PDA

View Full Version : Purpleheart and birdseye Euro beech

growl
4th April 2006, 11:29 PM
Like the other box of Huon and purpleheart this one was fun to make.

It is finished with scandanavian oil and traditional wax.

It measures about 300 x 130 x 100

I think this is my favourite of the two.

I have another that I have nearly finished but made a blunder drilling the holes for the hinges and was about 0.5mm out. I cut it down and finish it some other time. Pictures to follow of that one.

Making them in batches is certainly quicker than one at a time, hence three times the enjoyment.

Greg

Sculptured Box
4th April 2006, 11:48 PM
growl

growl by name, but not craftsmanship? Nice box!

What did you use to glue what I assume to be the box magnets?

Tony Ward
www.tonyward.org (http://www.tonyward.org)

growl
5th April 2006, 09:55 AM
Scuptured box,

I used Araldite to glue in the magnets. I had not done it before. I drilled the hole and used a toothpick to put a small amount in. They were a tight fit but went in well with a bit of lub that the glue creates.

growl is a shortening of my first and surname.

Greg

zenwood
5th April 2006, 11:44 AM
Very nice box. Not sure myself about the vertical bars inset into the mitres, but still, very nice. I like the way you've done the feet in a way that matches the curved edges of the top panel.

This box seems to say "wide" (which is why I wonder about the vertical bars). Another idea would be to hide the magnets at the front with a strip of purpleheart veneer so that "wide" is not interrupted by the metal dots.

one day soon
5th April 2006, 01:06 PM
I'm new to this sport so apologies for the dumb questions.

What hinges did you use and where did you get 'em? They look really compact - how are they fixed?

The hinges on my first box were your regular brass numbers. Had a hell of a time getting the lid aligned.

Sprog
5th April 2006, 01:20 PM
What hinges did you use and where did you get 'em? They look really compact - how are they fixed?

Here is just one source, 5mm Concealed Hinges, about half way down the page.

http://www.timbecon.com.au/products/hinges-432_1.aspx

growl
5th April 2006, 03:15 PM
I got those ones from Veneer Inlay Aust at www.veneerinlayaustralia.com.au

Magnets came from there as well.

Greg