PDA

View Full Version : tips for routing polycarbonate

rev
1st April 2006, 11:07 AM
I would appreciate any tips that can be offered for routing a pattern (from an MDF template) to polycarbonate sheet (6mm) please. I have routed perspex before and found some melted globs in places. I imagine that polycarbonate has similar properties to perspex when it comes to routing. Unfortunately the piece I have doesn't leave enough spare as waste with which to experiment. I have a variable speed router; if slower speeds still are desirable I could use the pattern bit or flush trim bit in the drill press. :confused:

rev
1st April 2006, 06:42 PM
Well I needed to get the job done by this evening so I just had a go anyway. I discovered that polycarbonate machines very well! It grabs a bit at slow speed but once the speed is increased it goes just fine.

NewLou
1st April 2006, 07:38 PM
Thx Rev

appreciated your feed back on its machineability...................I just found a local supplier for plexiglass etc etc

And am soon to experiment with this kind of material myself

REgards Lou:)

Greg Q
1st April 2006, 11:41 PM
Well I needed to get the job done by this evening so I just had a go anyway. I discovered that polycarbonate machines very well! It grabs a bit at slow speed but once the speed is increased it goes just fine.

What kind of bit/speed were you using? I have just discovered that I shall be asked to make quite a few things from polycarbonate soon, and I'll need a very smooth finished edge.

Greg

rev
2nd April 2006, 07:25 AM
Greg, I'm not sure of the speed in rpm. My router is a Dewalt 625 and I ended up having it set at about 3 1/2 to 4 on its 1-5 scale which covers 8000-30000 rpm (from memory). I was using a Triton 1/2" TCT flush trim bit (with bearing).

Greg Q
2nd April 2006, 07:55 AM
Thanks Rev, that's good info. I am pleased to hear that the straight trim bit worked OK-some plastics that I have tried in the past have shown chip-out every so often on the machined edge.

Greg

doug the slug
2nd April 2006, 02:26 PM
Thx Rev

appreciated your feed back on its machineability...................I just found a local supplier for plexiglass etc etc

And am soon to experiment with this kind of material myself

REgards Lou:)

No doubt for templates for the left hand fence of the woodrat, Lou?http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif