PDA

View Full Version : Aust Builder's Plate

Wood Butcher
29th March 2006, 11:14 AM
I just got this emailed through one of the Yahoo Groups I'm in. Thought that it might be of interest to all Boat Builders

The Australian building plate. It's featured in
the Australian Amateur Boat building magazine pg 64-65, #53 Mar/Apr
2006 , written by Ian Phillips. I quote "if your home built boat
needs to be registered (and in most cases, if it is possible to fit
an outboard motor, you will have to register it), you will need to
get a "competent person" as defined in the act to prepare the
figures so you can have a plate made up to affix to your boat."
This information includes:
1. The name of the person who has approved the info
2. Maximum engine power
3.Max number of persons and also expressed in Kg's
4. The maximum load the boat has been designed and tested to
carry underway.
5. A buoyancy statement
6. A mandatory warning statement that alterations may
invalidate the particulars on the ABP

And this is for a vessel under 6 meters
This is the link for more detailed info:
http://www.nmsc.gov.au/documents/FAQ-builders.pdf

bitingmidge
29th March 2006, 11:36 AM
Rowan.

Don't you just love the way they just spring new rules on you when you aren't watching? This one seems to be a bit of red tape gone mad though, by my reading of it there are more loopholes than one cares to count!

Which boats are required to have an ABP plate?
All boats are required to have an ABP plate with the exception of second
hand vessels; an amphibious vehicles; a canoe, kayak or surf ski or similar
vessel designed to be powered by paddle; a rowing shell used f or racing or
rowing training; a sailboard or sail kite; a surf row boat; a hydrofoil or
hovercraf t; a racing boat a sailing vessel, a submersible, an aquatic toy.
Other exceptions include vessels subject to a Certificate of Survey;
and Personal Water Craft (PWC) and Inf latable boats provided they
comply with other requirements.

I guess that leaves small motor boats as the only ones required to have a plate?

One of the people authorised to affix the plate is "the builder" and one of the qualifications that allows one to do so is "experience".........

Reminds me of when I tried to insure Gruff, I was firstly refused when asked who built the boat: "I did".

I then said I was a boat builder, and after an argument about whether a boat built at a boat builder's home was "home built" or not, I got my policy.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

P

Aberdeen
2nd April 2006, 10:44 PM
Hi Guys
Had a couple or so emails back and forth the other day with the powers to be in relation to this topic. At the end of the day it probably won't be a big issue...... If you go about things the right way you can even make your own Builder Plate !!!

Quote:

Just a couple of answers for you, and when you read and look through the boat building standard you will find all the answers to your questions, but first

1) check with the plan supplier they may very well give you all the statistics you need

2) if they don't, you need to decide which standard you will use to build your boat, my suggestion, and, it is only a suggestion is AS1799 or ISO 12217 or ABYC the later can be down loaded free almost verbatim from the USCG web page [it does take some searching to find it though] either of the other two can be purchased from SAI Global over the internet, or to avoid costs try your local library they may order it in for you if its not on the shelf.

3) yes, armed with the relevant information, you can legally supply the information to yourself as the builder and effectively authorise your own ABP, just on that point, you may see example plates on our web site www.nmsc.gov.au (http://www.nmsc.gov.au/) the ABP plate standard gives you minimum letter sizes ect but the shape or material that the plate is made out of is up to you, for example you made want to rout or carve it in an oval shape out of say rosewood, as long as it meets the viewing requirements and is visible from the helm.

4) yes, the ABP meetings and forums have been held all over Australia and each BIA state boatshow has had information available at that states safe boating stands [next South Aust 20 July 2006] there will also be forums connected with the Wooden Boat Association held in each state these dates will be advertised as they become available.

5) if you require additional floatation I would suggest a fuel resistant foam buoyancy company listed on our website, the product that they sell meets certain quality requirements to get listed on our site under the heading of Compliant Equipment.

hope this helps for now, please contact me later if you need further assistance.

Allan Tonks
Recreational Boating
National Marine Safety Committee

Boatmik
29th May 2008, 04:07 PM
Capacity can be a bit tricky - but Queensland has this little gem

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Capacity_labels/

chubs
9th February 2010, 12:05 PM
Looks like queenslanders dont need ABP's for owner-builder boats!!!

"32. I am an owner-builder am I required to affix an ABP?
Yes if they intend to sell the boat at any stage.
An ABP is required to be affixed to owner-builder boats if the boat is put up for sale. An ABP is not
required while the boat continues to be owned by the owner-builder."

http://msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/msqfiles/home/registration/australian-builders-plate/pdf_faqs_builders.pdf

Still, i'm in NSW. Fingers crossed it's similar here!