PDA

View Full Version : sorby turning tools

sbranden
3rd April 2006, 09:56 AM
Hi, I know Robert Sorby turning tools are considered good quality. Are tools labled "Sorby" made by the same company? are they also good or are they low end?

cheers

shaun

rsser
3rd April 2006, 10:51 AM
Should be the same thing Shaun.

btw, also consider Henry Taylor tools. I use both brands and reckon the Taylor steel is better.

CameronPotter
3rd April 2006, 12:13 PM
I must second Henry Taylor recommendations...

I only have one Taylor gouge, but I use it all the time as it is excellent (although I like my massive P&N Supagouge too).

Cam

Dean
3rd April 2006, 06:25 PM
I have a set of Robert Sorby's. They have worked fine for me.
Might try a couple Taylor's next though ;)

John Saxton
3rd April 2006, 09:40 PM
Have both the Robert Sorby & the Henry Taylor tools in chisels ...but have a preference for the Taylor chisels ....there's been good comment also on the home grown P&N tools but I've never tried them.

I reckon the Henry Taylor tools hold an edge better than the Sorby one's ..but and I emphasise that's my opinion.

Cheers:)

Lance Stunning
4th April 2006, 09:07 AM
I would not buy any of their tools if they do not have the "HSS" imprint. The company produces lathe tools with a variety of tool and regular steels. HSS tools resist loss of temper significantly better than carbon steel. It's one of the reasons they stay sharp longer. If it's a good deal, buy them.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th April 2006, 04:59 PM
HSS tools resist loss of temper significantly better than carbon steel. It's one of the reasons they stay sharp longer. If it's a good deal, buy them.

I'll disagree with this: Good quality CS (eg. Sorby brand ;) ) stays sharp longer than HSS once it has been sharpened. It's more difficult to sharpen, in that overheating ruins the temper so you have to grind past the annealed section (without overheating! :rolleyes: ) and start sharpening again.

Some of my favourite turning tools are CS, even though I have the HSS equivalents.

Shaun, as far as I know both markings are from the same factory and are of the same quality; I've both "types" and can't say I've seen any marked difference.

sbranden
4th April 2006, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the info all. Very much appreciated

shaun

Wood worrier
18th April 2006, 03:25 AM
I recently bought a couple of Crown powder metalurgy gouges, these are significantly harder than HSS, take a better edge and hold their edges far longer. Very good for wet turning where you need to keep the tool razor sharp. (Crown call them 'Pro PM' and identify them using a black ash handle). Definitly recommended :D.