice help and assistance since you didnt bloody well know squat about what you were doing... that mate is what you have said all along that you know sweet FA about what your doing and you want help... of course I should have realised that that wasnt what you wanted at all rather that you wanted everyone to go "ooh wonderfull boat wonderful job wonderful wonderful wonderfrigginfull" yeah right :rolleyes:

Then of course I did fail so see you other comment visavis
we are not totally clueless but any pointers would be greatly appreciated and should have realised at that point that you didnt have a friggin clue werent looking for anything other than accolades and pats on the back rather than the truth and any help anyone here can offer and because I thought I might be able to offer some assistance or help since you bloody well asked for it... Im now called a
wanker

I know I didnt personally call you or your mates abilities into question nor your intents with her I simply made some helpfull suggestions along with some comments about seeing old girls like her being bought by dipsticks and then seeing them fall to disrepair because the bloody idiots didnt look into the friggin thing properly or thought they knew it all which phisses me off

So next time you want advice and assistance ask for it... when its given accept it with some good grace... but next time you want some pattin on the back for being such a jolly good fella then dont in everyones pocket to get it!!

You ASKED for advice all I did was offer some... you dont like it? dont bloody ask for it... and I did read your posts dipstick thats why I responded!! :mad: freekin moron :mad:

Oh by the way? I do actually hope you get her seaworthy again and enjoy years of great days on her with family and friends... it would be a shame if you stuffed her up because you dont listen to advice when YOU FREEKIN ASK FOR IT!!! :mad: good luck but dont ask for advice if you dont bloody want it!!

Groggy
9th May 2006, 09:00 PM
(stumbles over the wreckage of a thread)

This thread is just warming up methinks :rolleyes:

scooter
9th May 2006, 09:48 PM
Myrna, yer read the Dingo wrong, he's a passionate bloke & was trying to help.

Shane, don't let it bugger your day, mate, she'll be apples...

Cheers..............Sean

Wild Dingo
9th May 2006, 10:44 PM
Nah mate this aint goin to buggar my day it was bloody near perfect!! :cool:
First as Id gone to Perth yesty and stayed at my daughters place I woke to my 4 month old grandson sittin on my chest gigglin at me then coped a face full of drool from said grandson and mucked about with the little fella for awhile then got up and we toddled of down to Hillaries Harbor for a much needed gander at some speccy boats a feed at the restuarant daughters treat (dont yer love kids? then into the car and down home again for a play in the shed :cool:

AND!!!!

They got my miner "brothers" outta the hole over there in Tassie!!! Gotta love it!! :cool:

So this arrogant simple minded wakkers idiot posts isnt gonna worry me... well not a lot anyways ;) Lifes good :cool:

Wild Dingo
9th May 2006, 11:20 PM
Okay enough of the great day gunk lets get down and dirty with this thread shall we eh? ;)

So you tell me I havent read the thread and havent got my facts right... and that you have cleaned of all the paint muck gunk googe and gathered crap in the bilge right? So lets look at your pics again shall we just to clear this wee factor up... remember here mate you posted these no one else just YOU yep you posted them while YOU were asking for advice and information remember that shall we

Number 1 pic http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=22735&d=1146038115

so theres the bare bilge... doesnt anyone else see the accumulated crap in there but me?... and that white stuff now that isnt white wood is it? musta missed that timber in all my years eh?... no Id swear that thats white paint with black gunk everywhere but hey thats just me :rolleyes:

Number 2 pic
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=22736&d=1146038115

Lookin good eh? what about that crap down the transom end ooh right thats nice new wood eh or mmm maybe its paint of some discription Ive never seen before... now thats good eh!

Number 3 pic
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=22737&d=1146038115

Looking good!!! :cool: eerr umm scuse me? what about that second frame on the left bit speckled blackish isnt it? ooh and what of the edges where the carlins meet the "deck" real clean there isnt it?

Finally number 4
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=22738&d=1146038115

Two blokes havin a well earned drink eh!! Goodonem!! oooh look just along from the bloke on the rights foot whats that next to the second carlin where it meets the "deck"? man you blokes love your black speckled paint on white dontcha :rolleyes:

So did you bother checking the frames while you had the damned ply off or just think yeah thats it buggar it damn hard work this wipin crap of the bilge better whack the ply down and have a beer eh... how could you have done any SERIOUS checking of the frames timbers keel or anybloodything else if youve left the crap crud and paint on them?... geez your good :rolleyes:

As I said before take the damned ply up toss it away get down and get the bilge CLEANED... Back to BARE timber you know that wood stuff uncovered with bloody paint and crap!!... THEN... get down on your friggin knees and check every friggin inch of her frames knees keel stem and all the bloody wood of the planks... check her carefully!!

See this picture YOU put up shows

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=22734&d=1146038115

Several frames that I would think are REAL suspect and NEED close checking... perhaps as I said INITIALLY
Realizing that the pics are a bit iffy that I may be wrong given that the pics arent real good for a close check from where we sit but LOOK AT THE FRAMES!!! from here it looks that at least 3 on the starboard side and 2 on the port NEED to be replaced or at least sistering... you do know what sistering means in this subject dont you? no i dont think you do but anyway someone else can tell you cause mate your a friggin wakker of the worst sort and I really cant be stuffed giving you any advice that YOU ASK FOR so.... enjoy your life and I hope you blokes do the boat justice (which I doubt given your comments on this thread) otherwise I reckon she will end up ais a great vegie patch so enjoy :rolleyes:

stevebaby
10th May 2006, 02:29 AM
Every boat of this type is a "work in progress".I'm sure the owners would be the first to admit that.
The boat is obviously in better shape than it was when they acquired it.For starters,it's now a goer,so that's a major hurdle overcome.The sole is removable and a few sistered frames isn't a big job so I can't see what the objection is there.
A few black marks on the paint?Give us a break...what's the point of repainting before the other work is done?The bilges? For a workboat,the bilges look pretty good.There are plenty worse than that and they manage to pass survey every year. (Yes,Waterways check the bilges...and the frames).
Jeez,Myrnaboys askes for advice (and not just from this forum)...and he gets flamed for it because the boat isn't up to your standards!
The job looks like it's going well and I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.:)

myrnaboys
10th May 2006, 10:33 AM
as i said...........wanker...........thanks for the assistance from the guys that have helped............but this kind of crap we dont need.......bitter and twisted people arent what we are about......we will just get on with the job..........no more posts from us

