PDA

View Full Version : NiCad / NiMH Battery Repacking

Stuart
22nd March 2006, 11:33 AM
Wondering if anyone knows a good place to get this done in Melbourne?

(No, it is not for a drill etc, so buying a new one as a cheap alternative is not an option!)

chrisp
22nd March 2006, 11:52 AM
Stuart,

Try calling:

Batterymaster
Murrumbeena Fcty 32/ 993 North Rd 3163
(03) 9563 8460

Chris

bitingmidge
22nd March 2006, 11:53 AM
I know... here we go again!!
Surely it can't be impossible to buy the batteries and solder them together?

Just where do they come from though?

P:confused:

Stuart
22nd March 2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks Chris - Yellow pages failed me :)

It wasn't for me, otherwise I would have already done the soldering iron thing! Just knew someone on the board would know someone!

(I also tried searching, but all the threads I found were related to self repacking!) (Now that sounds very Freudian!!)

bennylaird
22nd March 2006, 12:35 PM
General note:

Before you pick up an iron be sure to educate yourself on the dangers of these batteries.

ratchet
22nd March 2006, 02:58 PM
I would also like to know of a Sydney battery repacker , preferably arround Parramatta

tried the yellow pages etc

Auld Bassoon
22nd March 2006, 06:06 PM
General note:

Before you pick up an iron be sure to educate yourself on the dangers of these batteries.

Such as?

ozwinner
22nd March 2006, 06:45 PM
Such as?

Dont solder yourself to the chair.
Dont solder your cat, cats have long memories.
Dont solder while in the shower..
If you solder and drive, youre a bloody idiot.

Al :p

ss_11000
22nd March 2006, 10:30 PM
Dont solder yourself to the chair.
Dont solder your cat, cats have long memories.
Dont solder while in the shower..
If you solder and drive, youre a bloody idiot.

Al :p

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ps. can they book u for that?:p

Barry_White
22nd March 2006, 10:30 PM
I have just had a laptop battery repacked by Battery World. A franchise in NSW, don't know if they are in Vic.

A new one would have cost me $280.00 and the repacked one has cost me $199.00. and the they have informed me that the repacked one has a higher Amp Hour rating and will hold a charge longer.

I pick it up on Friday will report on it when I have used it for a while.

boban
22nd March 2006, 11:00 PM
I would also like to know of a Sydney battery repacker , preferably arround Parramatta

tried the yellow pages etc

Accupak in Dural. Very reasonable pricing and good cells.

Chris Parks
23rd March 2006, 12:28 AM
I believe the terminals are welded onto the batteries due to soldering causing heat soak in the battery and affecting the internals. I cannot vouch for this it is something I read recently in one of the RC forums IIRC. As said earlier do it at your own risk. LiPos should be avoided at all costs, these things are bombs waiting to go off.

Ian007
23rd March 2006, 01:05 AM
ps. can they book u for that?:p

Mate this kid has soooo much to learn.

Ian

I wonder how far astray we can lead him ( cue manical laughter now)

bennylaird
23rd March 2006, 07:14 AM
Such as?

The main area to be concerned with is not so much the soldering etc it's more the cells used and the care taken to aviod shorts from occuring. The charging of these cells is where the danger lies. Any overcharging of a cell can result in 800 deg or more incendaries. Just be sure to read the safety warinings for each type of cell.

Have some nice pics of a burnt out 4wd that was charging cells via the cig lighter on the way to the flying field. Some now only charge in a fire proof charging area. ie bricks with a plastic bag of sand over the top. Cell explodes, plastic burns, sand smothers the flames etc.

bennylaird
23rd March 2006, 07:21 AM
LITHIUM BATTERY SAFETY SHEET

Please be sure to read and follow these instructions carefully.
Safety in using Polymer cells or assemblies is your first priority.
If you cannot comply with the safe handling of Polymer cells or assemblies then do not use them.
If you do not understand the characteristics of Polymer cells or assemblies then do not use them.

Safe Charging
Lithium Polymer cells have very strict charging requirements.
Always charge Lithium Polymer cells or packs with recommended charger or great damage may occur.
Always use chargers specifically approved for Lithium Polymer cells or packs.
Always test your charger to assure it is functioning properly.
Always charge your Lithium Polymer cells or packs outdoors and in a fire proof container.
Always store Lithium Polymer cells or packs in a fire proof container.
Always have sand or dry fire extinguisher handy in the event of fire.
Always keep any battery out of the reach of children.
Always handle Lithium Polymer cells and packs with great care.
Always purchase a factory authorized built pack instead of building your own.
Always observe the correct polarity when connecting cells or packs to charger or application.
Always seek medical attention if electrolyte gets in your eyes (flush with cold water immediately).
Always scrub with soap and water if electrolyte comes in contact with your skin.

