PDA

View Full Version : Trend Airshield

ticklingmedusa
28th March 2006, 08:04 AM
I ordered mine online Thursday and it got here today.
$239.00
Golden State sales tax $17.33 (bastards)
UPS ground $9.50
total: $265.83 U.S. Dollars (ouch!)
envirosafetyproducts.com
I do all of my turning from a sitting position,
so I'm breathing close to the toolrest.
I know it will be worth it.
I'm so used to the tight fit of my mask type I'm
having a hard time believing I can trust the fit.
I'm charging batteries overnight and plan on giving it a test wheeze tomorrow.
cough, gag, spew
tm

CameronPotter
28th March 2006, 08:59 AM
I have the Triton Powered Respirator and it is awesome. Makes a BIG difference to the amount of rubbish in your lungs after a session of turning - especially sanding!

Cam

Sculptured Box
28th March 2006, 11:50 AM
I have the Triton Powered Respirator and it is awesome. Makes a BIG difference to the amount of rubbish in your lungs after a session of turning - especially sanding!

Cam
I am a Triton Respirator, fan as well, infact it's more than a respirator!

Tony Ward
www.tonyward.org (http://www.tonyward.org)

lyctus
28th March 2006, 01:14 PM
tm I think you'll find the positive airflow through the Trend filters will reduce dependency on absolute tight fit of the respirator. The Trend Airshield is a great respirator and has significant advantages in my book over other respirators I have seen/used. Might cost a bit more, but worth it I reckon.

Gumby
28th March 2006, 01:34 PM
I had to grind a bit of concrete the other day with a Makita grinder and a diamomd cutter. The dust was unbelievable. If it wasn't for the Triton respirator, you'd be posting bereavement notices for me by now. :eek:

ticklingmedusa
28th March 2006, 01:39 PM
For me it was a tossup between the Triton and the Trend.
I didn't want the blower unit hip pack on the Triton because i figured the tubing would get in the way. Instead I opted for the pain in the neck model from Triton.
At least I won't be coughing up a lung anytime soon.

Nuggett
28th March 2006, 03:41 PM
I got both. I bought the triton after the filters got too expensive. Also with the soft shield I feel the triton protects you more from flying wood My trend is looking rather worse for wear I notice several crack in the grey plastic which I can only imagined happened because of continually pushing the shield up & down. The face cover is on its way out- I bought this from the wood show three years ago, I would have thought it would have lasted longer ?
The Triton is cheaper all round, but the only two complaints I have are that in summer in QLd I can't wear for to long as it gets very hot, a stronger air flow would be better - Also don't eat a curry the night before you go in the shed, as the filter is on your waist if you Fart it'll suck it straight up and into your helmet**

Captain Chaos
28th March 2006, 10:45 PM
"Also don't eat a curry the night before you go in the shed, as the filter is on your waist if you Fart it'll suck it straight up and into your helmet**"

Thanks Nugget, I really needed to know that! Greenie on the way, for sacrifices above & beyond the call of duty whilst testing air respirators for wood turning - as soon as I can control my laughter.
Regards,
Barry.

ticklingmedusa
29th March 2006, 09:15 PM
[quote=Captain Chaos]"Also don't eat a curry the night before you go in the shed, as the filter is on your waist if you Fart it'll suck it straight up and into your helmet**"

Thanks Nugget, I really needed to know that! Greenie on the way, for sacrifices above & beyond the call of duty whilst testing air respirators for wood turning - as soon as I can control my laughter.
Regards,
Barry.[/quote

You guys are killin' me.
Nugget maybe you could add some extra intake tubing and
get that thing out of the danger zone!
Tonight I sanded a 9 inch Cocobolo semi closed vessel and threw clouds of dust into the air.
Even with my old cartridge mask on tight, I would sneeze until I dislodged whatever microparticle I was unlucky enough to inhale along with a bucket of technicolor snot. I would sneeze until I thought I'd lost gray matter. Anyway, this evening I worked through the grits without incident.
The battery pack outlasted me...
must have run about 6 hours on an overnight charge.
I can see the need for a spare powerpack & the shield overlays,
so thats on my next order.
Thanks again for all the input.
tm

Don Nethercott
29th March 2006, 10:04 PM
Somewhere on this site are the instructions for making your own battery pack for a Trend. Parts cost about A$20 and the pack lasts 3 times as long as the original pack.

Regards
Don

Don Nethercott
29th March 2006, 10:11 PM
Not sure how to make a link so here is the text submitted by BrianR (I searched for Battery Blues - go to post 18)

I shared your battery blues as the Trend and the Purlite are the same thing with different badges as far as I can tell, and I have a Purelite. Around $97 for a spare 4 hour battery is robbery. I now make my own 10 hour batteries for about $16 and 1 hrs work. (It's takes an hour cause I'm lazy).

Here's the parts list, all available from JAYCAR Electronics who have offices all over.
1800-022-888.

3 x AA rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride cells with solder tabs. These have a capacity of 1650 mAH which is more than 3x the capacity of the 450 mAH cells supplied with the helmets. JAYCAR Stock No SB1702 @ $4.75 each.

1 x 2.5mm Power plug, JAYCAR Stock No PP-0510 @ $1.55.

Here are the connection details, written for non electrical woodworkers. Please excuse me if you have been electrified.

Wire the 3 cells in series, ie. cell #1 "+" terminal connects to cell #2 "-" terminal.
Cell #2 "+" connects to cell #3 "-" and so on.

