PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer...

Marlon
7th April 2006, 04:35 AM
Hi everyone my name's Marlon and I'm 14 from London. Over the past few months I've started noticing some really well carved pieces of wood, and I'm really interested in starting woodcarving/whittling (If there's any difference). If anyone could give me any info on what tools I need what wood I should get and any other info that'd be great. Thanks in advance,

-Marlon

Pat
7th April 2006, 08:09 AM
Get hold of Chris Pye's books and have a look at his website (http://www.chrispye-woodcarving.com), as he is in England. Another site is carverscompanion.com (http://carverscompanion.com/index.html)

The main thing is to get a suitable "soft" wood and have a go.

Enjoy :)

dunno103
14th June 2006, 11:16 PM
Hi

Just saw this and checked Chris Pye's website.

Thanks Pat it is excellent

Steve

Wild Dingo
19th June 2006, 12:53 PM
The main thing is to get a suitable "soft" wood and have a go.

Enjoy :)

And THAT is the trick!!! DON'T do like moi did and use desert hardened hardwoods for the first trial... Jarrah for the second... Tuart for the third... Sheoak for the fourth

You would think a fella would learn eh?!!

SOFT WOOD!!! especially in the learning curve stages!! :rolleyes: So why didnt someone tell me that mmmm??

Cheers for the two website links Pat great stuff!! :cool:

Pat
19th June 2006, 08:17 PM
Shane, it took me a while to learn that Ironbark, Tallowwood and Jarrah are not the easiest woods to carve, so do not feel alone in your plight.:)

BobL
21st June 2006, 12:57 AM
It depends what you mean by carving. If you are just carving a tool handle I don't think Jarrah is as hard as it's made out to be, in fact it's relatively soft for an Australian hardwood and a piece of reasonably straight grained stuff is not so bad even to learn on.

Wild Dingo
21st June 2006, 03:33 AM
yes I see your point Bob... for a tool handle... but for a boob? eh?? a womans noggin? all those intricate curves and lines they have? ghastly job with Jarrah believe me I tried... even for an animal its damnable stuff... specially for a newbie to carving... now Huon Pine would be far better dont you agree?