PDA

View Full Version : I just layem

ozwinner
5th April 2006, 08:23 PM
Welcome back viewer.
Here is a house I have almost completed bricking up.
We nick named it Darth Vadar, or The Death Star, basicly because of the shiney bricks.
On a sunny day its hard to look at the bricks, they look gooder or is that badder, in real life.

We thougth about making one wall a parabolic mirror so the neighbours would be scorched off the face of the earth when the sun was in Sagitarious.
But we couldnt nut it out, so we just built it plumb. :rolleyes:

Al :p

Clinton1
5th April 2006, 08:41 PM
:d

Sir Stinkalot
5th April 2006, 08:49 PM
Whats with all the wasted bricks on the ground Al? :eek:
Lay one ..... drop one .... lay one .... drop one ...

ozwinner
5th April 2006, 08:55 PM
Whats with all the wasted bricks on the ground Al? :eek:
Lay one ..... drop one .... lay one .... drop one ...

Some are shiney, some arent.
When you cut a bat ( half brick ) only one end of the brick is shiney.
Most ( nearly all) of the bricks are cracked, when you try to cut them they just fall apart.

The client of the house paid huge money for these bricks ( catagory 6 bricks ) and they have to be baked to order.

I was directed to do a good job so I did.

Al :)

Groggy
5th April 2006, 09:14 PM
Whassa category six brick?

(I hope I'm not going to regret asking...)

ozwinner
5th April 2006, 09:16 PM
Its shiney. :rolleyes:
Like semi glazed, man. ( I had to add the man, as it looked weird man without it.)

journeyman Mick
5th April 2006, 10:19 PM
............But we couldnt nut it out, so we just built it plumb. :rolleyes:

Al,
there's more than a few brickies around who haven't nutted out how to build things plumb!;) (and carpenters:mad: )

Mick

ozwinner
5th April 2006, 10:30 PM
I know what you mean Mick.
We constantly come across prefab frames that are 20mm out of plumb.
How, I dont know.
Then we have to work around it and make it all look good.

We did a house last winter with TermiMesh, so we had to set the first course then go away while the TermiMesh man did his thing.

We set the brick at 150mm as standard.
This house had no eaves, as is the fashion.
How were we to know the whole frame was racked 25mm to the rear?
Must of happend when they set up the trusses.

That job cost me $K's

Such is life.

echnidna
5th April 2006, 10:36 PM
Al,
there's more than a few brickies around who haven't nutted out how to build things plumb!;) (and carpenters:mad: )

Mick

Hey Mick, I didn't know you'd seen sum o the houses I built:eek:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th April 2006, 12:17 AM
We did a house last winter with TermiMesh, so we had to set the first course then go away while the TermiMesh man did his thing.

We set the brick at 150mm as standard.
This house had no eaves, as is the fashion.
How were we to know the whole frame was racked 25mm to the rear?
Must of happend when they set up the trusses.

That job cost me $K's

About ten years back I was doing some work on a site where they were laying sandstone blocks. You know the big buggers, about 200x400mm? Apparently the framers didn't know how to run levels... every window frame was out, by almost a full course in one case! Maybe not so bad with normal bricks, but with blocks? :eek:

The brickies ran the courses up to the first window before they realised while setting the strings and called it to the attention of the site-manager. Of course, the framers were long gone. He did a little dance up'n'down on the spot, yelling at the brickies, eventually telling 'em to adjust the bloody things themselves. Most brickies I know would... but there must've been a bit of friction behind the scenes. :rolleyes: Instead they pulled the pin, saying they ain't carpenters, talking union, rah, rah, rah. More song'n'dance for another hour or so, 'til the next thing I know they're all back at work.

But instead of reaching for hammers they removed parts of a couple of courses and ground the beds down to get under the next window... then up to match the next... and so on.

That house is still there, roller-coaster courses and all. Wonder what the owner thinks? :D:D