Okay enough of the great day gunk lets get down and dirty with this thread shall we eh? ;)

So you tell me I havent read the thread and havent got my facts right... and that you have cleaned of all the paint muck gunk googe and gathered crap in the bilge right? So lets look at your pics again shall we just to clear this wee factor up... remember here mate you posted these no one else just YOU yep you posted them while YOU were asking for advice and information remember that shall we

Number 1 pic http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=22735&d=1146038115

so theres the bare bilge... doesnt anyone else see the accumulated crap in there but me?... and that white stuff now that isnt white wood is it? musta missed that timber in all my years eh?... no Id swear that thats white paint with black gunk everywhere but hey thats just me :rolleyes:

Number 2 pic
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=22736&d=1146038115

Lookin good eh? what about that crap down the transom end ooh right thats nice new wood eh or mmm maybe its paint of some discription Ive never seen before... now thats good eh!

Number 3 pic
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=22737&d=1146038115

Looking good!!! :cool: eerr umm scuse me? what about that second frame on the left bit speckled blackish isnt it? ooh and what of the edges where the carlins meet the "deck" real clean there isnt it?

Finally number 4
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=22738&d=1146038115

Two blokes havin a well earned drink eh!! Goodonem!! oooh look just along from the bloke on the rights foot whats that next to the second carlin where it meets the "deck"? man you blokes love your black speckled paint on white dontcha :rolleyes:

So did you bother checking the frames while you had the damned ply off or just think yeah thats it buggar it damn hard work this wipin crap of the bilge better whack the ply down and have a beer eh... how could you have done any SERIOUS checking of the frames timbers keel or anybloodything else if youve left the crap crud and paint on them?... geez your good :rolleyes:

As I said before take the damned ply up toss it away get down and get the bilge CLEANED... Back to BARE timber you know that wood stuff uncovered with bloody paint and crap!!... THEN... get down on your friggin knees and check every friggin inch of her frames knees keel stem and all the bloody wood of the planks... check her carefully!!

See this picture YOU put up shows

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=22734&d=1146038115

Several frames that I would think are REAL suspect and NEED close checking... perhaps as I said INITIALLY that I may be wrong given that the pics arent real good for a close check from where we sit but LOOK AT THE FRAMES!!! from here it looks that at least 3 on the starboard side and 2 on the port NEED to be replaced or at least sistering... you do know what sistering means in this subject dont you? no i dont think you do but anyway someone else can tell you cause mate your a friggin wakker of the worst sort and I really cant be stuffed giving you any advice that YOU ASK FOR so.... enjoy your life and I hope you blokes do the boat justice (which I doubt given your comments on this thread) otherwise I reckon she will end up ais a great vegie patch so enjoy :rolleyes:

Wood Butcher
10th May 2006, 10:45 AM
as i said...........wanker...........thanks for the assistance from the guys that have helped............but this kind of crap we dont need.......bitter and twisted people arent what we are about......we will just get on with the job..........no more posts from us
I don't think you have it right. Fair enough the post is a bit full on but Dingo is just very passionate about boats and just wants to see it done well. If you don't want to read it put him on your ignore list and you'll never see him again.

I for one would like to keep seeing your progress but it is your choice if you leave!

ptc
10th May 2006, 10:47 AM
Please keep posting.
and prove Dingo Wrong.
i would like to see your progress over time.

Gryphon
10th May 2006, 10:58 AM

I know that I am a newbie here, but my 2cents.

You guys asked for advice stating that you have no major experience with wooden boats. From what I have read through these boat forums Wild Dingo does. He offered you some good advice that would only lead to the longivity of your boat and you flame him online.

I think that you guys are the WANKERS for not having the decency to listen to and respect a senior members opinions. He is just trying to help!

Wild Dingo
10th May 2006, 11:32 AM
Yep thats it!! Just ignore me... Like I care :rolleyes:

You said you wanted advice assistance and help sorry I took notice of that and offered some... mmm if that makes me a wanker whats asking for advice and when getting it (even if you dont like it) make you sport?

By all means as has been said before keep posting and updating us Id be interested to know how it goes... seriously! And also as Ive repeatedly said she is a beauty.

Steve go have a friggin read will you? Then suck a bloody goanna's ass! No where have I made any comment that says or implies its not up to my standard... ALL I HAVE said all along is for this idiot to do the job right!...

You and he are happy having broken frames in your OLD wooden boat? Remind me to tell you to get stuffed if you ever ask me to go fishing with you eh!...

And yeah that black stuff on the paint? Tells anyone who cares to look that this idiot didnt clean the bliges so couldnt have got close enough a look to KNOW what the hells wrong with it...

