Baz
31st March 2006, 04:56 PM
Hi Cameron, tried what before??????????
Cheers
Barry

CameronPotter
31st March 2006, 04:59 PM
A resin bowl.

Sorry, the post was a bit brief, I got distracted part way through.

I am thinking of making a bowl from polyester resin (kind of like pen making stuff).

I thought I would mould the bowl to an approximate shape (to save resin).

I was wondering if anyone had any advice...

ss_11000
31st March 2006, 05:15 PM
just a thought- would u be able to add some colouring to make it stand out a bit more or would it cause some kind of reaction and stuff up the resin ( though i cant see how)

its a good idea cam with the bowl and it'll be good to see how it turns out

CameronPotter
31st March 2006, 05:59 PM
Stirlo, if you look up some of my pen pictures, you can see the resin I have made.

You can add all kinds of colourants to it...

Cam

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st March 2006, 08:43 PM
I've seen resin bowls before, some of the better ones included small offcuts of asstd timbers, which gave an absolutely amazing effect. Sorta like the std timber bowls with inclusions filled with epoxy, but the other way 'round!

Another I remember was a glass-clear epoxy, embedded with petals and butterflies. I thought 'twas cast, but the owner assured me several times it had been turned. I still suspect 'twas as you suggest; cast to shape and then "finished" on a lathe.

ss_11000
31st March 2006, 11:12 PM
Stirlo, if you look up some of my pen pictures, you can see the resin I have made.

You can add all kinds of colourants to it...

Cam

i saw all your pen pics and they look really good, i just thought this time it was just resin ( i thought clear ) with nothing added ( like cloth etc )

La truciolara
2nd April 2006, 05:55 AM
I turn any now and then some combined resin-wood pieces. SOme of the resins can be polished fantastically weel and you can get amazing effects. The only problem with some resins is that it does miles long shavings that you cannot get rid of except with your vacuum cleaner. :D

rsser
2nd April 2006, 06:49 PM
I used to embed colour-fixed and dried red roses in polyester resin.

The wrinkle is that the whole piece can't be too thick ... the chemical reaction when it goes off generates heat and that can lead to cracks. From memory over about 20 - 25 mm.

Of course it's liquid when mixed so you'll need a mold.

[Edit: ah yes, you did say that; you'll need top and bottom and take care air bubbles don't get caught.]

CameronPotter
2nd April 2006, 08:44 PM
I've seen resin bowls before, some of the better ones included small offcuts of asstd timbers, which gave an absolutely amazing effect. Sorta like the std timber bowls with inclusions filled with epoxy, but the other way 'round!

Nice idea!

I might have to try this...

Was it lots of wood or just a few pieces?

Cam

CameronPotter
2nd April 2006, 08:46 PM
I used to embed colour-fixed and dried red roses in polyester resin.

The wrinkle is that the whole piece can't be too thick ... the chemical reaction when it goes off generates heat and that can lead to cracks. From memory over about 20 - 25 mm.

Of course it's liquid when mixed so you'll need a mold.

Rsser,

You put in too much hardener... If you put in less it won't crack. I have done block about 50mm thick without a problem... However, I was thinking of doing a rough casting first (basically just to save resin/hollowing time).

Cam

CameronPotter
2nd April 2006, 08:49 PM
i saw all your pen pics and they look really good, i just thought this time it was just resin ( i thought clear ) with nothing added ( like cloth etc )

Stirlo,

Did you see this?
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=28998

It shows a twp tone pen (red and gold) which was essentially clear resin with colours added...

Cam

CameronPotter
2nd April 2006, 08:50 PM
The only problem with some resins is that it does miles long shavings that you cannot get rid of except with your vacuum cleaner. :D

Tell me about it!

I find the same with horn and also some of the nicer woods...

Cam

ss_11000
2nd April 2006, 09:10 PM
Stirlo,

Did you see this?
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=28998

It shows a twp tone pen (red and gold) which was essentially clear resin with colours added...

Cam

i've seen that b4, must have forgotten about it:o , a bowl of that stuff would look awsome:cool: .... u could chuck some lollies in it and have a colourful bowl:p

CameronPotter
3rd April 2006, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I might see if I can make the moulds tonight - it is appears a lot harder than I thought though...

For starters, I need to cut a hole in the bottom of the bottom bowl and glue on another mould to allow for the foot. Then, I also need to cut a hole in the bottom of the top bowl and glue in other piece to create the stub (so I can cut a rebate in the foot so I can turn it all properly).

Furthermore, any lip and I won't be able to get the plstic out of the mould!

Arrghh.

Anyway, I will let you now how it goes.

