PDA

View Full Version : Green Chipboard??

BobL
2nd April 2006, 10:53 PM
I started my next project today, a side bench for my shed where I can plan and lay out small projects. I've told myself - no clutter on this bench but we'll see how long that actually lasts.

I started using some materials I already had on hand. The legs/sides and top are made from 35 mm grey melamine that my brother gave me a year or so ago. On slicing into it with the circular I notice the interior chipboard is a green tinge. My guess is that this is treated chipboard of some kind??

The rest of the frame is made from treated crapiata. I've been using Shedhand's frame joining method (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=21112&d=1143376556) for the melamine to crapiata cross members - so far it works great. I'll post some pics when its done.

Meanwhile nny clues on the green tinged chipboard would be appreciated

Cheers

Harry72
2nd April 2006, 11:07 PM
Its MR, moisture resistant

Ian007
2nd April 2006, 11:47 PM
Harry is 100% correct.

BobL
2nd April 2006, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys.

maglite
3rd April 2006, 12:10 AM
its called aquatite over here, probably for marketing purposes...........one and the same as has been mentioned

BobL
3rd April 2006, 12:54 AM
Just out of interest what would something water resistant like that be used for? At thing stage I'm thinking toilet stall dividers? The melamine came from an office rennovation in the CBD and was sitting in a dumpster in the basement of the building my brother works in and he managed to extract 3 sheets of 2010 x 1500 of the stuff. Apparently there was quite a bit more in there but it was covered in crap. This stuff is heavy as all get out and being smooth quite difficult to handle - I can barely lift a sheet. Anyway its sure going to make a nice heavy side bench.

Iain
3rd April 2006, 08:26 AM
I used it for all our kitchen benches and have some for a cupboard in the bathroom which will hide a trough and washing machine.
I believe it will resist steam and high humidity but not immersion.

scooter
3rd April 2006, 04:58 PM
Just out of interest what would something water resistant like that be used for? At thing stage I'm thinking toilet stall dividers? ... there was quite a bit more in there but it was covered in crap...

I think you answered your own question :D :D :p

Often used in "wet areas" such as laundries and bathrooms I think.

Cheers................Sean, waterproof ;)

brit_in_oz
18th April 2006, 08:53 PM
MR grade contains melamine in the resin as well as urea formaldehyde, it forms a resin that resists water and so when it gets wet swells less and is structurally better. Commonly used in bench tops (33mm).
The green is a dye that is added when the resin is sprayed onto the wood chips to ID MR grade from standard grade as otherwise their is no convenient way.

I think you answered your own question :D :D :p

Often used in "wet areas" such as laundries and bathrooms I think.

Cheers................Sean, waterproof ;)