I flamed him? Dont be a bloody jerk Steve! I nowhere near flamed this idiot... I offered him advice not accolades... I offered some suggestions not pats on the back... I offered him a suggestion on a few areas that I saw as potential problem areas that he showed in his pictures not cuddles and huggies... I also offered my opinion of shyteheaded morinic dipsticks who buy these beautiful old boats then cause theyre too up their own asses to actually listen to advice F*** the entire restoration up and then cry in their friggin beers cause its broken cause they were offered some advice but decided they "dont need this"... WHEN ITS WHAT THEY BLOODY ASKED FOR!!... did I say or imply that meant him and his mates? no its a generalisation based on years of watching said shytehead moronic dipsticks... he wants to take that personal thats his choice...yet cause I do offer advice and dont play the luvy duvy everythings wonderful game Im a wanker?? :rolleyes:

Remind me not to offer advice or knowledge or anything to someone that asks for it... instead I will do like youve done eh? "Ooooh goodie look at that lovely old boat isnt it beautiful good job well done mate dont worry about the nasty bloke over there who is offering you advice ignore him listen to me Im praising you" :rolleyes:

BULLBLOODYSHYTE! This idiot asked for our advice when someone gives it and he doesnt like it so he starts calling that person names? what a crock of crap! :mad:

ITS AN OLD BOAT... 1928 remember!! Friggin hell it would be a RARE as hens teeth that any OLD WOODEN BOAT didnt have a fair few problems! Let alone one from 1928!!... he said he was a skiff sailor not a boat builder remember... he asked for advice REMEMBER!! I didnt say there were DEFINANTLY broken frames just that it looked like there were POSSIBLY a few but I also said the bloody pic was a bit IFFY to say definantly... damn this gives me the bloody shytes!

Idiotboy... Sometimes the best advice you can get is the advice you dont want to hear!

You want advice? take it with good grace... if its not what you want to hear then maybe just bloody maybe the person offering it is just trying to get you to be bloody realistic with it think about it and do the job right the first time cause idiotboy theres rarely a second chance if that persons right and youre wrong!.. But hey ignore me and go right along friggin around maybe it will be okay listen to the panderers and people who have no love of boats listen to the oohhs and ahhs pats on the backs and other shyte from those who dont have a bloody clue and dont offer any real advice go right ahead...

Idiot :rolleyes:

(hey! At least I didnt start swearing at him cause he didnt like my advice I mean I could have really said what I thought and pulled no punches!! But I was controlled and just called him an idiot... which if he doesnt at least get the shyte off the bloody bilges and get down to bare wood so he can SEE the wood he proves he is)

It was only AFTER my initial post that idiotboy objected to that he stated...
as to your comments re the bilge........it has already been cleaned and checked.....we are lucky enough to have some good freinds who are capable boat builders and restorers and who offer encouragement rather than misguided spiteful comments... So suddenly hes got some good freinds that are capable boat builders and restorers?? So were now meant to be bloody mind readers as well? Why didnt idiot boy say that in the first place? And if its so why the hell ask for advice help and assistance here! hes already got expert advice!... I made spiteful comments? WHERE? If I did my apologies if however all I did was to offer advice and opinion one of which you asked for the other Im entitled to then you owe me an apology for the "wanker" comment :mad:You say I should get my ducks in a row? Fine no problems BUT let me suggest you stop pissin in everyones pockets idiotboy... why didnt you say you have good freinds who were capable boatbuilders and restorers when you made the comments about not knowing what your doing? That would have helped with the responses... idiot

And where does idiotboy say anything about the boat being a "goer" Steve? Id suggest your talking about his comments here on the first post right?...

we slipped her and got her going and brought her up to Sydney in big 2 mtere swells a couple of weeks ago

Well scuse me... But where does he state that he or his mates have fixed it so its a proper goer so theyve taken the motor/s out checked it them over repaired parts replaced etc...ooh thats right NOWHERE!!... oops the pic of the bilge sans motor tells us that hes done the motor up a treat doesnt it of course it does silly me! Just because they managed to get the motor running enough to get them to their slip to do the work doesnt mean that the bloody motors been fixed or even looked at by someone who has a clue... or does it?

What other forums has he posted to?... and what other coments has he gained from them that could be negative?... he certainly hasnt posted to Woodenboat.com's forums which would have to be the most respected forum on the internet for woodenboat builders restorers and designers (lets not get into the "bilge" forum section here thats a different kettle of fish entirely!!) and should have been one of the first places he should have posted his questions on... gawd I could just imagine his sookylala attitude to Bob Cleek or Dave Fleming when they tell him the same as I did only harsher... he thinks mine are bad try "FUGGEDABOUDIT" for a response!... but the helps there if he chooses to listen to it...

Okay one last bit of advice idiotboy? go to http://www.woodenboat.com then click on forums its down the right hand side of the page... then go to this thread in the "building and repair" forums http://www.woodenboat-ubb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=48786 a fella named Jim Hillman and others have gathered a wealth of information together from over the years posted by KNOWLEDGABLE PEOPLE like oohh I dont know lets say... boatbuilders (large and small), boat restorers (large and small), naval archetects designers (all sorts of designs) naval surveyors ferrymen sailors fishermen powerboaters people who own and build and use woodenboats of all discriptions and ages... you know that sort of people knowledgable professional experienced people... then just click the highlighted links and you go to a page that has all the info on many issues related to woodenboats... then if the answer to your questions isnt there then by all means post a question in the building and repair or misc boat related forums and you will get measured intelligent knowledgable responses from people all over the world... for free!!... mmm but then again you will be asking for advice wont you? and maybe they will also give it and then you will chuck a sookielala like you have here and then you will get a response like you have here... mmm so maybe in the words of Bob Cleek lets just FUGGEDABOUDIT!!

sigh all right enough...
Idiotboy... I truely hope that you and your mates (all of them) can get Myrna back to her original state or even to a state where you can enjoy her for some years to come believe it or not I actually wish you the best... as Ive said before she is a beauty and could be once again

oops sorry didnt see you up there Gryphon...Thanks for the support and let me be the first to welcome to the forums... dont lurk!! ;)

Boatmik
10th May 2006, 08:10 PM
Dingo does bite occasionally but he also knows a great deal - particularly about traditionally built boats.

One major structural omission are the floors that hold the two sides of the boat together. As she is she will split down the middle if she gets any significant loads.

