PDA

View Full Version : Incra Problem, need a little help.

Crowdedbasement
28th March 2006, 01:53 AM
I picked up the Incra LS router system this weekend here in Northern VA at an Expo. I have set up the system at hat appears properly(checked several times) and have tried it out several times.

I am having trouble with my Tail board cuts. The pin board come out fine(or at least by laying my steel ruler against it to measure out the pins.) but my tails are all about 1/16 too large. Thus my tail board will not plug in. It is all close, but definetly not close enouth to even be called a snug fit.

this in the half blind dove tail page 6,7 of the reference guide. (3/4 inch stock with jig/strip no. 30)

My center are on and the depth is correct, but I still end up with dove tails too big for the pin board.

Thank you much

James

Al Burdon
31st March 2006, 08:20 PM
I have had the same problem and was unable to get it to fit.
If I remember correctly I used template 29 (DOVR) and its settings.
and it all worked as laid out in the book.
I think the number 30 template is the problem (maybe an error)
I maybe wrong so I anyone has another solution I would like to Know as well

doug the slug
31st March 2006, 10:37 PM
I maybe wrong so I anyone has another solution I would like to Know as well

get a woodrat:D :D :D :D :D :D

rrich
15th April 2006, 04:09 PM
There is a procedure to set the dovetail bit height. Basically cut two tails each on two separate pieces of scrap. Use the Incra to position the stock based upon the template per bit size. It is best to start off with the bit too high.

After making the cuts, lat the scrap flat and fit them together. Measure the gap where the dove tails don't fit. Lower the router bit exactly the amount measured. Your next cuts should be perfectly on.

BTW - This works with almost any type of dove tail jig/system.

JaD
2nd May 2006, 11:14 PM
Hi Crowded, Welcome.....:)

Are you using a metric sized cutter or imperial.????......Most of my cutters were metric when I bought my Incra (what a great Jiggy Jig:D ) and soon found out they wouldn't work with the templates supplied, so I had to buy metric templates:mad:
This little difference can be the problem:rolleyes: maybe...

If not, I agree with Rich...go back to the fine tune set-up..manually....
Can't really be anything else......

Jon

rrich
22nd May 2006, 01:42 PM
Jon,
If the positioning mechansim of the Incra is imperial, I'm at a loss to understand how the metric templates help? The imperial is 1/32 of an inch which is a bit less than 1mm (or ~ 1/25 inch). Didn't you need to change out the Incra positioning system also?

JaD
22nd May 2006, 04:19 PM
:o :rolleyes:
Sorry Rich, I should have added that as well....Yes you are right. We here in OZ can buy the metric racks to suit the metric templates from Carbetec, to suit the metric bits......
There I go again, presuming everyone else knows what I'm talking about...;)
I should realise that I'm the only one who doesn't know what I'm talkin about:rolleyes: :o