PDA

View Full Version : Marquetry or inlay

DPerry
31st March 2006, 12:15 PM
Hello All,
Marquerty I think. This is my latest piece made of 881 parts 18 spieces of wood. It is my brother inlaws bike 36" X 24". Von Sydows 24" X 16" 460 parts 16 Spieces.
Look foward to seeing other pieces displayed here. The other post here of the butterflies is great!!!!!!

Thanks Dennis

dazzler
31st March 2006, 01:33 PM
Thats fantastic

I just finished this one;:D

cheers

dazzler

chrisb691
31st March 2006, 02:55 PM
Hello All,
Marquerty I think. This is my latest piece made of 881 parts 18 spieces of wood. It is my brother inlaws bike 36" X 24". Von Sydows 24" X 16" 460 parts 16 Spieces.
Look foward to seeing other pieces displayed here. The other post here of the butterflies is great!!!!!!

Thanks Dennis

Hi Dennis, and welcome aboard. That is spectacular work, and I would hope to be able to reach that standard one day. How long have you been doing marquetry?

AlexS
31st March 2006, 06:29 PM
Amazing work the pair of you - you obviously have way too much time on your hands.:rolleyes:

Wish I had your patience.

DPerry
3rd April 2006, 03:05 PM
Hello Chris,

Thank you for the complements, have been woodworking forever marquetry or this type of work not as long as yourself. Start to completion of the bike was 4 months, 3 1/2 months on the computer doing the drawings and 2 weeks cutting, assemble and finish. I think the results are do to my experience using AutoCad, Corel and other drawing programs. I use a laser to cut the parts. I going to assume your work is by hand if so I think you have marquetry woodworking talent, great job and as I said the piece looks great and I would have a place to display it in my house.

Thanks Dennis

Wild Dingo
16th April 2006, 03:48 AM
Damn that makes my efforts look pathetic!! :(

No seriously Ive only ever done this one peice but enjoyed it so much Im starting more... or I was till I saw that!! :eek: now Im not so sure thats some beautiful work mate :cool:

Okay aside from all that...

chrisb691
16th April 2006, 12:15 PM
Damn that makes my efforts look pathetic!! :(

No seriously Ive only ever done this one peice but enjoyed it so much Im starting more... or I was till I saw that!! :eek: now Im not so sure thats some beautiful work mate :cool:

Okay aside from all that...

I wish I had been able to do something this good on my first attempt!!! .....or second, or third, or .... Don't knock your work, it's beautifully done, and the use of grain is exceptional. Bloody nice work!!:D

Wild Dingo
25th April 2006, 11:32 AM
Okay revised word usage... remove "pathetic" and input something else which I cant think of right now :rolleyes: ;)

I dont know if what Ive done is on a par with that... is mine even marquetry? damned if I know but what I want to know is how to cut the ruddy stuff!! :mad: every time I go to cut a peice it snaps breaks or otherwise attempts to phiss me off in all efforts! Mind here Im usin a standley knife maybe thats it? But I cant see as how a saw of somesort (Ive had a go with the scroll saw but with the same result) wouldnt do the same thing?... the veneer is dry and very thin so of course it will breakout... Im thinkin of just moistening the veneer before I cut it maybe put some flex back into it would work?

The next peice Im doing is 4ft dia circle wall plaque... and I will need to get into more detail particularily with the ship... the Difkyn or however you spell it as it hoves into Shark Bay with Aboriginals (Ebony will be good here! ;) ) overlooking it from the cliff face... Im also doing a dining table with a 1ft dia lasy susan which will have the stairway to heaven over Broome beach for my sister in Broome (read first commisioned ala PAYING peice!!)... but without some way of getting the veneer a bit more plyable and not split crack or otherwise break out I cant see it happening :(

Anyway as I said thats bloody nice mate! :cool:

Lignum
25th April 2006, 11:40 AM
Great first up effort Shane:D Seems a shame to have them as wall hangings, id rather see them as panells in a nice cupboard. Keep up the good work and one day youl be as good as Dazzes as his is so good it looks loke a painting:)

chrisb691
25th April 2006, 03:37 PM
Okay revised word usage... remove "pathetic" and input something else which I cant think of right now :rolleyes: ;)

I dont know if what Ive done is on a par with that... is mine even marquetry? damned if I know but what I want to know is how to cut the ruddy stuff!! :mad: every time I go to cut a peice it snaps breaks or otherwise attempts to phiss me off in all efforts! Mind here Im usin a standley knife maybe thats it? But I cant see as how a saw of somesort (Ive had a go with the scroll saw but with the same result) wouldnt do the same thing?... the veneer is dry and very thin so of course it will breakout... Im thinkin of just moistening the veneer before I cut it maybe put some flex back into it would work?

