PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a lathe?

cedar n silky
3rd April 2006, 12:46 PM
I am looking to buy another lathe, having had a break of about 5 years. My previous lathe was a Record (swivel head with the Hollow black pipes) which was fine for learning on. I mainly turned small bowls of about 30 cm or less (for the craft market), and looking at my wood stash , can't see myself turning anything much larger. I rarely turned between centres, but occasionaly found a need, such as making chisel handles etc.
I am left handed, so I presume a swivel head would be appropriate?
I would love a Vicmarc 175 but the $$$ are'nt there! (i've been looking hard for a second hand one)
One lathe I am looking at is the JET JWL 1442 VS. Does any one have an opinion on them? It has a swivel head, but i did read some concerns on this fine forum about mechanical variable speeds. (I hope to average 10 or so hours a week on the lathe) and am wondering if the belts wear out or the maintenance is high?
Jet make bigger lathes with sliding headstocks (and electronic variable speed) should i pay an extra $1000 and go for that, and turn outboard for my bowls? Or are there creative ways for left handers to turn on fixed headstocks. (one option I suppose is to stand on the opposite side of the lathe, but all the controls are out of easy reach- is this a real problem?)
Open to all and any suggestions-

Nuggett
3rd April 2006, 01:11 PM
Hi Cedar
Do what I did, join a club in your area,they will probably have a few different lathe for you to turn on,some maybe out of your price range, but it'll give an idea of the difference between the cheap and the more expenses ones. then ask around some members might want sell theirs or the club might sell one of theirs if they are upgrading. Go to the Wood show to have a look at all the Lathes on offer, all under one roof. I'm left handed as well and I choose the VL175,it took longer to save up for it but worth the wait. I would love to upgrade to the deluxe Vl 175 with a HP motor as I find that some thing I need the extra grunt.
Good Luck

Regards Nugget:)

TTIT
3rd April 2006, 01:55 PM
So I'm not the only one out there!:D :D :D . I don't know anything about the Jet but - :eek: :eek: :eek: - I do spend a lot of time behind my lathe.:eek: :eek: :eek: . I do all my hollowing from the back and have got very used to running the controls from there. If all hell breaks loose - the mains lead is easily pulled from the overhead outlet (haven't had to yet - touch wood).

Biggles263
3rd April 2006, 08:54 PM
Hi Cedar,

There's a VL175 in Adelaide on Ebay which will finish in 15 hours. There are no bids on it with a strting price of $2700. It appears to be in pristine condition in the photos and seems to be good value.:D

hcbph
4th April 2006, 12:46 AM
Cedar

I have the Jet 1642 and do spindle work on it, it's great. The head does not swivel like the smaller units, but you can either push it down to the other end or turn it around on the bed. Just a thought here: PM now has an option with hanging a bed extension on the leg, lower than the normal bed. With a piece of plate steel and some forethought, you could duplicate that on the Jet. Might be a viable option for you. Take a look at the manual for the PM 3520B (think that's where I saw it) on the vendor website, and you should see what I'm talking about.

Paul

cedar n silky
4th April 2006, 07:36 AM
Thanks for all the feedback! What a great forum- Never used one before.
I did see the VL175 on ebay, but South Australia is a long way from Northern NSW, and I think it is a "pick it up here" job.
I'm driving down to Sydney and Melbourne over Easter, and will look around for a 2nd hand lathe- Have the means to transport a lathe as I have a ute. (maybe I'll just shoot over to SA!?!).
One question though, mechanical variable speed- are they frought with problems? Any comments appreciated.
And I will see if ther is a club up this way- Lismore is the nearest small city for me.
Cheers!

cedar n silky
5th April 2006, 11:50 PM
As I will be in Sydney and Melbourne over Easter and beyond, if anyone is selling (or knows of someone) a second hand Vicmarc VL 175, I would be interested.
I may be interseted in another good quality brand as long as it has a swivel head, and ideally electronic variable speed 1 HP and over motor.
Cheers:D

Jean
14th April 2006, 12:05 AM
As I will be in Sydney and Melbourne over Easter and beyond, if anyone is selling (or knows of someone) a second hand Vicmarc VL 175, I would be interested.
I may be interseted in another good quality brand as long as it has a swivel head, and ideally electronic variable speed 1 HP and over motor.
Cheers:D
My husband has a STUBBY 750 it has a reverse and the controls can be wall mounted or magnets to the lathe where you want them, it does not have a swivel head, does not need it as the bed slides and rotates out of the way. It can turn bowls to 1000mm diam. and turn between centres 1000mm I think and it is for sale, it also has electronic variable speed if you are interested have a look at my add in buy/sell/swap section although it may not suit you as we are in Tasmania. Jean

rsser
18th April 2006, 08:58 AM
Hi cedar and silky,

Check your email. My Vicmarc 175 is up for sale as I'm buying Jean's Stubby.

In Melbourne.

cedar n silky
26th April 2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks Jean for letting me know, but I was at Wilson's Promintry for a few days and missed your email. and regretably missed out on Ern's Vicmarc 175 (by a day!!). That's what happens when your being a tourist instead of a wood turner!! Thoroughly enjoing it though, and it would have been a great excuse to go to Tas! Gotta be quick!
Cheers

Bruce101
24th July 2006, 10:41 PM
Cedar,
I have a Jet 1442, purchased on 22/5. It's a great piece of equipment (so far) and is a joy to use.
Only time will tell on the longevity of the gear.
Hope this helps.
Bruce

cedar n silky
25th July 2006, 08:37 AM
Cedar,
I have a Jet 1442, purchased on 22/5. It's a great piece of equipment (so far) and is a joy to use.
Only time will tell on the longevity of the gear.
Hope this helps.
Bruce
Thanks Bruce, but I bought a Vicmarc VL175 at the Brisbane show, a couple of months ago now. Enjoying it too!!:)