PDA

View Full Version : Plans for Attic Ladder

Max Bancroft
4th April 2006, 01:15 PM
I have been trying unsucessfully to locate a plan for an Attic Ladder. I know the ladder is available commercially in Sydney Australia at a cost of AUD$880.00 whereas it is obvious there is only about $100.00 worth of materials involved. The step treads appear to be 90mm X 25mm decking pine. If any member can direct me to where a plan can be located,purchased or free, I would be most gratefull.
regards
Max Bancroft
[email protected]

BobL
4th April 2006, 05:42 PM
Max, I have 3/4th finished Excel spreadsheet model of a loft ladder/stairs that allows you to enter a few variables (height of ceiling, angle of ladder etc) and calculates a whole bunch of stuff including the linear amount of timber, suspended mass of the ladder, and total cost of timber you need and draws a graph showing the treads and angle of the stairs. Unfortunately it is not annotated and would take some knowledge of Excel to know how to modify and use it.

My calculations based on 3.3m high ceiling, 0.73m x 0.19m x 14 treads and using 45 mm thick pine produces ~70 kg suspended mass of ladder costing about $230 of pine (this is an old timber price). The reason I went for 45 mm is that I weigh more than 100kg and I was to be carrying anything up there that would only compund the problem. Also I wanted a nice wide opening in the loft to be able to get things in and out easily.

35 mm thick timber gives a 54 kg suspended mass but I don't think this would be strong enough for me carrying something. This is a nice wide (0.73m) ladder but you could get away with a lot less than this but even a 0.60m wide ladder will only reduce the mass to 48 kg. Also I was a bit nervous about suspending this mass of wood from the ceiling and I was not sure if sprung retraction systems as used on commercial ladders would be easily available

I ummed and ahhed over making the ladder myself and finally went to see the commercial ladders and secumbed to the lure of (very expensive) but lightweight Aluminium and smooth simple retraction systems. Mine is a custom made 0.68 m wide ladder in a 0.76m x 1.5m wide opening. I have by now been up and down it hundreds of times and it works very well.

Instead of building the ladder I decided to put my woodworking skills into use inside the attic as you can see from these photos. Photo 1 shows the ladder opening and ballustrade, Shot two shows a 360 degree panorama of the inside of the attic. Walls are undercoated gyprock. Floor is recycled wandoo. Heavy stuff can be winched up using a small boat winch attached to an MDF box that slides on 20 mm poly pipe gaffer taped to the top of ladder.

Attic is way too hot in summer to actually live in but perfect for storage as you can see.

journeyman Mick
4th April 2006, 11:28 PM
Max,
I've fitted a few of those fold away attic ladders in aluminium and I believe they're good value. I certainly couldn't build one from scratch for the prices they ask (well, not if I want to make any money on the job). Have you worked out how you will hinge it and counterweight it? Do you know how much it will weigh? Have you built any stairs or ladders before? Im a carpenter with a few years experience, but if I needed one of these myself I would buy a commercially made one. Solid staircase? I'd build that from scratch no worries.

Mick

BobL
6th April 2006, 02:02 PM
I just used the prices from the latest bunnys catalog and my original 3.3 m high ceiling x 0.73 wide ladder or steps really x 35 mm thick crapiata now costs $300.

dexx
13th February 2007, 02:19 PM
Does anyone know where to buy attic/loft ladders in Perth?

Sprog
13th February 2007, 03:01 PM
Does anyone know where to buy attic/loft ladders in Perth?

Heres just one

Roof Access Systems
2/ 2 James St
Bayswater
WA, 6053
Australia

Ph (08) 9371 8525

http://www.roofaccesssystems.com.au/

For more

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/

BobL
15th February 2007, 09:19 AM
Dex,

We bought our AM-Boss ladder from SUNCREST BUILDING PRODUCTS 9330 539 in Myaree.

Just a heads up about some ladders. Some are only rated to 110 kg which means that if anyone needing to use this ladder weighs anywhere near this and they want to carry a heavy suitcase up into your attic then . . . . . The one we bought is rated to 150 kg.

Will.Vova
9th January 2008, 02:59 PM
Another company is enzie stairs www.enzie.com.au
They have a few people in perth who you can see listed on www.roofspaceladders.com

The good thiing about their ladders are that they have a gas piston counter-weight

noelhi1
9th January 2008, 04:20 PM
I have installed a AM-BOSS aluminum ladder in to a new home found it to be very simple to install and works well for the price I don't think you could make one a child could operate it :UThe owners are very happy with :2tsup:it
www.ambossaccessladder.com.au/products.php?sec=item1 (http://www.ambossaccessladder.com.au/products.php?sec=item1)

Cheers Noel