The next peice Im doing is 4ft dia circle wall plaque... and I will need to get into more detail particularily with the ship... the Difkyn or however you spell it as it hoves into Shark Bay with Aboriginals (Ebony will be good here! ;) ) overlooking it from the cliff face... Im also doing a dining table with a 1ft dia lasy susan which will have the stairway to heaven over Broome beach for my sister in Broome (read first commisioned ala PAYING peice!!)... but without some way of getting the veneer a bit more plyable and not split crack or otherwise break out I cant see it happening :(

Anyway as I said thats bloody nice mate! :cool:

Best knife to use (IMO) is an exacto craft knife, with a number 10 scalpel blade. One slot in the aluminium collet gets cut down a bit deeper on one side, so that the blade fits down further and is more rigid. Or you can get similar craft knives at bunnings, but make sure that they have aluminum collets.

I use 50mm clear packaging tape on the back side of the veneer, which holds it together whilst you are cutting from the other side. The taped side becomes the face side after gluedown, and gets cleaned off.

Don't try and cut the veneer shape in one go, use gentle pressure and several passes of the knife.

Wild Dingo
25th April 2006, 08:44 PM
Cheers Chris... will give it a whirl while I wait for my order from Carbatec to turn up (ahem after I place the order that is :o ) In which will be one of those veneer saws that should do the trick eh wot? ;)

Shyte sorry Lig ol mate missed you! Now thats an idea I hadnt thought of! mmmm get a theme going eh? :cool:

chrisb691
26th April 2006, 12:05 PM
Cheers Chris... will give it a whirl while I wait for my order from Carbatec to turn up (ahem after I place the order that is :o ) In which will be one of those veneer saws that should do the trick eh wot? ;)

Shyte sorry Lig ol mate missed you! Now thats an idea I hadnt thought of! mmmm get a theme going eh? :cool:

Sorry mate, but the veneer saw is for straight cutting and is not suitable for complex parts (still a worthy purchase though). Unlike a knife, the veneer saw has a kerf and removes material. This also makes it unsuitable for use in the window method of marquetry.

There's quite a good tutorial here http://www.marquetry.org/hows_it_done.htm

inlay chris
31st May 2006, 10:55 AM
Just logged into the forum for the first time.
I'm a proffessional marquetry maker and live in the uk. I've just started making miniature furniture and as I've got some pictures to hand am posting it.
Its a miniature American Chippendale 1765 chest on chest measuring 14" tall. Being so small I had to design it as I went along. I used blind fretwork instead of carving and designed it in the manner of Chippendale. Instead of dentil moulding I used black and white line which I think works pretty well. The mouldings I used a scratch stock, shaping pieces of stanley blade on the grinder and clamping them to a guide, took me a bit of time to get the hang of it but I ended up with miniture period mouldings.
The drawers are all dovetailed and I got them to fit so closely you can hardly get a cigerette paper in the gap. The brassware I made ising a file.

Asd you can probably tell I'm now obsessed with miniature furniture and am already 60% of the way through the next which is a 1690 marquetry chest on stand with 19 drawers and pigeon holes

Wild Dingo
31st May 2006, 11:13 AM
Now that Chris is aweflaminsome mate!!! Absolutely stunning :cool:

I knew you fellas shrunk what with all that rain an fog an snow and stuff was only natural for you lot to shrink eh? but mate surely your not down to 14 inches tall over there? :eek:

mmmm may come for a visit... would be interesting to be called Gulliver and be a giant at only 5fy 6in tall!! :p :D

Seriously? Stunning work mate excellent!! :cool:

Oh and welcome to the forums... pretty good place to hang out really although theres a couple of reprobates theres also some poms yanks and an odd eclective woodbutcher of two hiding out ;)

inlay chris
1st June 2006, 07:35 AM
Hey Shane, it does'nt rain all the time over here, just most of the time. if you make em small the rain will swell em. Six months and i'll have a full size one.
C