PDA

View Full Version : Interior caravan rebuild

Riverland
19th March 2006, 08:31 PM
i am rebuilding the interior of my caravan. i have waterproofed all the joins and have used 1 inch thick styrene sheets to insulate the van. My problem is this; what is the best material to use for the inside walls and for the flooring ? i will be istalling a shower and a toilet as well.

scooter
19th March 2006, 09:04 PM
Riverland, I think the interiors are usually lined with that plywood wall panelling stuff. It is available in various styles of random grooved timber look stuff that has been around for donkey's years, as well as some new(ish) ungrooved styles in more modern colours.

Gunnerson's are a supplier, look them up to find a stockist near you.

Not sure about the flooring, maybe ply for lightness and strength?

Cheers................Sean

Guy
19th March 2006, 10:15 PM
The ply used on the walls comes in various colours, and is generally called caravan ply

Exador
20th March 2006, 09:04 AM
A few years back I rebuilt two 35' caravans that were originally 3 person accomodation units into mobile laboratories. We stripped the interior back to the frame and started again. The biggest hassle was fitting new internal cladding with the external skin still in place, simply because of the difficulty of making the stuff fit through the doors without buggering it, as well as the issue of trying to drill and rivet into 25mm RHS tube that you can't see, which is not necessarily arranged especially regularly or symmetrically

If you can remove some of the external skin, your job will be MUCH easier, as I discovered on the second one. If you can do it from the inside out, it's a doddle.

Jim Grant
20th March 2006, 11:00 AM
I relined a 16ft caravan using 5mm birch ply and it went fairly smoothly. I found out the hard way that the use of cardboard templates for the trickier shapes was essential.
The plywood was varnished with two coats of coloured polyurathane and it gave a satisfactory finish.
Luckily I didn't have to redo the floor but I would have thought that an exterior plywood would be the best bet.