Cam

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd April 2006, 04:37 PM
Just a thought... you know how we often glue on a small sacrificial block to the base of a blank for mounting to the chuck?

Let's say you turn one with a small angled tenon, then insert it in the base of the mould and cast the resin around the tenon as though it was the mould for the rebate for the foot. Would you be able to turn the whole assembly using that wood for mounting (and later turn it away) or do you think the joint'd be too weak? But it the joint was too weak, it'd also be too weak to use to mount the resin directly to the chuck, wouldn't it?

Just curious... I'm considering expanding my repertoire. :D

CameronPotter
3rd April 2006, 04:57 PM
I would think that would work a treat, but you would need a bowl chuck - which I haven't got around to making yet.

Of course you would have to make sure that the rebate didn't get filled in by the resin, but you could do that with vaseline or something which could be scraped out later. Hmmmm. :)

Cam

CameronPotter
5th April 2006, 09:08 AM
Well,

I have cast my first blank. I don't envisage it being particularly successful. The resin stuck to my form (even though it was covered in Vaseline). Actually, I think that it melted the middle of the bottom part out, but only after it had set to a fairly firm shape. :rolleyes:

This one was simply two bowl of the same size placed one above the other with a well added to the bottom bowl to make a foot and an outlet in the middle of the top of the bowl to make a stub for turning the foot.

See piccies. Ain't it beautiful? ;) Hopefully it will look better with a better finish (and cleaned up turning).

My next plan is to turn a form (maybe using MDF?) but I don't yet know how to get matching profiles - or even profiles that match near enough. The problem is that turning the inside portion of the form to match the outside portion of the form may be hard as I can't see how the two parts relate to each other.

Any hints?

Cam

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th April 2006, 09:45 AM
My next plan is to turn a form (maybe using MDF?) but I don't yet know how to get matching profiles - or even profiles that match near enough. The problem is that turning the inside portion of the form to match the outside portion of the form may be hard as I can't see how the two parts relate to each other.

Any hints?

Templates. :)

CameronPotter
5th April 2006, 10:06 AM
Oh dear I really am an idiot...

I was thinking about how I could get an even depth across the whole bowl, but that is the point of a lathe!! :rolleyes:

Thanks Skew. :o

ps I assume that MDF would be the best material to use?

Harry72
5th April 2006, 10:12 AM
Just buy some plastic bowls from a $2 shop cut a hole in the bottom to join/glue some PVC pipe for the foot part of the mould... once set, just lathe it away... only cost ya 2 dolla!(for a set of 3!)

CameronPotter
5th April 2006, 10:24 AM
Harry,

Have a look at the photos above - what do you think I did?

However, getting the fit right wasn't easy and I was limited in shape and design. Furthermore, as I wanted to use an inner bowl (to save resin) the other part didn't fit very well (as I used two identical bowls)... This meant I have a thick base and thin walls.

Still, I'll let you know how it goes.

Cam

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th April 2006, 10:31 AM
I assume that MDF would be the best material to use?

For the template or the mould? I'd laminate up MDF for the mould (mainly 'cos I've got heaps of scrap lying around ;) ) but use ply for the template so you can make replacement moulds quickly as and when ya want 'em.

CameronPotter
5th April 2006, 10:49 AM
Yeah, for the mould.

Cheers

Cam

CameronPotter
5th April 2006, 10:14 PM
:( :( Well here is trial 1 complete with "rustic" finish. :( :(

I knew it was going wrong so I didn't bother to finish it properly.

A few things caused problems:

1. I got impatient with the resin again... Thus it was not fully set and there were blow outs. ie The edge flew apart. I MUST learn patience.

2. The Vaseline didn't work properly as a mould release and I think that it also cause some problems with the setting of the mould.

3. The top stub was slightly off centre meaning that I turned away a lot of what was already a thin bowl.

That all aside... It shows promise. :rolleyes:

Cam

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th April 2006, 11:51 PM
I reckon it's pretty damned good for a prototype. You've shown it to be practical, you can see that you should be able to get some decent results, (it stayed together dinnit? :D ) so all you have to do is refine the process.

And you've already made a good start on that, in knowing what to try differently next time! :D

If I had the raw casting materials I'd be trying it myself... always wanted to give something similar a try.

CameronPotter
6th April 2006, 12:02 AM
Yep, well I will give it a go again, only this time I think I will use turned moulds instead of shop bought bowls...

Cam

black1
17th April 2006, 01:50 PM
have a look at he book "faceplate turning" fetures projects practice isbn 0-946819-99-8 from woodturning magazine. got it from library look at page 96. bloke is from victoria and he combines both timber and epoxy to make a bowl. looks bloody good as well