PDA

View Full Version : Eccentric Magnolia Goblet

Gil Jones
22nd March 2006, 01:05 PM
This is the first turning made on my new Eccentric Chuck Adapter. 95.25mm hi X 60.325mm wide (at the rim). Turned from green Magnolia, and finished with Watco oil. The Eccentric adapter is rather interesting to use; see it at this site >> http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/ecc

RufflyRustic
22nd March 2006, 01:27 PM
Geez, you wouldn't want to try reaching for that wine cup after a few (too many):D

Spectacular Gil!

Cheers
Wendy

Gil Jones
22nd March 2006, 03:01 PM
Nah, it's just a test run to see how the new tool works. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the kind words.
Cheers,

rsser
22nd March 2006, 04:13 PM
Geez, you wouldn't want to try reaching for that wine cup after a few (too many):D

Spectacular Gil!

Cheers
Wendy

Huh? You mean they don't all look like that??

Yep, good to push the boundaries. Nice work Gil. Any tips from the test?

ss_11000
22nd March 2006, 04:25 PM
i like it, well done

Gil Jones
23rd March 2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks, I know that the top is too big, and out of balance, but this is just a test piece (and it does stand up on its own). It was turned at 1,270 rpm, with green Magnolia from start to 'finish'. The exterior was done with a 3/8" Crown PM spindle gouge, and the cup interior was done with a 3/8" Crown PM bowl gouge with a fingernail grind, plus a 5/16" rounded scraper (made from an old carbon steel chisel). It helps to achieve the smoothest cut possible, as sanding can be very interesting. I will try for a very thin stem, but am not sure that it is possible to do with all the whipping around that is taking place as I move away from center. The Magnolia was soft, and kept comming loose on the wood screw. To fix that problem, I removed the wood, put some thick CA glue in the hole (and a bit on the wood screw), screwed the wood back on, and gave it 45 minutes to cure. After parting off the goblet I had to cut the spigot off the wood screw (and wire brush the glue residue off the screw) but who cares, it never came loose again. More later as I learn it.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd March 2006, 02:43 PM
Early on in my turning experience I thought I'd be smart and built an adjustable offset spindle to mount my scroll-chuck, 'cos I was too heavy-handed to use a woodworm screw. I quickly found out why all these offset doodads use the screws or independant jaws... a couple of pounds of solid metal whizzing around eccentrically tends to quickly destroy badly designed adapters, takes years off your life expectancy and creates unusual patterns in wall panelling. :rolleyes:

I'd never have thought of gluing the blank on like that, hope I remember the idea!