PDA

View Full Version : Just finished a couple of boxes

stride88
6th April 2006, 02:39 PM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I've been lurking for awhile, but I thought I would finally post a few pictures of a couple of boxes I just finished.

The first one is made from padauk and curly maple. The other is birdseye maple and bubinga. All the joinery is handcut and the hinges are handmade as well. The finish is shellac and wax.

Thanks for looking.

chrisb691
6th April 2006, 02:50 PM
G'Day Stride, and welcome aboard. LOVERLY boxes, well done.:)

Sculptured Box
6th April 2006, 02:53 PM
Hi

Welcome and congratulations on your craftsmanship. I particularly like the dome lid.

Keep on posting your work on this Forum!

Tony Ward
www.tonyward.org

DPB
6th April 2006, 03:22 PM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I've been lurking for awhile, but I thought I would finally post a few pictures of a couple of boxes I just finished.

The first one is made from padauk and curly maple. The other is birdseye maple and bubinga. All the joinery is handcut and the hinges are handmade as well. The finish is shellac and wax.

Thanks for looking.

Great to see such quality work from a fellow Canuck.;) Can you tell us a little more? What is the thickness of the timber in these two boxes? How did you do the shaping (coves on the lid and indent on the front of the Padauk box)?

A greenie coming your way!

outback
6th April 2006, 04:16 PM
Hmmph, another person to add to my ignore list. I just hate people with more talent than me, which makes it nearly everyone.

Well done, beeeeoootiful boxes.

avagreeny

RufflyRustic
6th April 2006, 05:05 PM
Hi Stride88
Beautiful, Georgeous, Awesome and Envy-inspiring boxes.!!!!!

Please please are you able to tell us how you did the wooden hinges?

thanks
Wendy

growl
6th April 2006, 05:06 PM
What lovely boxes. Puts mine to shame.

Well Done

Growl

AlexS
6th April 2006, 06:56 PM
Great stuff, stride, obviously hand cut dovetails, and beautiful design on both of them.

Welcome to our world.

zenwood
6th April 2006, 11:17 PM
Beautiful boxes, with very nice set of details. Would love to see some WIP shots, if you've got any.

Wongo
6th April 2006, 11:33 PM
World class craftsmanship. You make very beautiful boxes. I really like the dovetails.

Scally
7th April 2006, 12:07 AM
Spectacular boxes 88.

I like all the different features.

The figure of the timber is great.

The construction and finish of a professional.

Keep 'em coming.

Andy Mac
7th April 2006, 12:14 AM
Awesome work Stride! We look forward to more:D

Cheers,

KevM
7th April 2006, 12:17 AM
Wow....simply beautiful. Show us more of this exceptional work.

Greenie dispatched.

Kev M

Hickory
7th April 2006, 07:03 AM
I would say "Ab-So-Rootly Loverly" Quite impressive wookmanship there. I like the wood hinges and the way they are set in the top. Ever try setting them in the bottom as well?

Wavy Curly Maple.... Interesting touch, at first I thought the curls were showing off a bit and making it look wavy but I enlarged the pic and saw, Floating panel, right?

Thanks for posting.

ddeen
7th April 2006, 02:12 PM
very nice work. one day I will be brave enough to post some of mine.

Wardy
7th April 2006, 03:42 PM
True craftsmanship and great looking boxes.Look forward to you posting more.
Cheers Wardy

TTIT
7th April 2006, 04:14 PM
Always some bugger raising the bar another notch eh! :rolleyes: Absolutely beautiful craftmanship. :) Now I'll never be able to post any of mine - when/if I get round to making them.:o

BobR
7th April 2006, 04:50 PM
Welcome. Excellent work. I really like the shop made hinges and lock.

Auld Bassoon
7th April 2006, 07:03 PM
Great boxes mate!

I especially like the long/short dovetails; very neat! Super timber too :)

ozwinner
7th April 2006, 07:17 PM
What they all said, and welcome to the forum.

Al :)

Harry72
7th April 2006, 09:17 PM
I second what Al said!

ozwinner
7th April 2006, 09:29 PM
I second what Al said!

Slacker....

Al :p :D

doug the slug
7th April 2006, 10:01 PM
Is this a new forum record? stride88 has made one post and he has all the rep point lights on, must be a first, surely. and yes, im impressed with the craftsmanship and design. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

one thing i would like to see in photos of boxes and most other works on the forum is some sort of object included in the picture to give a sense of scale. eg a coin, matchbox, ruler with readable scale, half inch chisel or whatever just so we have something to relate the size of the work to.

NewLou
7th April 2006, 10:17 PM
Very nice craftsmanship!!!

............................great to see you join in and WELCOME! please keep the posts coming I for one look foward to seeing more of your work!!!

REGards Lou:)

stride88
8th April 2006, 02:17 AM
I want to thank everyone for their nice comments. It's encouraging to know that all you box makers like what I've done.

Some of you had questions - I'll try to answer them all here:

Both boxes use 3/4" (approx 19mm) for the sides and 1/2" (approx 13mm) for the front and back. I like to use the thicker material for the sides because it gives the dovetail pins a more pleasing look.

I created the curves (i.e. the wavy floating panel and the "domed" lid) using a couple of hand planes. For the concave curves I used a homemade plane that has a convex, curved bottom. For the convex curves, I used a regular block plane.

The indents in the front and lid of the padauk box were created with a chisel - I basically cut a "V" shape with the chisel and then kind of shaped it a bit during sanding.

The hinges are just basically a box joint (or finger joint) with the fingers rounded over. I used a 1/8" maple dowel for the hinge pin. You could make these with one of those finger joint jigs (there are lot of plans for them on the Internet) but I found it just as easy to cut them by hand using the same technique as for cutting dovetails. Looking at the hinge, you can see that the top part of the finger for the hinge leaf in the lid is not rounded over. This works beautifully as a lid stop - the lids opens to just past 90 degrees.

Thanks again for all your comments. This is a great forum - I hope the box making section starts getting some more traffic.

Cheers,

Brent

Harry72
8th April 2006, 02:50 AM
"I hope the box making section starts getting some more traffic."

Keep showing boxes like that and it will!

Gajm
8th April 2006, 08:28 PM
Beautiful work, I really like the dmall details and design in those, would be proud to own one like that and absolutely thrilled to make anything near the quality, well done...i might have to work out how to send a green thing

Peter36
10th April 2006, 09:56 PM
Always some bugger raising the bar another notch eh! :rolleyes: Absolutely beautiful craftmanship. :) Now I'll never be able to post any of mine - when/if I get round to making them.:o

I think it's been raised a couple of notches :D Terrific design and craftmanship
Peter:)

rightendup
9th June 2009, 12:08 PM
Went poking around and found this great box.
WOW!
Great dovetails inspiring design - love the way it is designed to be opened.
Say! - where'd that person go anyway?
Anyway.... just WOW!

Old farmer
9th June 2009, 05:57 PM
.........and wow from me, too. Somehow, I missed this thread in April, stumbled upon it now because of rightendup's post.
Beautiful work, thanks for posting........... although it is very disheartening to see such skills, far beyond anything to which I might aspire.