PDA

View Full Version : advice

edwinn
20th March 2006, 04:42 PM
Hi there, I am new to this forum. I have done my tiling course couple years back and thought its a good time to put in practise (but cant remember half of it). its a new bathroom, walls are all rendered. I need to put in a 'slurry' onto the floor to level it for tiling. I cannot remember whether to tile it around the toilet waste for the toilet to sit on the tile or not. Also, is it necessary to waterproof the outside of the bathtub? I welcome all advise. Edy

mic-d
20th March 2006, 08:06 PM
Welcome Edy. Its easiest to tile up to the waste for the toilet and then sit the toilet on top of the tile in a bed of silicone and screwed.

When you say "slurry" to level the floor, are you talking about self-leveling compound to take out the imperfections? Or are you talking about a 40-50mm bed of mortar? If the latter, then definitely do not use a slurry! It will be impossible to level properly and it will shrink. If you want to do a mortar floor I did an earlier post explaining it that you can search for.

Cheers
Michael

edwinn
21st March 2006, 12:47 PM
Michael, Thanx for that advice. It was mortar mix to fill the imperfection i was referring to. I had a look at the floor and it looks like i need very little of mortar, possibly only 10mm max to level it with the main floor level.
Thanx again for the advice

mic-d
21st March 2006, 07:10 PM
Hi Edy, If you use plain old mortar 10mm thick, it will likely separate from the concrete at some time. Better to use a self-levelling compound suitable for wet areas or I have found that 3:1 cement plasterers sand made up with a latex additive instead of water works well if you're just screeding over imperfections/depressions.

Cheers
Michael

Bin J
22nd March 2006, 11:20 AM
Also, is it necessary to waterproof the outside of the bathtub? I welcome all advise. Edy

I can answer this! We are getting our bathroom done at this very moment and the waterproofing guy has waterproofed the outside villaboard paneling of the bath.

He also waterproofed about 4 inches up the wall around the whole perimetre and all the way from the floor to the taps where the vanity is and also (obviously) right up to where the shower rose is. Also, not the whole floor but around the floor waste.

edwinn
22nd March 2006, 06:40 PM
hey thanx guys for the tips....Mic-any brand of self level compound is good?
Hey Bin-J - thats good to know, what brand did they use?

thanx

Bin J
23rd March 2006, 09:53 AM
What brand??? I don't know - it was blue :D :D :D :D . I'll find out.

mic-d
23rd March 2006, 09:30 PM
Ardit or laticrete are good brands, but really just avoid anything that the directions say are not suitable for wet areas.

edwinn
24th March 2006, 03:14 PM
mic-d,
cromleins is ok brand?
thanx

silentC
24th March 2006, 03:56 PM
Don't you want a fall to your floor waste? If you put your tiles in level, any water on the floor will just sit there. My kids throw water all over the place when they're in the bath.