PDA

View Full Version : Another Segmented Turning Question

Donnie
25th March 2006, 04:45 AM
Has anyone tried to use a "Birds Mouth" router bit to create a segmented blank for turning. Lee Valley Tools has an instruction sheet on this bit that gives all the necessary specs for creating varies angles for different number of sides. Check out these bits at http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=45160&cat=1,46168
If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you will find a link to the instruction sheet ("Instr").

This sound too good to be true...please give me your thoughts before I do something stupid (like create a fly-apart-wood-bomb).

Donnie

CanFly
25th March 2006, 06:11 AM
Can't see why that wouldn't work, there's plenty of wood for the glue to hold onto. Go ahead and give it a try.

R

Lance Stunning
25th March 2006, 06:48 AM
Yes, I have the 6/12 sided bit. It does work. It cuts a corner into the edge of the segment. Using the corner you butt the next section (a straight edge) up against. The joint is very strong. So far so good but...when turning one will cut from one side of the corner to the other if shaping an arc. It's fine if you are making straight lines, but the glue joint can get a bit strange. Especially, if one has the slightest gap in fitting. Finicky, but usable.

dai sensei
25th March 2006, 08:29 AM
Can't see why it wouldn't work.

If you like thin walled vessels however, you end up with the same problem as normal joints, very little glued wall that can have the tendency to come apart .

Wooden Goodies
25th March 2006, 10:18 PM
I would have to agree that the glue line would get funny when doing an arc.Looks like a good joint but also if you get too thin then there is not much of a joint left.
Dana