Never charge Lithium Polymer cells or packs unattended.
Never charge Lithium Polymer beyond factory specifications and is strictly prohibited.
Never charge Lithium Polymer in your car, home or garage or where other physical damage can occur.
Never charge Lithium Polymer while in the application as the hot pack may ignite certain materials.
Never charge Lithium Polymer on flammable materials such as wood, foam or plastic.
Never extinguish a Lithium Polymer fire with water.
Never disassemble a Lithium Polymer cell or pack
Never short circuit Lithium Polymer cells or packs.
Never use a Lithium Polymer cell or pack that has been damaged
Never put loose cells with uncovered terminals in your pocket, purse, bag, desk drawer, etc.
Never keep cells or packs in temperatures that exceed 60C/140F.
Never exceed the factories maximum allowed discharge rates.
Never combine different cell sizes or capacities together in the same pack

Damaged cells or packs
In the event your cells or packs were involved in a crash.....
Totally inspect the cells, wire leads and connections for possible short circuit.
If there is any doubt completely cut all wires from the cells and pack.
If any cells are dented or deformed do not use the pack again ever.
Follow disposal notes below.

Disposal of cells or packs
Discharge all cells individually to recommended cut-off voltage of 3.0 volts per cell.
Caution!! Cells may be warm or hot as usual during this discharge process.
After cooling, puncture small hole in cells and immerse in salt water for several hours.
Apply tape over one terminal and dispose of in trash.

Follow all safety directions to prevent accidents or damage to persons or property.

bennylaird
23rd March 2006, 07:29 AM
The above was borrowed from an online site but good reading. The fact that Nicad and Nimh batteries are not as dangerous as Lithium is not the point as some consider batteries to be batteries hence my desire to help awareness.

When soldering nicad or nimh try to use the iron quick to heat the soldering point and dont apply excess heat as their is an internal plastic button that can melt. This can damage the cell but also prevent venting. Without venting cells can explode.

Exador
23rd March 2006, 07:47 AM
I have just had a laptop battery repacked by Battery World. A franchise in NSW, don't know if they are in Vic.

A new one would have cost me $280.00 and the repacked one has cost me $199.00. and the they have informed me that the repacked one has a higher Amp Hour rating and will hold a charge longer.

I pick it up on Friday will report on it when I have used it for a while.

I'd be interested to hear how you go. My own experience with Battery World wasn't positive. I had a couple of Panasonic 15.6V 2.0 Ah packs redone and they claimed the cells were 2.2Ah rated and low internal resistance suitable for power tools. The packs never ran the drill for as long as the supposedly lower-rated cells and lasted only about 4 months each before a cell died. When I did a discharge test on the remaining (good) cells, not one came out at better than 1.5Ah. That was at a discharge rate of only 150mA, which should have got the maximum discharge out of them.

TANSTAAFL (there ain't no such thing as a free lunch).

Exador
23rd March 2006, 07:57 AM
The main area to be concerned with is not so much the soldering etc it's more the cells used and the care taken to aviod shorts from occuring. The charging of these cells is where the danger lies. Any overcharging of a cell can result in 800 deg or more incendaries. Just be sure to read the safety warinings for each type of cell.

Have some nice pics of a burnt out 4wd that was charging cells via the cig lighter on the way to the flying field. Some now only charge in a fire proof charging area. ie bricks with a plastic bag of sand over the top. Cell explodes, plastic burns, sand smothers the flames etc.

Many years ago I worked in a hobby shop when the craze for Tamiya RC cars was at its peak. I remember the day when a customer came in and bought his shiny new grasshopper or whatever it was, along with his resistance lead "fast" charger that was equipped with car battery clips. He was gone for about 20 minutes when we heard the fire brigade racing into the carpark under the centre. It turned out he'd run the battery flat and decided to charge it - off his Volvo, which apparently ran a positive earth :D. Battery 1, Volvo nil.

malcolm
23rd March 2006, 11:23 AM
This bloke seems to know what he is on about, fixed my favourite panasonic. If you look up online yellow pages you will also get a map.

Malcolm

BattPack
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/images/ico_f1.gif2/ 14 Toorak Warragul VIC 3820
ph: (03) 5623 6831 Batteries--Dry Cell & Rechargeable

ss_11000
23rd March 2006, 12:52 PM
Mate this kid has soooo much to learn.

Ian

I wonder how far astray we can lead him ( cue manical laughter now)

lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots andlots and lots and lots and lots and lots:D

czk
23rd March 2006, 02:07 PM
don't know of anyone doing repacking but I used to make my own packs for high powered torches (100-200W hallogen lamps) for cave diving and other nutso stuff like that. Also made our own chargers for them.

you can get most batteries from Farnell
www.farnellinone.com.au (http://www.farnellinone.com.au)

some also from
www.rsaustralia.com (http://www.rsaustralia.com)

Outsider
23rd March 2006, 02:19 PM
Premier Batteries are another supplier in Sydney

Cheers

Brian
Creator of Fine Sawdust

Mr Brush
23rd March 2006, 06:02 PM
The most disconcerting thing about soldering is that when you smell burning meat........its you !! :eek: :eek: :eek:

ozwinner
23rd March 2006, 06:08 PM
[Homer voice on]
Hmmmmmmm, burning meat.
[Homer voice/]

Al :)

Groggy
23rd March 2006, 06:35 PM
Posted previously: repacking and battery care (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=117711&postcount=7)