PDA

View Full Version : Used air cleaner giveaway

BobL
5th April 2006, 10:01 AM
At work we are in the process of decommissioning a number of ultra-clean laboratories. The majority of the lab gear and furniture is corroded well beyond repair but some of the Absolute or High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter units in these laboratories are still in "working order" and my guess is that some of the filters have 1-2 years of life left in them. If the filter units are properly prefiltered some may last a bit longer albeit at reduced flow rates. "Working Order" means the 1/3 HP squirrel cage fan motor still works and the primary filter is not damaged, although it is probably well on its way to reaching capacity. Some units may be be still working but be partly corroded or stained and need repainting. Some are free standing on metal or wooden stands - stands may be corroded.

What I want to find out is if there is any interest in these units. If so or you have a question about them then you can post a response here or message me. If there is a lot of interest I will run some sort of barrel draw to give every one a chance. It will be essential that units can be picked up from the Perth Metro Area. Having serviced these units for over 20 years I can provide limited free advice about how to service/maintain them.

These filter units will become available from about the middle/end of May onwards. I have permission to donate these to any worthy cause and I thought the lungs of fellow woodworkers is a good cause. I don't know how many there will be as we haven't taken all the labs apart yet. My guess is there could be around 6 - 8 units.

More info ************************
The filter units (when new) look similar to those shown here: http://www.aesenvironmental.com.au/absoluteHEPA_filters.htm and come in at least 3 sizes:
1) full size units are 300 x 1200 x 1200 mm and are rated at at 640 CFM when new. The casing is made from epoxy or polyurethane coated steel and may be partly corroded and need restoration. These units cannot fit in a normal passenger car. You would need a trailer or van to transport these. They would suit a large shed. When new, depending on the rating of the filter these units cost a couple of thousand dollars. The ones on stands with the 0.3 micron filters cost about $4000.
2) We have a few half size units that are half the full size ie 320 CFM filters and may suit a smaller shed. I haven't looked inside all of these but most still use 1/3 HP motors but have smaller filters.
3) We also have a number of custom constructed units of varying sizes with housings made from expoy coated 7 or 5 ply or polypropylene. These vary from 640 to about 120 CFM when new. (I made some of these units 20 years ago!) Some of these units are partially built in and may require you to take them out yourself. As I installed these I have a fair idea of how to get them out and it will not be difficult.

As well as HEPA filters, all units use graded prefilter media which will need washing as it may contain acid residues. It is essential to maintain the prefilter or the absolute filter will just clogg up very quickly.

The absolute rectangular pleated paper filters in these units are rated at either 1 micron or 0.3 micron (hospital grade) although the more blocked they become the more effectively they filter finer and finer particles, the less air they pump out. If the filter is completely blocked it should not be too difficult to fit replacement filters or modify them to take lower cost filters.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th April 2006, 10:19 AM
It will be essential that units can be picked up from the Perth Metro Area.

:( :( :(

woodbe
5th April 2006, 10:37 AM
BobL, I have a mate in Perth who is into woodworking and who suffers from asthma. He may be interested, I will contact him to find out.

Regards and thanks for thinking of the ww community.

scooter
6th April 2006, 10:23 PM
Bob, I'm with Skew, but thank you for the offer, very considerate.

Cheers..............Sean