"Floor or Floor Timber - A transverse structural member lying across the keel and tying the frames on either side of the keel together. The central futtock or futtocks of a sawn frame, lying across the
keel. Floor timbers join both sides of a vessel together and make up the substructure for external keel fastenings, engine beds, and mast steps."
from - http://www.uscg.mil/hq/gm/nvic/7_95/n7-95.htm

At the moment there doesn't look like theres anything taking that load.

You cant rely on the keel to hold the two sides of the boat together because it is running longitudinally and will simply split as neatly as if you run an axe down the middle of kindling timber - straight down the grain - allowing the two halves of the boat to go their own ways.

The floors also prevent the boat from spreading out of shape immediately above the keel. It also allows the engine weight and any rig loads to carried in the centreline structure.

Here is a link to the Maritime Safety website with a link to the USL code which is a system that gives designers and builders some idea of standard practice.

http://www.nmsc.gov.au/uslcode_disclaimer.html (http://www.nmsc.gov.au/uslcode_2.htm)

Look down the list for "construction - wood" and download the PDF

It has drawings of the parts and tells you what size they have to be and how they have to be fastened.

I hate the USL code with a vengeance because it doesn't allow light modern boats to be built using new methods (though the system is being changed - finally) - but for a 1922 ferry it will be PERFECT.

It is a good basis for restoring the boat. I would actually suggest you hire someone (ie a qualified marine surveyor or traditionally trained shipwright) to have a look over what you have. It will cost you a few hundred, but you will save a few thousand as they will be able to pinpoint any problems quickly and efficiently and give you a couple of different suggestions about how to fix them.

But have a look over the USL code first.

One possible misunderstanding you will get from the USL code is that it allows galv fastenings. These are not the ones you generally get from Bunnings, which are too thinly galvanised and will last about a year, but ones with very heavy galvanising.

See if you can dig us someone who actually knows this sorta stuff in your local area. Invite him around for a coupla beers every few weeks.

If your boatbuilding mates haven't mentioned the omission of floors - you had better look elsewhere for help - maybe they know something about painting boats, but to not notice this major omission ...

There are lots of people who sorta know stuff and others who really do - for example I qualify as one who sorta knows about traditional construction - but I sorta know enough to recognise when someone ACTUALLY knows.

Get a hold of a couple of books on traditional boat building. Sam Rabl did a good one - Bud Macintosh (Dingo - where are you when you're needed! Which books do you reckon are good enough to grace your bookshelf and have enough pictures for me to understand!?)

Best Regards
Michael Storer

Wild Dingo
10th May 2006, 09:47 PM
Not to offer this idiotboy any advice Mik as he wont listen :( :mad: ... and I must admit Im waiting for him to charge back in and call you a derogitory name for also daring to offer advice... ooh and quick before he gets the opportunity his boat is 1928 model not 1922... carefull there old mate! ;) ut hang on he may well come in and tell me Im wrong and if Id dared read the thread and what he had posted Id have known it was an 1828 model... and Id be an even bigger "wanker" (note here Id love to know how he thinks he knows Im a wanker since hes over there and Im here and anyways whats my sexual predilicshuns got to do with him? aaah the dopey gits a wino in the making!!! Thats it... steady Shane steady gettin close to havin a go at idiotboy here... STOP IT!!! ooohh but I cant its just sooooo freekin easy!! :D

Anyway as you suggest Rabl is great as is Buds build a woodenboat bloody terrific for a novice as idiotboy no doubt is but will probably next tell us hes built several gaff rigged galleons for GW Bush and co as a gift and that his brillaince is unsurpassed in the boatbuilding world... stop it Shane! sorry my bad :o :D ... as it has masses of self explaintory pictures and recommends some interesting different methods he also has a very simplistic style which should suit idiotboy to a tee... but in fact not to imply Buds book is for only such as idiotboy in fact its bloody brilliant for anyone! I know a NA in Canada who reads it constantly... as Bud had such a wealth of experience knowledge and a manner thats quite engaging... another would be Skenes and then of course Chappell tomes if wordy technogabble is your forte... Actually Skenes is a mainstay of many a designers bookshelf and Chappels are full of offsets lines and sail plans of various boats... theres a couple of other must haves that are on the tip of me tongue but are presently arguing with me just now

I still steadfastly maintain that idiotboy should go to woodenboat.com and ask his questions there... many is the novice that has gone there and come away with a huge source of invaluable information

Damn!!! that could be read as giving him advice yet again!!! Buggar!! :p

Course my spellings totally upta as per usual :o

crawdaddyjim50
13th May 2006, 11:56 AM
Ok Shane I am here but the dance seems to be over? They have the makings of a nice boat. I do believe a closer look at the bilge area is in order. But I don't think they will as it would slow down the party they are trying to get to. A real shame as I would give a eye tooth to have a boat like that on the river where I live.....too bad.

stevebaby
13th May 2006, 01:07 PM
Just ignore me...

Remind me not to offer advice or knowledge or anything to someone that asks for it... Consider yourself reminded.

Wild Dingo
13th May 2006, 01:24 PM
Welcome to the forum Jim
And yes its a flamin brilliant looking old boat and mate same here with givin my eyeteeth for one the same :cool:

Steve... thank you for the reminder! ;)

ernknot
13th May 2006, 11:53 PM
idiyotboy just wanted everyone to know he had a boat that makes most boaties envious. Wild dingo pointed out that myrnaboys are bloody idiots and have no real knowledge of restoration. They were probalby peed off that someone knows more than they do. the fact they will not post again is blessing, we don't need these tuggers on line.

Boatmik
16th May 2006, 12:39 PM
the fact they will not post again is blessing, we don't need these tuggers on line.

I am sure at some times I sound like a bit of a tugger too :-)

Being skiff boys they probably know a bit aoubt some things - but if you want to see what a whole lot of skiff boys look like when they are communicating - have a look at the forae at Sailing Anarchy. I usually end up feeling so angry and embarrassed just reading the stuff that I always vow never to return.

