PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc chuck dimensions????

TTIT
22nd March 2006, 12:54 AM
I've Googled and hunted all over but can't find the measurements of the jaw mounts of my VM100 chuck. I want to make some special jaws for it but need the precise diameters of the locating groove etc. ???:confused: Anyone know where I can find them:confused:??? I somehow stumbled onto the Teknatool chuck plans but they don't fit the Vicmarc.

OR

Does anyone know how to accurately measure it all up - eg: how do you know when the 4 arcs are positioned in a perfect circle?

rsser
22nd March 2006, 07:20 AM
Perfect circle when closed I think.

Ring Vicmarc - they're in Clontarf, Qld. from memory.

TTIT
22nd March 2006, 09:18 AM
Perfect circle when closed I think.

Wish it was that easy Ern but the circle is somewhere up from closed!

Outsider
22nd March 2006, 12:39 PM
To Check Measurement the measurements on the end of the arcs and centre of the Arcs must be the same.

That is measure from centre of one arc to centre of another if the jaws are at the circular point then measuring from the end of one arc to the end of the opposite one will be the same.

Hope this is clearer than mud

Brian
Creator of fine Sawdust

TTIT
22nd March 2006, 02:44 PM
To Check Measurement the measurements on the end of the arcs and centre of the Arcs must be the same.

That is measure from centre of one arc to centre of another if the jaws are at the circular point then measuring from the end of one arc to the end of the opposite one will be the same.

Hope this is clearer than mud

Brian
Creator of fine Sawdust

Spot on Brian - thanks.:) As always - so simple when you think about it.;) Wound it down until the measurements were the same (or as close as my verniers would go) and then measured the hole in the middle of the jaws - pretty close to 8mm. Assuming Mr Vicmarc would use a common sized drill, I clamped on to a piece of 8mm shaft and viola! - perfect circle (or as close as anything in my shed ever gets!) Should be all downhill from here.:D

rsser
22nd March 2006, 04:07 PM
Sorry TTIT.

I should stick to what I'm good at, and as I go I'm finding memory doesn't serve as well as it used to!

But your prob stuck with me and while riding to work I wondered about it. Clearly a waste of time since you now have the method and the means, but if it had been me I'd put black Texta or the like in the groove of the jaw carriers once centered, place the chuck on a photocopier and print out a template. Expect this might work for an MDF chuck but prob not accurate enough for medium tensile steel.

Tomorrow I'll concentrate on homicidal drivers rather than woodturning :rolleyes: