PDA

View Full Version : dust extraction

Gregk
3rd November 2001, 12:56 PM
can someone out there give me some advice please. i recently saw a JET air filtration unit which was ssupended from a ceiling. my wife wants to buy it for me for my birthday - does anyone have any experience with this system. the fact of being able to suspend it from the ceiling attracts me to it for the floor saving factor.

thanks for you assistance

greg

John Saxton
4th November 2001, 01:22 PM
Hi Greg,yep got one of these and they are good in that they are capable of removing dust particles up to 5 microns or better.
The dust that is particularly harmful to your health is the dust you cannot see and is usually suspended in the air so thats where this type of dust removal is good.
Where they differetiate from the floor types is that they will as I said remove only small particles as opposed to the floor type.
They have 3 speed as well as a 3timer funtion and are cumbersome to mount to the ceiling.
They have two washable filters that need regular washing to enable the unit to function to it's best.
Overall I think they are good value and compliments any heavier dust extraction units.
After all what price does one put on health and in that regard they should be considered seriously.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

[This message has been edited by John Saxton (edited 04 November 2001).]

Gregk
4th November 2001, 02:28 PM
thanks johnno - looks like my birthday present will be ordered tomorrow morning..

greg kemp

Badger
6th November 2001, 08:52 PM
Before I retired I was chatting with one of our cabinet makers at work about my plans to do more woodworking in my spare time and he made me promise to buy a good filter unit. His advice was to buy a Microclene unit.

Can anyone advise which unit is best – I note that the Microclene is advertised as an Australian product.

------------------
Badger - A gruff short tempered animal that sleeps most of the winter

ubeaut
7th November 2001, 02:41 AM
Microclene most certainly is not an Australian product. There is an Australian agent who is based in Tasmania, but unless he got extremely rich, purchased the company and then moved the whole shootin' match to Australia, it aint Australian.

There are equally as good units now on the market in Australia at a much lesser price than that the Microclene and the Jet. Look around. Check out Carba-Tec & Timbecon.

I am sure that there is even one that goes on top of your dust extractor to filter out the super fine particals as well as the other stuff.

Hope this helps a little and doesn't just confuse the issue.

Cheers - Neil

John Saxton
7th November 2001, 09:31 PM
As I recall Microclene was an expensive option to consider but I think they were first on the market here in Oz,so that may have been a reflection of their marketing.
There have been previous posts regarding the Jet models which would probably enlighten.
I haven't seen the models Neil refers to as an extension to existing dust extractors but anything that doe's remove fine airborne particles is worth investigating in my book.

------------------
Johnno

rsser
3rd April 2002, 09:21 AM
The current Carba-Tec catalogue lists a 5 micron filter that will replace the top bag in a two-bag dust extractor.

Eastie
3rd April 2002, 11:34 AM
A word of warning -
Don't do away with a half face respirator (or air hood) for the following reasons.

1. Respirator = cheap 99.99% protection (hoods are a bit more of a burden on the wallet but are more comfortable and filters last longer)
Exhaust = expensive partial protection

2. Dust particles below 10 micron are of most concern. Larger particles follow the laws of gravity and generally don't travel deep into the lungs.

2. a proportion of dust generated from sanding and machining hardwood is smaller than 5 micron

3. a 5 micron particle can remain airborne for up to 30 minutes

4. dust is dangerous when in your breathing zone = 300 mm around your head.

5. incorrectly located or undersized ceiling mounted filters will not efficiently remove dust from your breathing zone (ie. from the area 300 mm around your head).

Although they are good, I don't rely solely upon an air filtration system. Use them in conjunction with local dust extraction and/or a good respirator.

[This message has been edited by Eastie (edited 03 April 2002).]

John Saxton
3rd April 2002, 08:45 PM
I ommitted to mention in my previous post that this unit has two filters the primary to 5 microns and the secondary reputed to 1 micron of particle absorption.

I have cleaned mine out a few times and I'm now glad I've got it installed after seeing what comes out of the filters.
Also in my previous post I mentioned washing the filters which is a NO-NO apparently all that is required is to blow them out with compressed air...if you don't have a compressor take 'em down to your local service station and use their air..after all it is a service station.

Even tho I use a FRacal helmet when sanding or turning ..it still surprises you of the amount of fine stuff hovering in the air space where you are mean't to breathe.
DONT TAKE ANY CHANCES WITH YOUR HEALTH
If you can can afford to do woodworking you should be able to afford your health guys?

ubeaut
3rd April 2002, 09:20 PM
Hope you're wearing a Racal or better when you blow the dust out of the bags. It's probably going to be worse than a week of ordinary sanding.

Tim the Timber Turner
4th April 2002, 09:57 AM
I had a Microclean but got rid of it. Problem
was although it trapped lots of dust in the filter, the fan blew the remaining dust all around the workshop. The exit speed of the air leaving the fan was much too fast. The whole workshop was covered in a fine film of dust.

I now have a couple of 12" Expelair fans in the wall these keep the air (and dust) moving in one direction.

I think the Jet filters would be better as you could position them to move the air in one direction and also control the fanspeed.

JackoH
4th April 2002, 12:25 PM
As I see it,the very fine dust has to go past your nose to get to whatever whizz-bang filter machine you hang up in the shed. I have a Carbatec 1hp extractor which works quite well,but it's main attribute is to keep my shed reasonably dust free. I still use the Racal as well. As Neil says you need to shake out the collection bags whilst wearing your Racal,or at least outside,upwind in a strong breeze.
I have a strang feeling of deja-vue. Hav'nt we been through all this before. Suggest newer members check back through the archives.
Regards John H... http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/confused.gif

Baz
5th April 2002, 10:06 PM
I have a microclene, does a great job but now cannot get replacement filters, according to the agent in Tassie they are in the mail, have been for the past 8 months. Bought a Jet and am happy with it.
Cheers
barry

ronin99
20th April 2002, 05:12 AM
from memory when i was involved with the construction industry,when we used the bandsaws for cutting insulation boards.the jet extraction system did a fine job of collecting the fine particulates.
now that im in the making of melamine boards,our lab uses the jet extraction as well,on their saw.bit tinny though......