PDA

View Full Version : LP v HPLV guns

greenie512
21st March 2006, 07:56 PM
Okay, it’s time to “blood” myself – I’ve had the Trade Tools 3hp compressor kit sat in the corner for 4 months. I’ve just finished some simple MDF office storage units for my sister-in-law so no excuse but to spray paint them.
<o></o>
Now I’ve never used this kinda gear before, so which gun would you recommend: - <o></o>
Low pressure
HPLV<o></o>I’ll be happy with an “average” good finish as my first attempt. The units will get buried under a pile of paper/folders and dust in no time.

I know there’s loads of advice out on the net and here – I’ve just looking for some quick/short hints.

Greg Q
21st March 2006, 08:10 PM
I have used an old style high pressure gun, but own a hvlp gun now.

The hvlp is much cleaner-overspray reduced drastically, and I can use it in my worshop after draping some tarps up behind/beside the target. One caveat-I have a "15 CFM" compressor, but it actually produces approx 11 cfm free air. Most hvlp guns need around that much to work properly. Certainly they need more flow than a high presure gun.

The hvlp gun lofts the product onto the workpiece, more like a mist than the blast of air/paint the high pressure guns produce. There is a learning curve, but most of it is self-evident.

I hope that this helps

greg

greenie512
21st March 2006, 08:15 PM
Hi Greg, hope the games aren't getting in your way in Melbourne. My compressor turns out 280 Litre per minute - what ever that equates at cfm!

see - http://www.tradetools.com.au/ProdView.aspx?popup=1&Category=SXF01&Product=RP15E

Cheers - Phil

Greg Q
21st March 2006, 09:11 PM
I just checked mine-its 380 litres nominal, but 241 litres free-air delivery.

I bought my hvlp gun on eBay for $65.00-its been great so far (total of maybe :45 minutes usage). There was a thread a few months back about this, but I can't recall the recommendations.

I'm ignoring the games, and they are ignoring me, so everybody's happy.;)

greenie512
21st March 2006, 10:39 PM
I'm ignoring the games, and they are ignoring me, so everybody's happy.;)
Shed dweller :cool::cool::cool:

Greg Q
21st March 2006, 10:49 PM
I have been in the shed for the past three days, was away working for the fortnight or so before that, so in this case, ignorance is in fact bliss;)

greenie512
22nd March 2006, 12:35 PM
Well, I started off with the HPLV gun for the undercoat but stopped after the first panel and moved over to the LP gun just to get the volume on quick. Will leave job (why do it all in one go :rolleyes:)and on Firday sand down lightly before I go back to the HPLV gun to apply the finish.

Trouble is these are 600mm or deeper units with 380mm max high shelving so its a bit of a bu**er to get the gun in and do the centre parts.