PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Intarsia whizzes

silentC
17th March 2006, 05:20 PM
I want to make a box for a good friend of mine. She gave me a photo of a butterfly once and I'd like to work it into the lid of the box. I don't have the patience or the equipment to make something like this and I wondered if any whizzes out there would be interested in a small commission. It's only going to be small, about 4" x 6" and the butterfly has four colours in it, plus a green leafy background but that is optional. In fact I don't even know if it's possible to take a photo and do something like this with it - but I imagine it would be. So if there's anyone who'd like to have a go at it, name your price.

Tikki
17th March 2006, 05:53 PM
Silent, if you could email me the photo I'll let you know if it is possible to produce an intarsia pattern from it.

Cheers
Tikki :)

silentC
18th March 2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks Tikki, I'll scan it when I get a chance and send it to you. Appreciate it. :)

silentC
22nd March 2006, 09:02 AM
Haven't had a chance to scan it yet but here is a photo of a photo taken on my mobile phone. Hope it's clear enough to get the idea...

oges
22nd March 2006, 09:37 PM
Does it need to be that actual butterfly pic because your friend gave it to you? In a recent scrollsaw magazine it has a butterfly intarsia pattern in it.

Picture of a completed one attached

Not that I could do one of these myself yet.

Tikki
22nd March 2006, 11:14 PM
Haven't had a chance to scan it yet but here is a photo of a photo taken on my mobile phone. Hope it's clear enough to get the idea...

That should be OK Silent

Cheers
Tikki :)

silentC
23rd March 2006, 08:00 AM
G'day Brett. Yes, I'd like to use the one from the photo because there's a story attached to it.

Thanks Tikki, so it can be done. Now who's gonna do it for me? ;)

Maybe I should have a go myself. Not really sure how it's done. S'pose you need a scroll saw?

oges
23rd March 2006, 06:18 PM
Ok no worries

chrisp
23rd March 2006, 07:18 PM
silent,

You could use a scrowsaw - but I understand that some intarsia experts prefer to use a band saw as it is easier to get squarer edges.

The idea is reasonably simple - accurately make a pattern, accurately cut out the separate pieces and sand to give a good fit. Shape tops of the pieces, apply a finish and glue to a backing board. I must try it one day:)

Chris

TEEJAY
2nd April 2006, 07:27 PM
Silent,

I have managed to scroll out the butterfly you have there in 8mm silky oak. Not sure the size is exactly what you are after and for the black bits you would have to ebonise it.

Send me your address and I will post it to you and you can do with it as you wish.

Others may have already done something exactly as you wish - if so then so be it.

I leave it for you to glue and sand the work to the shape you are happy with if it works for you. I just did the bit you can't do as I have the saw etc.

No charge.

silentC
3rd April 2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks TeeJay, PM sent. Must get myself one of those one day. Cheers!! :D