PDA

View Full Version : Wood I.D. Needed

Dean
27th March 2006, 05:50 PM
Hey all,

Here's another wood I.D. challenge (eventually to be submitted to Darryl's wood database too once we can identify it).

Just cut this up today. The log has been sitting in the shed for a few years.

Photos shows a piece with all bark off, and another with a bit of the bark left on. Note the growth rings and shape of the trunk.
This wood (when it was "green" at least) oozed a nice bright yellow sap... almost flouresecent in bright sunlight when it was first cut. A good clue perhaps. The wood itself has a slightly yellow-cream color too.

The second photo shows a piece cut on the same trunk sliced on the bandsaw.

Any ideas?

http://www.net-reviews.com/unknownwood1.jpg

http://www.net-reviews.com/unknownwood2.jpg

8ball
27th March 2006, 07:28 PM
if you were in the us id say it was shaggy bark hickory

Ianab
27th March 2006, 08:17 PM
I'll take a guess. Leyland cypress.

The heartwood / sapwood are both light, the trunk is not particularly round and the bark looks right.

If the wood is lightweight (like pine) but has little smell thats my guess, especially if it's a salvaged urban tree.

If it smells really strongly of ginger then maybe Lawson cypress, but you would notice that when you bandsawed it.

Cheers

Ian

Dean
27th March 2006, 08:35 PM
Hmm could be... it is relatively light, has no real smell... a possibility indeed :)
Open to other suggestions while I research cypress a little more.

AlexS
27th March 2006, 08:57 PM
Pic 2 looks just like some coachwood I have, but I don't know what the bark of coachwood looks like. The caramel smell would be a dead giveaway if it is coachwood.

Dean
27th March 2006, 09:10 PM
Not coachwood. Coachwood bark is relatively smooth and grey in color. No caramel smell either... No smell at all really... If it smelt like caramel, I'd probably eat it :D :D

glock40sw
27th March 2006, 09:52 PM
Crab apple or Yellow bean
Bloody hard to tell them apart.
I have a kiln charge full of it at the moment.
Been air drying for 3 years. A few days in the kiln to top it off.

Will probably DAR it and stash it away future reference.