26th March 2006, 03:18 PM
1. A lathe.
2. Some tools
3. A grinder mechanism.
4. Some imagination
5. Pepper.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th March 2006, 03:56 PM
The basic blank for an 8" pepper-mill is around 8.1/2" x 2.1/2" (assuming reasonable turning skills.) So, apart from the lathe you need a chuck/jaws capable of holding the blank while working without tailstock support.

For the Cole & Mason kits I use, the body should have a hollow bore of around 3/4"-7/8" , the mechanism fits in a rebate of 15/16" dia and is mounted in another, smaller rebate of 1.1/2" At the other end, the "cap," the shaft protrudes through a smalll hole of 1/4". Exact dimensions depend on the kit in use. BTW, the 3/4" bore can be widened further up the body, but you need that thickness of the wood in the bottom inch or so of the mill to safely hold the screws for mounting the mech.

At the least I'd recommend a long-bore forstner/sawtooh bit to hollow out the body and a 1/4" drill for the cap. Other forstners could be used to cut the rebates, I prefer a more usual turning method: a square scraper.

If you want more detailed step-by-step instructions, that's what these forums are for. ;)

Donnie
26th March 2006, 09:43 PM
Mr Freez:

Lee Valley (Canada) sells pepper mill mechanisms and they have a great instruction sheet to go with it. Go to http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=46450&cat=1,330,43243,50237&ap=1, scroll down the page and click on "Inst" (Instructions).

:rolleyes: Speaking of pepper...a French guest who was staying in a hotel in Edmonton phoned room service for some pepper. "Black pepper, or white pepper?" asked the concierge.
"Toilette pepper!"

Donnie

MR.FREEZ
29th March 2006, 05:43 AM
The basic blank for an 8" pepper-mill is around 8.1/2" x 2.1/2" (assuming reasonable turning skills.) So, apart from the lathe you need a chuck/jaws capable of holding the blank while working without tailstock support.

For the Cole & Mason kits I use, the body should have a hollow bore of around 3/4"-7/8" , the mechanism fits in a rebate of 15/16" dia and is mounted in another, smaller rebate of 1.1/2" At the other end, the "cap," the shaft protrudes through a smalll hole of 1/4". Exact dimensions depend on the kit in use. BTW, the 3/4" bore can be widened further up the body, but you need that thickness of the wood in the bottom inch or so of the mill to safely hold the screws for mounting the mech.

At the least I'd recommend a long-bore forstner/sawtooh bit to hollow out the body and a 1/4" drill for the cap. Other forstners could be used to cut the rebates, I prefer a more usual turning method: a square scraper.

If you want more detailed step-by-step instructions, that's what these forums are for. ;)

thanks man, i just wanted to make sure i knew what boring bits i needed:D

rsser
29th March 2006, 11:32 AM
thanks man, i just wanted to make sure i knew what boring bits i needed:D

In the case of toilette pepper it seems just a finger ;)