PDA

View Full Version : Chip or Plasterboard?

Metal Head
16th March 2006, 06:57 PM
My partner and I are seriously thinking of refurbishing our kitchen. Presently though our kitchen walls have this wood (looking) sheets that we are wanting to do away with. Thus should we replace them with one of the above?, if so which one would you suggest and why?.

Someone suggested just putting plasterboard straight on top of the panelling but then I would have to reduce (rebate) the frames around the doors to make way for the extra thickness of the plasterboard sheeting:confused: . Has anyone ever done that?.

I appreciated any feedback on any of the questions posed.

Cheers
David

ThePope
16th March 2006, 08:52 PM
Looks like you have random grooved ply panelling, if so I'd be surprised if you don't find plasterboard behind it. If that's the case it'll be glued on so ease it off carefully and patch the plasterboard where needed.

If none of that applies, remove whatever it is and replace with plasterboard. Forget chipboard, it's not suitable for that application unless you're a member of bodegy bros :)

seriph1
25th March 2006, 09:33 AM
Replacing the architraves around doors and windows .... or refitting them after packing, is a straightforward thing, but first as suggested - see what's behind that gad-awful crap on your walls. If you can push it in around 10 - 15 mm with the heel of your hand, then I suggest there is no plaster behind it - if though, it feels solid then it is likely to have something there, though there's no way of knowing what until you look. One easy way to find out is to drill a 6 mm hole through it somewhere you know you will be covering - if a bunch of white stuff comes out when drilling - there's your plaster.

benefits of covering over it are: no more waste produced by removal - slightly more insulation - no cartaway bill for the sheets - less mess

Benefits of removal: you can insulate external walls easily when its off - you start your work from framing, which can be good when rewiring and replumbing is involved - if other trades are doing the work, they will prefer an open frame to work with - marginally easier to refit architraves.

Saw your other post, at least I think it was you - I have not heard good things about kitset ..... let me know what 'burb you're in and I might know someone.

above all - have fun!

Metal Head
7th April 2006, 10:41 PM
Replacing the architraves around doors and windows .... or refitting them after packing, is a straightforward thing, but first as suggested - see what's behind that gad-awful crap on your walls. If you can push it in around 10 - 15 mm with the heel of your hand, then I suggest there is no plaster behind it - if though, it feels solid then it is likely to have something there, though there's no way of knowing what until you look. One easy way to find out is to drill a 6 mm hole through it somewhere you know you will be covering - if a bunch of white stuff comes out when drilling - there's your plaster.

benefits of covering over it are: no more waste produced by removal - slightly more insulation - no cartaway bill for the sheets - less mess

Benefits of removal: you can insulate external walls easily when its off - you start your work from framing, which can be good when rewiring and replumbing is involved - if other trades are doing the work, they will prefer an open frame to work with - marginally easier to refit architraves.

Saw your other post, at least I think it was you - I have not heard good things about kitset ..... let me know what 'burb you're in and I might know someone.

above all - have fun!

Thanx Stevo but I only just noticed the reply:rolleyes:, so I apologize for not having replied sooner. I am going to take out a part panel tomorrow to see what hidden treasures lie behind it hopefully nothing too shocking:eek:.

Btw, I live in Thornbury.

Cheers
David

aussieglen
7th April 2006, 10:56 PM
My partner and I are seriously thinking of refurbishing our kitchen. Presently though our kitchen walls have this wood (looking) sheets that we are wanting to do away with. Thus should we replace them with one of the above?, if so which one would you suggest and why?.

Someone suggested just putting plasterboard straight on top of the panelling but then I would have to reduce (rebate) the frames around the doors to make way for the extra thickness of the plasterboard sheeting:confused: . Has anyone ever done that?.

I appreciated any feedback on any of the questions posed.

Cheers
David

You might be able loosen a power point or switch or remove an architrave or skirting board which might let you into the secret of the sub-structure.
Care here though if the substrate is asbestos sheeting:eek: - I'm sure you know why. I agree that Gyprock is a better way to go than chipboard.
Good luck
Aussieglen