MIKxx

Myrna worker
19th May 2006, 01:52 PM
Hi Wild Dingo,
I am one of the workers from the photo (on the left). Please excuse the Myrnaboys writer as hes a bit grumpy at the moment and actually knows stuff all about what we are doing. I REALLY APPRECIATE all of the advice on things to do. The bilge has been cleaned out (boy was that fun...gag...gag) and the inside hull vacuumed as Gerni & wooden boat do not mix. Anyway, I have looked up all of the things you have suggested and made a list of to do's. we are on number 4 of 22 and slowly but surely getting her right. We are getting a lot of help out of Woolwich Marina and their expertise. We are rediscovering the joy or everdure and I will keep the thread and photos going.
Look thanks again for your thoughts, all have been listened to (well 3 out of 4 of us anyway) and put into action.
when I figure out how to post a photo with my 9 month old at the wheel on a sunny day (heaven for me & him) i';ll do it
Ben

Myrna worker
19th May 2006, 02:32 PM
Boatmik,
Thanks for the advice and the links.
We bought this off a carpenter and not a shipwright and we have found that he wasnt much of a carpenter (Oh Jesus!?!) and we have had to replace repair or return where necessary. Previous owner must have had a mate at West Systems cause there is more epoxy than wood in most of the joins.
We did have and keep getting advice from a ships surveyor who helps and has pointed out a lot of the things we have missed as mentioned in the forum.
Thanks for all the help
Myrna worker
Ben

Studley 2436
19th May 2006, 02:45 PM
Welcome in Myrna Worker. Actually this thread has been good for getting a few new people in welcome to all. Myself I am into wood for it's beauty and don't know anything at all about building boats but that bilge made me think that is a ton of work to clean that out and get it right. Being the bilge I would have thought it best to do it really mickey mouse because as the job goes on the bilge is tucked away out of sight and forgotten. Anyway sounds as if you are in touch with people who know something about it and also have done the bilge allready. Like Dingo points out it is a really good idea to be fussy with the structure. If it were me doing the job I would be thinking in terms of stripping all the paint off all over so you could see what is going on underneath. It is the old do it once do it well idea. When the paint is off you will find out what timber is good and what isn't and you might find some dodgies that the builders let past that you want to fix properly now.

Anyway good luck with it all. Keep us posted about how you are going.

To post pics just scroll down the page a bit and click the manage attatchments button. Then you select a file and upload it by clicking the buttons. make sure the file is less than 100K and that is all there is to it.

Studley

stevebaby
19th May 2006, 09:39 PM
Stripping all the paint off in the bilge is a huge job..almost impossible to get at with power tools and that means hand scraping 80 years worth of paint off.The shippies at Woolwich have an excellent rep and as you no doubt know they have a fair bit of experience in old wooden boats.Perhaps ask them about the viability of completely stripping it and be guided by their advice.
It really depends what level of restoration you are aiming for.IMHO,it may be better to concentrate on ensuring the boat is safe and seaworthy and I assume this has been done.If there is a way around completely stripping it then that would probably be the way to go.It would mean having the boat out of the water for a lengthy period ;people tend to lose enthusiasm for boats that aren't being used regularly.Keep using her as much as possible and keep having parties on board and people will stay interested in the boat.
She is obviously a workboat and likely to have been in survey for much of her life so even if the last owner neglected her she is likely to be in basically sound condition.The bilge doesn't look too bad to me.I promise...there are working boats in survey on the harbour with bilges that look much worse than Myrna's but are checked by Maritime NSW for soundness and safety annually.
I hope you guys resist the urge to varnish everything.To me,it would detract from the character of the boat as well as being a lot of work to maintain.A well finished paint job will really set her off nicely.
Working boats like this have a charm all their own..somehow,the fact that they have earned their living makes them much more appealling to me than a finely finished yacht.It's good to see that she is in good hands and I'll look forward to seeing her out on the water.
Best wishes and happy voyages!
Steve:D

Wild Dingo
2nd June 2006, 01:33 PM
Okay so the Maritime mob inspect them... are they the ones that are going to trust their lives to that boat? Are they the ones who will accept blame or responsibility for the planks that may pop the garboard that may split the frames that need sistering but cause they cant see past the 80 years of paint and gumph dont get done and so when they finally give will the Maritime mob in NSW take responsibility for that?... No the wont!... The only ones who can BE ABSOLUTELY SURE that its done right are the blokes working on her!

The Maritime mobs are just like you and me mate theyre humans doin a job and often like all humans doin a job they become complaicent bored sick and tired phisssed of over worked whatever... theyre human and its that very human frailty that doesnt find fault doesnt take the time or are just so damned busy and snowed under with work that they may just may skip a few things along the way...

Are you prepared to risk it? are you prepared to put everything on the line trusting that those bods who have no invested or emotional interest in her get it right?

Not knockin the maritime inspectors hell they do a great job! Just that its my belief that if your going to do a job then do it right first time dont trust someone else seeing what you may have missed... dont miss it in the first place!

Is it soooo much work to get down and scrape that paint and gumph of? is it really sooo hard? rather than saying that lets say this... Isnt it worth the effort?... Isnt a 1920 built boat with a history worth taking that little bit more effort with?... Isnt she Myrna worth the time effort sweat and tears to do whatever has to be done?

Trust not the maritime boys trust yourself!!

If you believe youve done EVERYTHING... covered every base... fixed every possible potential problem and gotten filthy dirty, tired as buggary and sick and tired of sanding sanding sanding and yet more sanding... then quite possibly you will be right... but to not do it and trust the maritime boys to clear her to sail or motor with you, your family and your friends lives on the line would to me be the height of foolishness

Take the time to do whatever has to be done to ENSURE that she is seaworthy in the first instance and she will be as good as she can ever be.

