PDA

View Full Version : Jesse

Scally
6th April 2006, 11:37 PM
A while ago I went to a Neil Scobie school to learn how to make a dining chair.

It was a good week and I now have a set of myrtle chairs.

Neil talked me in to coming for a weekend wood carving school with John Van Der Kolk.

This is what I made.

Red cedar torso on a blackwood base.

We used the arbotec for most of the work, chisels for the finer work than a fair bit of sanding.

ozwinner
7th April 2006, 12:06 AM
Very nice indeed.
I have just bought a book on female figure carving, and when I get time I want to carve something nice like yours.

Al :)

Wood Butcher
7th April 2006, 08:21 AM
That looks fantastic!
What's the timber and what finish have you used??

Great Work!

Scally
8th April 2006, 08:16 PM
The torso is a block of Red Cedar.
It is a nice dense piece of wood with good figure. I like the shimmer across the chest.

The finish is several coats of Livos Kunos oil.
It is eay to use, just brush or wipe it on and wipe it off after a few minutes.
Buff it with a soft cotton cloth and you get a silky smooth, low sheen finish.
It darkened the cedar to a deep dark mahogany-red.

The base is a block of Tassie Blackwood that was blackened by wiping it with turps that had been working on a few rusty nails for a few days.
The blackwood turned black as soon as the turps was brushed on.
I finished it with Kunos oil.
It looks like a big block of ebony.

Auld Bassoon
8th April 2006, 08:46 PM
Scally, that really is a wonderful piece! I must congratulate you on the end result. I just wish I had half a skerrick of the artistic touch that you obviously do!

Scally
8th April 2006, 09:44 PM
That is exactly what I said to Neil.

I am happy if I can get the edges of a box to line up.

There were about 8 of us at the school. All back yard woodies 6 blokes and 2 ladies, one was 8 months pregnant.

John and Neil led us through the process. I had never used an Arbortec before.
We drew the front and side profiles onto a block of wood then cut most of the waste away on the bandsaw.
John would point out blocks or wedges to remove with the arbortec and let us loose. Then come back and give us a bit more to do.

They kept an eye on us and helped when they thought we needed it.

After that weekend I made a couple more at home to reinforce what we did at the school. They turned out OK too.

I now use the Arbortec to do lots of different shaping jobs. It is quick and gives plenty of flexibility.

It is pretty cool having a carving of this around the house. It certainly impresses the friends.
Attached is a pic of Neil Scobie and John Van Der Kolk with 2 torsos made on the weekend and the other is the work of us students.

Just find a good teacher or spend a weekend in Coffs Harbour at one of Neil's schools.

Auld Bassoon
8th April 2006, 09:49 PM
Awwww! Another temptation lines up in the queue :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th April 2006, 10:24 PM
Today in kitchen stadium our challenger is up against Iron Chef Scally. And the theme ingredient is.... the Arbortech!

Sampling the Iron Chef's course:

Gourmet critic: "Overall, the flow between courses is quite pleasing, the colours are nurturing on the eye and it looks very tactile. It all ties together very nicely, an excellent effort."
Some inane actress: {giggles} "It tickles my mouth!" {giggles}
Frumpy dowager: "A bit spicey for my taste and a bit heavy at the start. That being said, it balances out and gives a very pleasing effect. Not my usual thing at all, but I like it." {blush}
Actress again: {giggle}

Looking good so far! Now for the challengers dish...

:D:D

Scally
9th April 2006, 11:23 AM
If my little Jesse is not your taste try Peter's Big Mamma.

The chainsaw got a bit of a workout before Peter started with the Arbortec.

Scally
9th April 2006, 11:32 AM
Shelly went for the petite figure.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th April 2006, 04:44 PM
I'd be happy to have any of those pieces in my 'umble home gallery.

I'm just jealous. ;)

DPB
9th April 2006, 04:50 PM
Very nice indeed.
I have just bought a book on female figure carving, and when I get time I want to carve something nice like yours.

Al :)

Al, Penthouse doesn't count as such a publication.:D

schaf
11th April 2006, 08:08 AM
Great work,well done.It must be great to spend time at a weekend workshop with experts.
Regards