PDA

View Full Version : tools a beginner should obtain

mickp
5th April 2006, 10:51 PM
Hi All

recently I picked up a heap of veneers at an auction here, kwila, birdseye maple, oak, jarrah, huon pine, blackheart sass were the species with the larger quantities.
wasn't looking to buy timber at this auction,I was after the bandsaw but the price went way over my limit.
the veneers cost me $75 as a bulk item, the pieces seem to average from 150-300mm wide x 400-1500 long. there was no way I was going home empty handed, was enough veneer to almost half fill a 6' x 4' trailer

well now I have the veneer I need find out what tools I will need for working it eg glues, saws, knives anything that you can recommend will make working with veneer a bit easier. and no I aint giving it away lol

thanks
Mick

Wood Butcher
5th April 2006, 11:16 PM
A really sharp knife. Try looking for craft scalpels. And a good straight ruler.

Lucky Bugger and have fun!!

NewLou
5th April 2006, 11:51 PM
Hey there

If your really serious about making the most of your veneers Get yourself a vacuum press. Its extreamly satisfying to make a grubby old MDF substrate into something special!!!

Some veneer tapen hammer Hide glue (So your veneering can be easly repaired) a few quality rollers and knowledge of how to flatten and store veneers appropriately is really handy.

Which ever way you go you'll have fun!!!

REgards Lou:)

Ashore
5th April 2006, 11:57 PM
I was put on to a 50% off sale at a local hardwear shop by farmboy but when I got there it was a no reserve auction .....$700 later I find I have to have a stall to get rid of all the excess....Got my moneys worth but the other stuff lumped into each item..... so who wants a 6'x3' louver door or 200 various angel brackets, couple of hunderd self adhesive hooks 100 key chains, garden tools rawl plugs Solid brass coat hooks and 1000 other assorted items etc etc
The good stuff was the 10 stanley chisels in the tool buy for $80 with the stanley knives x 20 replacement blades x25 drill bitts form a file units and spare blades ... etc etc

the big problem was trying to convince SHMBO as to the value of such a buy......... Still if I can recupe the cost at the markets all is well and if I don't then I will proberly spend a lot more time on the forum

Bodgy
6th April 2006, 12:07 AM
Ashore

Splice up the main brace, shiver the timbers, two sheets to the wind and put it on EPay.

There's a lot of mugs out there, you'll end up making a quid without leaving yr computer desk.

7 bells of the evening watch and I'm bound for me bunk!

chrisb691
6th April 2006, 11:28 AM
well now I have the veneer I need find out what tools I will need for working it eg glues, saws, knives anything that you can recommend will make working with veneer a bit easier. and no I aint giving it away lol

thanks
Mick

The tools you need will depend on what you are going to do with it. If you are thinking of Marquetry, then I would suggest you pop along to the local library, and see what books they have available. You will find that most books on Marquetry, have at least some of the writings devoted to getting going. There are lots of tutorial pages on the net, and I'll give you a couple as starters.

http://www.staffsmarq.freeserve.co.uk/index.html
http://www.marquetry.org/hows_it_done.htm

Even better, would be to see if there is a club, or society, near you, and go along for some pointers.

Lignum
6th April 2006, 08:34 PM
Mick:) Go for -

A good quality pair of scissors for cutting across the leafs of veneer.

A Pfeil No 1 chip carving knife (scalpels are to flimsy for beginers)

A good 1mt heavy straight edge.

A roller and squeege for spreading glue.

A heavy rubber veneer roller for flattening veneer when layed.

A water mist bottle for your water/glycerine mix.

Quality masking tape (blue masking is the best) for your first leaf joining.

Veneer tape and dispenser with sponge for water for the second (and final joining)

Other tools and bits and peices are needed to apply the veneer, but those i mentioned are the basics to get you started. Happy veneering:)