Im not sayin these fellas cant just do a slap dash job (not that Im implying they are!!) and get it passed cause shes an old workboat Im sayin why not do a great job a thorough job the first time get it right the first time and ENJOY the process and then the journey and after that KNOW she is as safe seaworthy and beautiful as you could make her havin taken the time to do it right... thats all Im saying

I beleive that these "old workboats" ferrys luggars even the old coutas should be treated with respect given the history behind them... sure they were workboats but they were beautiful in their way as well they served their owners well they lasted the distance because someone took the time to do it right the first time round... its only befiting that an owner some 80+ years down the track should take care to do the same.

Good luck to the "boys" working on her be that Ben or the other chap or the others involved!! May she be all you could ever dream of :cool:
Shane

PS... keep posting updates!!! and pics!!! I promise not to blast you again... seriously I wont... well much anyways!! :D

meerkat
2nd June 2006, 04:34 PM
More boat please :)

viking
20th July 2006, 10:19 PM
well stop yeh bitchn its not the amatures that we need to worry about its the the pros who behave like amatures but we pay them like their profesionals !!!!!! :eek:
Yep thats it!! Just ignore me... Like I care :rolleyes:

You said you wanted advice assistance and help sorry I took notice of that and offered some... mmm if that makes me a wanker whats asking for advice and when getting it (even if you dont like it) make you sport?

By all means as has been said before keep posting and updating us Id be interested to know how it goes... seriously! And also as Ive repeatedly said she is a beauty.

Steve go have a friggin read will you? Then suck a bloody goanna's ass! No where have I made any comment that says or implies its not up to my standard... ALL I HAVE said all along is for this idiot to do the job right!...

You and he are happy having broken frames in your OLD wooden boat? Remind me to tell you to get stuffed if you ever ask me to go fishing with you eh!...

And yeah that black stuff on the paint? Tells anyone who cares to look that this idiot didnt clean the bliges so couldnt have got close enough a look to KNOW what the hells wrong with it...

I flamed him? Dont be a bloody jerk Steve! I nowhere near flamed this idiot... I offered him advice not accolades... I offered some suggestions not pats on the back... I offered him a suggestion on a few areas that I saw as potential problem areas that he showed in his pictures not cuddles and huggies... I also offered my opinion of shyteheaded morinic dipsticks who buy these beautiful old boats then cause theyre too up their own asses to actually listen to advice F*** the entire restoration up and then cry in their friggin beers cause its broken cause they were offered some advice but decided they "dont need this"... WHEN ITS WHAT THEY BLOODY ASKED FOR!!... did I say or imply that meant him and his mates? no its a generalisation based on years of watching said shytehead moronic dipsticks... he wants to take that personal thats his choice...yet cause I do offer advice and dont play the luvy duvy everythings wonderful game Im a wanker?? :rolleyes:

Remind me not to offer advice or knowledge or anything to someone that asks for it... instead I will do like youve done eh? "Ooooh goodie look at that lovely old boat isnt it beautiful good job well done mate dont worry about the nasty bloke over there who is offering you advice ignore him listen to me Im praising you" :rolleyes:

BULLBLOODYSHYTE! This idiot asked for our advice when someone gives it and he doesnt like it so he starts calling that person names? what a crock of crap! :mad:

ITS AN OLD BOAT... 1928 remember!! Friggin hell it would be a RARE as hens teeth that any OLD WOODEN BOAT didnt have a fair few problems! Let alone one from 1928!!... he said he was a skiff sailor not a boat builder remember... he asked for advice REMEMBER!! I didnt say there were DEFINANTLY broken frames just that it looked like there were POSSIBLY a few but I also said the bloody pic was a bit IFFY to say definantly... damn this gives me the bloody shytes!

Idiotboy... Sometimes the best advice you can get is the advice you dont want to hear!

You want advice? take it with good grace... if its not what you want to hear then maybe just bloody maybe the person offering it is just trying to get you to be bloody realistic with it think about it and do the job right the first time cause idiotboy theres rarely a second chance if that persons right and youre wrong!.. But hey ignore me and go right along friggin around maybe it will be okay listen to the panderers and people who have no love of boats listen to the oohhs and ahhs pats on the backs and other shyte from those who dont have a bloody clue and dont offer any real advice go right ahead...

Idiot :rolleyes:

(hey! At least I didnt start swearing at him cause he didnt like my advice I mean I could have really said what I thought and pulled no punches!! But I was controlled and just called him an idiot... which if he doesnt at least get the shyte off the bloody bilges and get down to bare wood so he can SEE the wood he proves he is)

It was only AFTER my initial post that idiotboy objected to that he stated... So suddenly hes got some good freinds that are capable boat builders and restorers?? So were now meant to be bloody mind readers as well? Why didnt idiot boy say that in the first place? And if its so why the hell ask for advice help and assistance here! hes already got expert advice!... I made spiteful comments? WHERE? If I did my apologies if however all I did was to offer advice and opinion one of which you asked for the other Im entitled to then you owe me an apology for the "wanker" comment :mad:You say I should get my ducks in a row? Fine no problems BUT let me suggest you stop pissin in everyones pockets idiotboy... why didnt you say you have good freinds who were capable boatbuilders and restorers when you made the comments about not knowing what your doing? That would have helped with the responses... idiot

And where does idiotboy say anything about the boat being a "goer" Steve? Id suggest your talking about his comments here on the first post right?...

Well scuse me... But where does he state that he or his mates have fixed it so its a proper goer so theyve taken the motor/s out checked it them over repaired parts replaced etc...ooh thats right NOWHERE!!... oops the pic of the bilge sans motor tells us that hes done the motor up a treat doesnt it of course it does silly me! Just because they managed to get the motor running enough to get them to their slip to do the work doesnt mean that the bloody motors been fixed or even looked at by someone who has a clue... or does it?

