PDA

View Full Version : Box Rosewood Et al.

PhilMcCrackin
29th March 2006, 07:42 PM
This is my first veneered project using commercially purchased thin veneer. The squares are tas blackwood in basket weave pattern, outlined in silver ash and rosewood surround with silver ash keys. Small internal silver ash box is experiment gone wrong. The box was made too thick so I thought I would cut down. However in doing so exposed borer holes (must be sapwood). I thought I might show them off but doesnt really look right.

Flocking inside. I might yet completely cover inside with flocking ---> any ideas? or should I leave as is? Finish is sanding sealer, wipe on poly, EEE and refined wax.

I like the way the light reflects differently from the basket weave pattern. This is my last box until I start making more useful items.

MajorPanic
29th March 2006, 07:52 PM
Phil, mate.....

Gawd damm & bloody hell!!!

Outstanding work! http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

I'd flock the inside if I was you. ;) :D

Sculptured Box
29th March 2006, 08:38 PM
Given the amount of work you've put into making the box and the standard you have achieved I'd make a new insert tray. Why spoil your good work?

Tony Ward
www.tonyward

Wardy
29th March 2006, 09:43 PM
Great work Phil, I agree with Tony, go the extra yards and make the smaller box again. It will be worth the extra effort.
Cheers Wardy

Wongo
29th March 2006, 10:49 PM
Impressive work. One of the best I've seen.

DPB
30th March 2006, 09:10 AM
Phil, I'm very impressed! Does the tray have tapered sides? I wish I had done that for my recently posted small box with tapered sides. http://tinyurl.com/p5aa2 I could have inserted the tray from the underside before putting the bottom on the box. It would have been doable but tricky.:)

RufflyRustic
30th March 2006, 09:23 AM
Phil - Incredible work! The box looks totally awesome! I love the shaped tray.

Do you really have to stop making boxes for a while???:rolleyes:

cheers
Wendy

banksiaman
30th March 2006, 01:57 PM
Phil,

Very nice box. I like the basket weave treatment. Was this to show the grain direction or the light reflection in different directions. It's a bit hard to see in the pictures. As to the borer holes - ain't it the way - I've got a beautiful bit of very tightly quilted blackwood here, just big enough for a box top, except after planing and scraping, I've now got a row of holes along the middle. Didn't have to put money in the swear box did you? I did.
I would redo the tray, the fine lines at the top don't really match the thicker lines of the box.
Very nice box all the same.

Chris

Auld Bassoon
30th March 2006, 06:40 PM
Phil, great looking box.

Super work on the veneer, and I especially like the Ash stringing - provides a superb contrast.

Did you make your own stringing, and if so, how? Did you chamfer the material, press in, then plane smooth?

PhilMcCrackin
30th March 2006, 07:55 PM
Auld, this may be a little unconventional but it is not stringing in the sense of routing groove and putting in a strip "string". I prepared the rosewood sourround, to this I laminated on silver ash and thicknessed it to desired thickness, framed veneered piece, planed flush top and bottom to veneer then glued to top of mitred box. Hope you can follow explanation. Only plane used, no sanding to avoid dark going into light pores until two coats sanding sealer applied.

DPB, Yes the inside tray has tapered sides.

Thanks for advice from everyone, I am remaking inside tray and will post end result.

TTIT
31st March 2006, 04:27 PM
This is my last box until I start making more useful items.

Very nice box Phil - like it a lot. Since when has a box not been useful though!?!?!:confused:

Auld Bassoon
31st March 2006, 05:29 PM
Auld, this may be a little unconventional but it is not stringing in the sense of routing groove and putting in a strip "string". I prepared the rosewood sourround, to this I laminated on silver ash and thicknessed it to desired thickness, framed veneered piece, planed flush top and bottom to veneer then glued to top of mitred box. Hope you can follow explanation. Only plane used, no sanding to avoid dark going into light pores until two coats sanding sealer applied.

Thanks for the explanation Phil; that makes sense.

PhilMcCrackin
31st March 2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks for all the advice.......

I made a new tray and made tray runners all the way around the inside of the box and flocked up to the edge of these runners.

I hope you like the improvements. Finish on tray is shellac as I needed it done quick so i can give as a present tomorrow. "Mother-in-Law 75 birthday" - HAD TO BE JUST RIGHT!

McFly
1st April 2006, 09:10 PM
Nice work Phil.:cool:
I like the updated tray, it looks great. Hope the mother in law liked it.
McFly