PDA

View Full Version : new festools

taskitchen
4th April 2006, 08:22 PM
what do you think about the festool ps 300 barrel grip jig saw and the 1400 router, because i am a first year apprentice cabinet maker and i am thinking about buying these in the next couple of weeks. I would also like the domino machine but i would rather buy the jig saw and router this year and maybe get the donino next year. so what do you think? what would be a better choice?
Thanks

DPB
4th April 2006, 08:42 PM
I think for an apprentice you have a lot of money!:D

riri
4th April 2006, 08:57 PM
what do you think about the festool ps 300 barrel grip jig saw and the 1400 router, because i am a first year apprentice cabinet maker and i am thinking about buying these in the next couple of weeks. I would also like the domino machine but i would rather buy the jig saw and router this year and maybe get the donino next year. so what do you think? what would be a better choice?
Thanks

Hi there. I have owned a trion ps 300 for about 3 years now and i love it. First the feel is superb. It is a pure joy to handle above the table or below the table. Then you have the precision. There no other jigsaw that i know of that can follow a line with such precision. Lastly, i love to have the power when you need it. With an extra long blage i managed to go through some pretty thick solid wood i never thought possible. I can confirm also the claim that cuts always are straight. You only realise the benefits when you go back to your old jigsaw.

As for the router i have a 1010 and i have had it for 4 years now. I use it all the time for small jobs. The 1400 i dont know. Maybe it is a bit heavy for my taste and the use i have.

John Saxton
4th April 2006, 09:12 PM
Obviously you've considered what you're going to need in furthering your needs in the trade and Festo will certainly give you a quality machine.

The tools you mention will give you good long service and withstand the rigours your trade will offer up in everyday use.A router is a valuable accessory and hardly none finer than the Festo ..but ask yourself do you want to spend in excess of $1100 for a router..make no mistake the Festo will go the distance with it's finely engineered design suitable.

The barrel grip 300 is also a great jigsaw and worthy of contemplating ..it will also serve your needs.

On the Domino with its multiple functions you're going to have a machine capable of multiple functions that if it is typical of all Festo machinery then it'll give you a leg-up in building your tool needs...it is of course expensive and like all the craftsmen down thru the years it was necessary to buy the best they could to enjoy the craft.

Way back in the early 60's I bought the best I could get my hands on at that time and still have those tools in my possession that have stood the test of time...a decision also costly at the time but with no regrets.

Cheers:) Good luck

taskitchen
4th April 2006, 09:16 PM
yeah i was thinking that the 1400 might be to heavy as well but i was readin about the 1100 on this site and a lot of people dont like it.
i thought that it would be a good weight for me because i will only be doing smallish jobs with it

taskitchen
4th April 2006, 09:20 PM
thanks for the advice. A tradsman that i work with also told me that if i am going to spend my money on tools i should save up enough so that i can get good quality ones that should last me for a very long time.

riri
4th April 2006, 09:31 PM
yeah i was thinking that the 1400 might be to heavy as well but i was readin about the 1100 on this site and a lot of people dont like it.
i thought that it would be a good weight for me because i will only be doing smallish jobs with it

Yeah definitely, if you are doing smallish but you need accuracy, that is THE tool you need.

jonga
4th April 2006, 09:39 PM
taskitchen,

Unlike you I am just a hobbist, however, in the last month I have taken the plunge and bought myself a collection of Festool power tools the OF1400 router and PS300 barrel jigsaw included, both of which I am extremely happy with and would recommend. I eventually chose the Festool router and jigsaw as I have the view that it is better to spend more and get the best you can afford now with the understanding that it will let you do a better job or certianly make the job easier and if looked after they should last years. Prior to the Festool equipment I have now, I had mainly used my father's AEG, Hitachi and DeWalt tools all of which were good and survived years of abuse by me during my earlier woodworking years.

Cheers,

Sjoerd

Lignum
4th April 2006, 09:46 PM
Tas, if youve used either the 1010 or 1400 before and you like them, then buy it. But if you havnt and just going on recomendations, then give one or the other an extended try. I find them uncomfortable and awkward and a bit $y. As an apprentice id advise you to spread your bucks and get more gear into your kit. Festo is excelent, but high quality similar to Festo dose come at half the Festo price:)

taskitchen
4th April 2006, 09:50 PM
no i havent used either of them but my boss has got the big 2000 and i like that except i find it a little to big for the jobs that we do with it.

Lignum
4th April 2006, 09:55 PM
Its WAY to big for most jobs, and i dont mean power. Its just to high and gets it the road of its self. The manufacturing and precision is superb, but id never in a fit buy one. Ill stick to my 15 year old Elu which Festo can only dream of emulating in lustfull quality;)

riri
5th April 2006, 01:21 AM
Hi Tas,

I disagree with Lignum here. Try the 1010 and you will love it. Granted it is a bit different than traditional router but once you get used to it no job seems to be too difficult. As for the 1400 as i said i have not tried it and do not see any useful application as far as i am concerned.:p

nt900
5th April 2006, 03:14 AM
I think the OF1010 may be a bit limited for some people in Aus as it takes upto 8mm bits only. And lots of us have a good collection of 1/2 inch bits so the OF1400 may be more suitable. I don't use the OF1010 but do use the OF1400, and I think OF1400 is pretty easy to control on smaller stuff, but with the power and collet size for the bigger work as well. In my opinion one of the features of both routers apart from the ability to route one handed, is the guide rail compatibility for trench work, sliding dovetails etc.

Dean
5th April 2006, 10:15 PM
Check my website for reviews of both the PS300 jigsaws and OF1400 router.
Have personally used the OF1400. It would be fine with smaller work. It's very user friendly and very well balanced. Certainly far easier for handheld stuff than the Triton router :)

ian
5th April 2006, 10:37 PM
Tas, I got to try the 1400 at the Sydney wood show about three years ago and my dad has a 1010. I really like the 1010, but if I were only considering FESTO I'd get the 1400 because it takes ¼in and ½in shank cutters wereas the 1010 can't take anything bigger than 8mm

ian