What other forums has he posted to?... and what other coments has he gained from them that could be negative?... he certainly hasnt posted to Woodenboat.com's forums which would have to be the most respected forum on the internet for woodenboat builders restorers and designers (lets not get into the "bilge" forum section here thats a different kettle of fish entirely!!) and should have been one of the first places he should have posted his questions on... gawd I could just imagine his sookylala attitude to Bob Cleek or Dave Fleming when they tell him the same as I did only harsher... he thinks mine are bad try "FUGGEDABOUDIT" for a response!... but the helps there if he chooses to listen to it...

Okay one last bit of advice idiotboy? go to http://www.woodenboat.com then click on forums its down the right hand side of the page... then go to this thread in the "building and repair" forums http://www.woodenboat-ubb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=48786 a fella named Jim Hillman and others have gathered a wealth of information together from over the years posted by KNOWLEDGABLE PEOPLE like oohh I dont know lets say... boatbuilders (large and small), boat restorers (large and small), naval archetects designers (all sorts of designs) naval surveyors ferrymen sailors fishermen powerboaters people who own and build and use woodenboats of all discriptions and ages... you know that sort of people knowledgable professional experienced people... then just click the highlighted links and you go to a page that has all the info on many issues related to woodenboats... then if the answer to your questions isnt there then by all means post a question in the building and repair or misc boat related forums and you will get measured intelligent knowledgable responses from people all over the world... for free!!... mmm but then again you will be asking for advice wont you? and maybe they will also give it and then you will chuck a sookielala like you have here and then you will get a response like you have here... mmm so maybe in the words of Bob Cleek lets just FUGGEDABOUDIT!!

sigh all right enough...
Idiotboy... I truely hope that you and your mates (all of them) can get Myrna back to her original state or even to a state where you can enjoy her for some years to come believe it or not I actually wish you the best... as Ive said before she is a beauty and could be once again

oops sorry didnt see you up there Gryphon...Thanks for the support and let me be the first to welcome to the forums... dont lurk!! ;)

viking
20th July 2006, 10:43 PM
heres how i do it .slip it .degrease it. scrub it. [see shippy if you come across caulking ,dont pull at it] clean it throw it back in . scrape and heat gun it ,easy with a good one ie ,hot. prime it. paint it. all done easy should take about 60 hours now get to it and sister those ribs while your at it use plastic nylon you know that chopping board plastic stuff means you can sister the ribs without cutting holes in the decks,steaming laminating ext. and you can feed them from the keel and use silicone bronze fastenings only u water .:rolleyes:

viking
21st July 2006, 12:42 AM
The one on the right is saying, " see, now this is a deck, not a floor"

Al :p
no gues again its a cockpit :eek: sole

bitingmidge
21st July 2006, 02:25 AM
Hmmmm.... and here was I thinking we'd sorted that in April! :rolleyes:

P
:D

ernknot
21st July 2006, 03:12 AM
Zed, close the thread, it's going nowhere.

bitingmidge
21st July 2006, 08:29 AM
That's a bit harsh!

viking's just come on board, and for reasons best known to himself, but I'd put down to inexperience round these parts, he's picked up three issues which have been dead for quite some time.

Why on earth does that justify closing a thread?

Myrna's still under restoration, and this is where the pics will get posted, so don't do that!

P:cool:

jmk89
21st July 2006, 10:01 AM
I agree with midge - I don't quite follow what Viking is saying, but I would like the boys restoring Myrna to keep us up to date with their progress.

meerkat
21st July 2006, 10:10 AM
Yup the boats still being restored so please leave it open.

viking
21st July 2006, 01:57 PM
That's a bit harsh!

viking's just come on board, and for reasons best known to himself, but I'd put down to inexperience round these parts, he's picked up three issues which have been dead for quite some time.

Why on earth does that justify closing a thread?

Myrna's still under restoration, and this is where the pics will get posted, so don't do that!

yeh sorry shipmates first timer at forums should have looked at the date sorry

P:cool:

bitingmidge
21st July 2006, 02:03 PM
No worries!

You've got nine posts now viking, so you'd be getting ready for a good old fashioned flogging next time you slip up I guess! :D :D :D

What species of viking dresses as a pirate anyway?

P (well you've got to get used to crossed threads round here fella!)
:D :D :D

meerkat
21st July 2006, 03:07 PM
What species of viking dresses as a pirate anyway?

P (well you've got to get used to crossed threads round here fella!)
:D :D :D

Crossed threads or cross dresser ???:eek::eek:;)

Boatmik
21st July 2006, 04:01 PM
Did notice this - am I misunderstanding you Viking?

sister those ribs while your at it use plastic nylon you know that chopping board plastic stuff means you can sister the ribs without cutting holes in the decks,steaming laminating ext. and you can feed them from the keel and use silicone bronze fastenings only u water .:rolleyes:
Are you suggesting sistering with plastic chopping board?

I suspect it is too flexible and tends to tear around fastenings.

And you wouldn't use 3/4" thick chopping board to sister a 2 z 3" rib.

I would suggest an experiment.

Take a piece of timber the size of the ribs in question and about 6ft long

Cut it in half.

Sister it together with the plastic chopping board each side and fasten.

Clamp one end to a workbench - ensure the chopping board sisters are vertical - not horizontal - and sit on the other end.

If the timber breaks first somewhere then it is a ripper method of doing a repair - but I think you will find the plasic bends very easily and tears around the fastenings.

If sistering you should use timber with a total cross section equal to the member in question. The overlap ON EACH SIDE of the damage needs to be a minimum of 10 times the thickness of the member.

If the member is glued to the suface of the hull the sisters can be too. If the the member is not then care should be taken to make sure the sister/s are glued to the member only. Use brown packaging tape on the hull to prevent accidental bonding.

Best Regards
Michael Storer

viking
21st July 2006, 08:45 PM
when a mate of mine put me on to this i said you have to be fing kiding :eek: then he went further:o with ribs they alwase break in sheer .
this plastic is well imposible to break in sheer and takes the turn of the bilge well .
:mad: with timber no choice but to cut holes in the deck and steam or laminate coming down from the top.
cut to the same size and warmed in the sun and belted in position we had ribs broken in many places up to 3 points in each one and about 14 ribs to sistr and sheer clamp, bilge, turn of bilge 6x12 stringers to get under:mad: .
2.5' x1 3/4' x5ft long and fastened with silicone bronze bellow/Dwl and s/s above/Dwl spoze you could use copper nail and rove the bloke we got it from said their was different grades we used the stiffest. seen and suveyed this boat since and she has held up well and needed no re chaulking:rolleyes: im sold with this method
:confused: but its not for everone and still leaves a lump in my purest throat but its still working well and the the fastenings are still holding strong after 5 years
but their was a bit of trial and error as with any new technique
ended up doing it with bit and brace 4 doing em up festo bat drill didnt cut it and the s/s screws and bronze held like mad broke a few s/s and sil bronze.
:cool: itdidnt trust it so i did lump hammer research with wood and plastic plastic won especialy with a point load test it would bounce back and throw the lumpy back at yah

Myrna worker
14th September 2007, 03:01 PM
Hi Wild Dingo,
Sorry we didnt tell you about the cleaning of the bilge pre deck/sole/floor being laid (REMEMBER SKIFFF TERMS ONLY!!!!) I personally got real dirty cleaning the grease/sludge/god knows what was in the bilge. Had a Woolwich Marina employee (I wish I remembered his name top bloke) look at he cleaned out bilge for any probs/split ribs/repairs needed.
Not a great job and yes we do appreciate any help from the fiorum as previously stated we take her out for leisurely cruises and a spot of fishing... (we will get above 1000 rpm one day)
We may be doing a half assed job but I personally invite you to inspect and be our paid in beer supervisor for a day (cruise included) and let us know what could be done now/better as we really are skiffys call me on 0414 763285 to organise an inspection.....PS open invitation to all experienced boat people on how not to ..hmmm F her up!!!!

Myrna worker
14th September 2007, 03:29 PM
OK......it's been about 12 months since you heard from us and not sure if anyone is reading this but here is a quick update and a few pics. Firstly, all broken ribs were professionally repaired, the new deck (or floor as some of you like to call it.....i'm not fussed) has had a good workout and is still in great condition and ready for its 6 monthly oil. The floor was built so it can be removed at any time so access to the bilge can be easy in case of any future repairs needed. She has had a good lick of paint inside and out, new covers, toilet, small sink and stove, port, starboard and stern light, cabin lights, stereo, horn, all electrics including battery switch.
We are getting there and she is at a point where its nice to take out for a chug up the river. Still have more work to do on her which will be done when the time and money is available (all donations gladly accepted) :) :2tsup:
Anyway, thought some of you might be interested.
Cheers

Myrna worker
14th September 2007, 04:21 PM
so Deefa what do you think???

jow104
14th September 2007, 06:01 PM
Congratulations on a nice looking restoration. Cant make the trip down myself but would have loved the run out .

Wild Dingo
14th September 2007, 06:08 PM
Shes looking pretty good... well done to all involved

I think it best that I leave my comments to that... she looks great cosmetically and hopefully its all good below decks and the jobs been done well... although that comment regarding sistering with plastic chopping board worries the bloody blue blazes out of me... but hey what do I know eh? maybe it works... personally I hope you didnt go that route but stuck with the more appropriate and known methods.

Bunbury to Sydney to have a look at Myrna? yeah okay I can see that happening :roll: :U :U

Anyway as I say shes looking good from the photos you show... and you seem happy with the work as has been done and chuffed with your efforts and well mates... Well done :2tsup:

Lewy the Fly
14th September 2007, 11:42 PM
Dingo,
Don't doudt your knowledge and advice, but as a man with a few miles under the belt, I've learnt that you hold a carrot in front of a donkey and he'll follow you all day, but try and push him from behind and he'll kick you in the guts. By the way that boat looks great.

Lewy

jow104
15th September 2007, 01:25 AM
Lewy, thats a new version to me of an old adage.:o

Deefa
18th September 2007, 10:17 AM
G'day Myrna Worker,
Sorrry I haven't answered earlier, been busy sailing Felix. I reckon she looks a treat and congrats to all concerned for a job well done. It was a huge job to take on for a bunch of skiff sailors so great effort. I hadn't seen the earlier posts in this thread until I just read them, very interesting...... you guys sure upset the old dingo, anyway seems he has has given you the :2tsup: now so all must be ok.
Thanks for returning to the forum with the recent pics, hope you all have many pleasant voyages on the Harbour soaking up the enjoyment along with whatever else you are consuming. Just keep the driver off it.

jmk89
18th September 2007, 10:51 AM
I reckon Myrna looks great.

I am glad to hear that the ribs were professionally done - if you apply that rule of thumb (if it is structural get the professionals to get it right), you won't go far wrong!

Watch out for little Puddleducks - it might be me and my son (when it gets built) out for a sail. You don't want to end his career as the new Jim Hardy before it got started, do you!:D

Boatmik
20th September 2007, 10:18 AM
Howdy Myrnaworker,

Thanks hugely for following this up and posting the pics. She looks very much on the gorgeous side. Nice to have her buzzing around the harbour again.

Could run highly expensive weekend trips for small groups with gourmet picnic baskets!!

Glad to hear you went orthodox with the ribs! Beauty ain't skin deep!

Congratulations to all the team!

Michael

Scott J Graham
7th May 2008, 11:29 PM
Hi

Not sure if you're still on the site. I know your boat. Live just around the corner on the othe side of Castlecrag point looking to Middel Cove. Looking for suppliers to help with repair and care of my trawler in Middle Harbour. Any recommendations?

Scott