PDA

View Full Version : Question for Pen Turners

Steve Walkom
12th April 2002, 10:03 AM
Hi all.
I posted this question on the 'turning newsgroup, but thought I'd try for more Aussie responses....
A question for those of you who are experts at turning pens....
How do you keep from getting glue on the inside of the brass inserts when sliding them into the holes in the timber? If this is impossible, how do you clean up any residual glue that is left once it has dried? (I am particularly interested in the larger, 8 mm & 11mm sized tubes, as my pen mill takes care of the 7mm ones.)
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

ubeaut
12th April 2002, 10:29 AM
Shove the brass lightly into a spud then push it to the side so as to break off a bit of the potato leaving it in the end of the brass. Do the same to the other end and there you have it.

Tim the Timber Turner
12th April 2002, 10:44 AM
I find an apple works better. Cut a slice of apple 12-15mm thick and push tube through apple from the inside leaving the skin square & level with end of tube.

First I spin the tubes in the lathe and sand with 80 grit to help with glue bond. I then use Weldbond, its cheap and has plenty of open time.

Tim The Timber Turner (Some days I turns thisaway and other days I turns thataway).

Iain
12th April 2002, 12:16 PM
Enter Peter Cundell for his expert opinion on what is the best fruit/vegetable to use.

------------------
: http://community.webshots.com/user/iain49