PDA

View Full Version : Boat Trailer

rmm1
15th March 2006, 03:10 PM
Hi, this is my first post ,just joined.I hope to build an 18-20ft dory for offshore fishing .However ,before I decide finally on a plan,I would like to look into the possibility of a trailer with most parts,beams,etc., made from wood.I saw one about 10 years ago,with the beams made from laminated timber,but I have lost touch with the builder.The end result,while quite successful,looked really great.If anyone has any ideas,I would be grateful.Thanks,rmm1.

onthebeachalone
10th May 2006, 08:39 AM
I would like to look into the possibility of a trailer with most parts,beams,etc., made from wood.I saw one about 10 years ago,with the beams made from laminated timber,but I have lost touch with the builder.The end result,while quite successful,looked really great.If anyone has any ideas,I would be grateful.Thanks,rmm1.
I just noticed this post. A friend of mine has an old Mirror 16 sailing dinghy (as I do) and he has a wooden trailer which works well. Let me know if you are still interested and I will put you in touch.

Wild Dingo
10th May 2006, 12:58 PM
1) Check your states licensing laws... making a boat trailer in wood maybe back in the old days you know back when you could drive a car without using a seatbelt... back then... but I cant see it happening now and an 18 - 20ft dory would have some weight attached think for a minute how it would go driving along the road loaded up for fishing on a wooden trailer... the old fellas used to do it but then we used to be able to drive our cars without seatbelts too and our motor bikes without helmets... but times and laws change mate

Did I mention... check your states licensing laws... Although it would look pretty spiffy having a wooden boat on a wooden trailer I doubt the law would agree with its safety load bearing aspects

I sorta like the thought of a nice curley Jarrah one with tyre arches of Sheoak Marri or even maybe Banksia... wouldnt that look spiffy!! A heck of a lot better carrying a wooden boat than shiney or even painted steel one eh?

Good luck with it and hey let us know what the law says will you!! Maybe we can do it :cool:

Daddles
10th May 2006, 01:05 PM
Oh now, now the mad dingo's envisioning his pearling lugger being towed around the state on a matching wooden trailer :eek:

Shane, STOP SNIFFING THE POXY:D

Richard

onthebeachalone
10th May 2006, 03:49 PM
Well, my friend's one is remarkably rust-free, unlike a lot of steel ones I see around (including mine).