PDA

View Full Version : Which Lathe

Biggles263
1st April 2006, 04:04 PM
While I've been involved in woodwork for 30 years now, I've done very little turning and on friends lathes. I have made some lovely table legs at various times and would like to do a lot more turning.

Which Lathe though?

I have 3 phase and I would like to buy something of quality to last. What should I look for, any recommendations on brands and what should I expect to spend. Most of my gear is 3 HP or bigger and I see a Vicmarc V175 for sale at $2700 but with a 1HP motor. Is this a good lathe at a reasonable prce and is this size of motor adequate for turning hardwoods ... really well seasoned hardwoods like yellow box, casuarina and ironbark?

Hope someone can help :confused:

bdar
2nd April 2006, 12:18 AM
Hi, Vicmarc you definately have quality in any of the lathes produced by the company. The VL175 is a good solid lathe with a swivel head stock for out board turning. I run a VL100 and VL850 at home. Demonstrated on VL100's, VL200's as well as the VL300 bowl lathe, the only problem I have is I don't have a big enough shed to have them all. If your budget allows you will be well pleased with a Vicmarc lathe. A lot of people start with a Bunnings special, and that is no disrespect to Bunnings. A lot of hardware stores sell a cheap inferior lathe and people that want to learn our craft get discouraged because of that. Go for it you won't regret it.

Bdar

La truciolara
2nd April 2006, 05:43 AM
The VL 175 (like all the vicmarc lathes) are excellent machines. I have my workshop equipped only with Vicmarcs.<O:p</O:p
The price you mention is attractive (provided of course the lathe is in good shape). The power is OK (When Vic exports to Europe</ST1:place he puts a 1.5 HP engine on).<O:p</O:p
It is a very stable lathe, smooth to run, alignment is not a problem which is not the case on other lathes with swivel head.
I think you will enjoy it and keep it for many years.<O:p</O:p
Tell us about your choice :)

RETIRED
2nd April 2006, 09:04 AM
Try using Notepad. Cut and paste from that.

Word puts so much coding in that in some cases it nearly makes the text unreadable and I have to edit it out.

rsser
2nd April 2006, 06:42 PM
Hi Biggles,

No prob spindle turning with 1 hp.

Big platters and bowls turned outboard however you'll have to be a bit patient with. Just slow down your gouge feed.

Never bothered me on my 175.

[Edit: and yes, that's good value if it's the variable speed model.]

Biggles263
2nd April 2006, 07:31 PM
Bdar, La truciolara, and Rsser;

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a shot at purchasing a Vicmarc.
Any pointers on where and how best to get some sound basic skills to go on with? And tools ... what comprises a basic starters kit and any brand in particular?

I have quite a few old Sorby and Bahco chisels and I have been very happy with them. Not sure what they are like in the turning side of things.

I'll let you all know what I end up with.

Cheers

Biggles

skot
2nd April 2006, 08:02 PM
Does anyone know why we only get .75 hp and the exports get 1.5hp

Baz
2nd April 2006, 08:45 PM
Biggles, if you want to call in next time you are in Canberra I am willing to help you out.
Cheers
Barry

bdar
2nd April 2006, 11:28 PM
Biggles,

I use mainly Sorby chisels, but have a cross section of Hamlet, Henry Taylor, Ashley Isles, and P&N. I get Sorby from MIK in South Australia, Hamlet from Carb-a-tec. My turning kit is 2 parting, 1 bedan, 3 Skews; 1", 3/4" & 1/2". The rest are different gouges of varying sizes and profiles. As long as the chisels are HSS then you will be right. Some have suggested before to buy an el cheapo set to practice sharpening skills which would save on the HSS until a turner has sorted their grinding out.

Bdar

Spindleshanks
3rd April 2006, 03:58 PM
Skot,

Vermec, Brisbane, will put a bigger motor on the 175 if you ask nicely.

Biggles263
3rd April 2006, 05:27 PM
Does anyone have one of these? What do you think of it?
Thanks
Biggles:confused:

ss_11000
3rd April 2006, 08:56 PM
Does anyone have one of these? What do you think of it?
Thanks
Biggles:confused:

i know they're big and expensive and garry pye sells them for $4789....looks pretty good and a big motor too

Cliff Rogers
3rd April 2006, 09:24 PM
I've got a VL300ESVX with Terry Baker's autograph on it. :D

The only mod I did to it was to lift it a bit higher & stick Vermec's swinging tail stock extension on it. I love it.

The only other thing I would change (if I could work out how) is the stopping speed. Mine stops too slowly from high speed.

Terry was using it to demonstrate at a Turnfest at Coolum & he had a big piece of red gum unscrew the chuck 'cos the motor stopped too quick. Some body changed the programming of the ESV & now I can't change it back. (I've tried several times)

I found a work around. I was stopping it by hand & then, by accident, I found that if you hit the stop button & then hit the start button again, it brakes the motor hard so that it can then do it's ramp up to speed.
So now if I want it stopped in a hurry, I hit stop, then start & then stop again before it spins up again. I can also hit stop, spin the speed knob to zero & hit start, that also works.

PS. I also have several magnets from wrecked hard drives stuck al over it for holding all the tools, keys, dividers, rulers, etc.

Biggles263
6th April 2006, 09:15 PM
Thought I'd let you all know that I decided to buy and have bought a VL300 with the long bed.

Now all I have to do is learn to use it!

Thanks to all of you for input.

Cheers
Biggles.

Baz
6th April 2006, 09:58 PM
Biggles when is delivery expected?
Cheers
Barry

ss_11000
6th April 2006, 10:16 PM
Thought I'd let you all know that I decided to buy and have bought a VL300 with the long bed.

congrats on the lathe mate,:cool:

La truciolara
12th April 2006, 03:41 AM
Now all I have to do is learn to use it!
Cheers
Biggles.
Wonderful Pro Lathes !!! Congratulation!
I only bought the short bench version, but it is so great, specialy equipped with the Vermec Tailstock Swivel attachement, that I have no problems teaching how to turn pens on it even if a little overdimensioned for pens. :D
Now the only thing you have to do is to post some pics of your turnings.
Good shavings !!!