Discard the plastic cover from the plug.
Connect the tag from the centre pin of the power plug to the free "+" terminal of the batteries.

Connect the terminal joined to the outer shell of the plug to the free "-" terminal.

I was able to tape the lot up so it looked just like the original pack and plugged into the helmet the same as the original.

You can use the charger supplied with the helmet but it will take 2 days to fully charge this larger capacity battery.

Otherwise make one to work off a car battery charger. This simple charger uses the principal that an incandescant globe draw a more or less constant current even with changing voltage so if you connect a 6 Watt 12V globe (car parking light globe) in the line from the RED "+" lead of the charger to the "+" lead of the battery pack, and connect the BLACK charger lead to the "-" on the battery you have a 5-7 hour charger for your new 10 hour battery.

The light will glow fairly brightly as the charge takes place.

Tool Man
29th March 2006, 11:42 PM
These resirators sound like the way to go,:) at the moment I am using disposable dust masks:eek: :o Can you post some pics for me and the place to pick one up from. Pro's and con's for the triton and the trend would be good too..:)

ticklingmedusa
30th March 2006, 08:03 AM
Don, thanks for the tip, I'll investigate.

Toolman, this is a US source, I dont know if they ship overseas.
You can email them & find out or better yet maybe message one of your countrymen.
i'm posting the link so you can have a look
tm
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/html/airshield.htm

Gil Jones
30th March 2006, 01:34 PM
I use the Trend AirShield, and it is a fine unit.

Jim Carroll
30th March 2006, 07:30 PM
Toolman we sell both units.
www.cws.au.com.

CameronPotter
31st March 2006, 08:46 AM
Toolman,

I haven't checked out Jim's Prices or anything, but when I was looking around earlier I thought that the Triton was cheaper and had parts that were more easily accessible. Furthermore, the power pack isn't on your head, but straps conveniently around your waist. At first I thought it might get in the way - yet I haven't even close to had a problem with it.

Great tool.

Cam

Tool Man
31st March 2006, 06:39 PM
thanks guys i"ll look into one.:)

Wood worrier
18th April 2006, 03:40 AM
The Trend is a cracking unit, but you need a sence of humour to buy it in UK at our prices.

DPB
18th April 2006, 09:47 AM
I have both the Triton Respirator and the Trend AirSheild, and I like both for different reasons, but overall the Triton comes out on top IMHO.

However, I have to admit that I find anything that straps to my head less than comfortable. So when it comes to turning, I am doing something different.

Last year I came across this UK site. http://tinyurl.com/klku7

This guy is thinking outside the square. His solution is within the grasp of anyone handy enough to call themselves a woodworker. I've been testing a temporary version of this for about six months now and find it works very well. I've yet to build the overhead fan unit, but in its place am using my shop air filter. It is close to the lathe, so I can direct the exhaust vents to blow over my shoulder and across the lathe so that the air-flow is blowing away from me and into the dust extractor unit mounted just below the axes of the lathe. Even when sanding on the lathe, I detect no dust coming my way and after a few hours of turning and sanding, am not left with that "stuffed up" feeling.:)

rsser
18th April 2006, 06:04 PM
Hey Medusa,

The Trend costs us $500 out here, and one of our bucks is worth 73 of your cents ... so it's a serious ouch.

That said, lungs can't be bought as a replacement item.

I think the filtered visor needs to be matched with a box type air filter or at least a vacuum source close to where the sanding dust is created. Those reduce the amount of work the Trend filters have to do.

ticklingmedusa
18th April 2006, 06:38 PM
Hey Medusa,

The Trend costs us $500 out here, and one of our bucks is worth 73 of your cents ... so it's a serious ouch.

That said, lungs can't be bought as a replacement item.

I think the filtered visor needs to be matched with a box type air filter or at least a vacuum source close to where the sanding dust is created. Those reduce the amount of work the Trend filters have to do.

I agree Ern,
even in Uncle Samuels dollars the purchase of a Trend will put the hurt upon most turners. I kept thinking about all the exotic timber or tools I could have bought with that money. In the long run I reckon using it will allow me more quality time at the toolrest without wheezing.
Just before I picked up the trendie I hooked up this dust hood to my shop vac.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10578&SearchHandle=DADBDBDJDADADDDGGGDJGDDIDDDBGFD
CCNDBGBGGDGCNDEDADGDJCNGBDIDFGDCNGDGFGBDBGCDHGFDDDAGDGFGEDADADADBDADADADBDFGMGBHEGIGFCAGEHFHDHECAGIGPGPGEDADADADEDADADADADADADADBDFDADADADBDADADADADADADADADADADADADBDADADADBDFGMGBHEGIGFCAGEHFHDHECAGIGPGPGEDADADADBDB&filter=lathe%20dust%20hood

With these changes in my shop I've noticed a lot less dust in the air
and fewer mdf deposits in my nose.
tm

DPB
18th April 2006, 06:45 PM
Just before I picked up the trendie I hooked up this dust hood to my shop vac.

With these changed in my shop I've noticed a lot less dust both in the air
and in my nose.
tm

But do you actually let the hinged flap ride on the work as you are turning?:D

ticklingmedusa
18th April 2006, 07:33 PM
Its mounted with t-track and t-bolts which make it adjustable.
When I'm sanding the flap goes down close to the piece but not
actually touching. :cool: