PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast lathe

exchalkie
23rd March 2006, 07:44 PM
G'day All
What do people think of the Woodfast M910 as advertised in the April Aust Woodworker?
Does anybody have something similar, or have used one?
I know it's @#$@* expensive, but as an investment I suppose my grandson can always take it over in a few years time.
Cheers
David

gpsmith
23rd March 2006, 07:55 PM
I also saw the article but I also know that Wolfenden in Airport West Victoria has a Durden Series 300 for sale at 30% off - he is closing the saleroom down next week I think. It is around the $2100 mark.
The durden has 1000mm between centres, 310mm swing over bed, and a swing through gap of 460 mm diameter x 130mm plus various other bits of data which I can give you if you wish to PM me - or get in touch with Wolfenden's. (I have no commercial interest in Wolfenden's - just live nearby!)
regards,

ss_11000
23rd March 2006, 08:56 PM
i would imagine the newer ones would be better than the ones at school and they're excellent to use.... see if you can use one before you buy it

Jim Carroll
24th March 2006, 07:28 AM
The woodfast lathe is a very well built lathe.
Only one problem is the shaft size 33x3.5mm, not standard for a lot of accessories and chucks.

lyctus
24th March 2006, 12:09 PM
Whilst it is nice to see a good old brand re-emerge and looking much the same as we used to see from this traditional old aussie, however it is, as Jim observes, a real pity they have chosen a non-standard thread type for the spindle. What is their thinking there I wonder. It will create another variable in the market. I would have thought 30 x 3.5mm was a standard worth adhereing to ! A pity too, that there is no revolutions per minute read out provided, nor reverse function, as is now pretty much standard for this level of lathe in the marketplace.
Also, why do Woodfast market Chinese built machines without acknowledging that they are chinese built ? The BS-350 bandsaw is obviously the same basic machine as the Metabo BAS 316/7, the Carba-Tec BAS-350 which are made in China,so why not indicate that the machine is not made in S.A. and simply say "it meets our high standards" or something like that. I get tired of having to 'interrogate' suppliers to have them eventually agree that 'yes, it is imported from "Asia" ' Nothing wrong in my opinion with something that is well made in China. Just admit it and tell us it has been imported to give us [the customer] an affordable quality machine!!
Having said all that, I wish this aussie company good luck in their reprise.

exchalkie
24th March 2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks for that, Iyctus - looks as though I won't be buying a Woodfast.
What about Vicmark? Are they Australian made? Do they have 30x3.5 threads? Are they reversable?
Cheers
David

Fossil
24th March 2006, 12:49 PM
Here is a nice woodfast lathe.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8269720129&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
It is variable speed as well. Reverse switch can be added easily if a new $125.00 motor is installed.

lyctus
24th March 2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks for that, Iyctus - looks as though I won't be buying a Woodfast.
What about Vicmark? Are they Australian made? Do they have 30x3.5 threads? Are they reversable?
Cheers
David

Vicmarc do have 30 x 3.5mm spindle thread and I think the current model does have Fwd/Rev. Certainly they do have a speed readout. Fairly keenly priced too I think.

skot
24th March 2006, 08:58 PM
exchalkie,

Vicmarc are Aussie made. Their factory in at Clontarf...just north of Brisbane

Simon-UK
25th March 2006, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure if this helps or is even relevant but M33 x 3.5 is the standard for all 'serious' lathes here in UK and most of europe I think. I have just bought a Vic 300 and it comes with the M33 x 3.5 spindle thread in its UK trim. Vicmarc obviously also sell their chucks, faceplates etc with the matching thread and I believe are all made in Aus and imported along with the lathes so I am sure a call to the factory will get you the parts if required even if they chose to supply their domestic market with an alternative size.

Good luck!

Jim Carroll
25th March 2006, 09:06 AM
Simon you are correct in saying that the European market uses the Metric 33 x 3.5mm thread and the american market prefer the Imperial threads that is why the DVRXP was made 1"1/4 x 8 . Here in Aus the norm is 30 x 3.5mm.

I have the feeling that Woodfast in there wisdom are chasing more sales in the European market than they are Down Under. I dont think the american market will take to the metric thread as they tend to steer away from metrification.

All chuck manufacturers make chucks that will fit the 33x3.5 thread.
Teknatool have a dedicated thread chuck and Vicmarc have an insert version.

The idea of going to a 33mm shaft has merits as you have a stonger shaft so it will handle heavier loads but you still have to look at each market and supply accordingly.

lyctus
3rd April 2006, 08:52 PM
I previously posted regarding honesty in marketing, particularly acknowledging that if something is made in China, and you have put your name on it then be prepared to say where it is made and don't go out of your way to make out that it is made in Australia. I have sniffed around a bit and the new 'Woodfast' lathe is actually manufactured in China. OK, if it is as good as they claim, so what, but most of us associate the name 'Woodfast' with quality end aussie engineering. I think there should be some statement that, yes, we at Woodfast are marketing this imported machine, and we think it is brilliant value for money and we have badged it as if it is made in oz. I think someone who shells out $3,500 for a lathe should at least be informed that it is not home grown. My previous comments about Fwd/Rev and digi readouts and non-standard [for australia] threads still stand.